Introductory Psychology class or any Psychology class for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdwant2be

Reaction score
I was planning to take a pharmacology class this semester, but I'm thinking of switching it to a psychology class. I took an AP Psychology class but just learn on AAMC that some schools won't accept it, so I'm thinking of taking a 400 level psych class to fulfill the psychology requirement. Does any one or any admin know if this is acceptable or does it have to be an introductory psychology 100? @LizzyM, @chilly_md, @wysdoc
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have access to the MSAR. That will provide the admission requirements for every school in the US. Frankly, I've not heard of psychology as a required course at any school although some people take it to meet a gen ed requirement or as prep for the behavior/social section of the MCAT.

No, I don't have it but will look into it. I can also call the school, but class start this Monday and would have to switch soon, thus reaching out here. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning to take a pharmacology class this semester, but I'm thinking of switching it to a psychology class. I took an AP Psychology class but just learn on AAMC that some schools won't accept it, so I'm thinking of taking a 400 level psych class to fulfill the psychology requirement. Does any one or any admin know if this is acceptable or does it have to be an introductory psychology 100? @LizzyM, @chilly_md, @wysdoc
Thank you
I have no context for this decision. At many programs that I'm aware of, the AP course in psychology can give you credit for some introductory psychology class, but "intro psych" to me consists of an intro course sequence (including behavioral, experimental, social, physiological, etc.). Your psych department should advise you if their 400-level classes are appropriate.

Psychology AND Social Science are required at Indiana University SOM.

I have no context for this decision. At many programs that I'm aware of, the AP course in psychology can give you credit for some introductory psychology class, but "intro psych" to me consists of an intro course sequence (including behavioral, experimental, social, physiological, etc.). Your psych department should advise you if their 400-level classes are appropriate.
This is drug and the brain psych class so it seems more interesting than taking Intro Psychology 100 which I already took as an AP class. Another option is to only apply to schools that would accept my AP Psychology class. Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
I used my upper level Psych courses for a lot of psych or behavioral health requirements (took AP psych in high school). It should work but if you can intro psych will be what is tested on the MCAT so that might be helpful to take as a refresher course (I had to reteach myself psych for the MCAT)

Reactions: 1 user
I used my upper level Psych courses for a lot of psych or behavioral health requirements (took AP psych in high school). It should work but if you can intro psych will be what is tested on the MCAT so that might be helpful to take as a refresher course (I had to reteach myself psych for the MCAT)
I already took my MCAT so just concern about the school's psychology requirements but it's good to hear that you had no problem with the upper level psych courses. Thank you

As has been said, MSAR or the school-specific webpages will be the best reference. I believe an upper level psychology course should be able to substitute an intro class if need be.

Look at your university's policies for CLEP. it very well can show up as a P / S for a certified college class on your transcript. Not sure what AP credit would look like. Ask the registrar if it will show up with a designation under it etc denoting it was done via CLEP, but I imagine that CLEP is still viewed more favorably than AP (I have no idea).

Would be doubtful you could take a 400 level course, most I assume would require pre-reqs beyond "intro to psych" class. Check the requirements, but there are plenty of good 200 level courses in all likelihood.

Here is the information in case you couldn't find it, they like to bury it on their website:

Look at your university's policies for CLEP. it very well can show up as a P / S for a certified college class on your transcript. Not sure what AP credit would look like. Ask the registrar if it will show up with a designation under it etc denoting it was done via CLEP, but I imagine that CLEP is still viewed more favorably than AP (I have no idea).

Would be doubtful you could take a 400 level course, most I assume would require pre-reqs beyond "intro to psych" class. Check the requirements, but there are plenty of good 200 level courses in all likelihood.

Here is the information in case you couldn't find it, they like to bury it on their website:
Thanks for the links-very informative.