Psychology as sole research topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carson16666

Reaction score
Hi, I've only done psychology related research and I plan on continuing with it. I'd probably be involved in several different psychology labs and I was wondering if medical schools would look down upon having only psychology as a research topic. Should I branch out? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've only done psychology related research and I plan on continuing with it. I'd probably be involved in several different psychology labs and I was wondering if medical schools would look down upon having only psychology as a research topic. Should I branch out? Thanks! :)
It's fine.

Think scientific method.

1. You're free to study something that stimulates and satisfies your intellectual and mental curiosity.

2. The scientific method applies to countless things, including psychology, behavioral psychology, psychological science, cognitive science, etc.

3. Research experience includes activities that support an understanding of scientific method, evidence of problem solving and observational skills, data entry and analysis for the purpose of reflection/study and other related experiences that exhibit a contribution to a research project.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last year, and my research was in clinical psych and mental health. I had no issues. I did get asked "why medicine, why not psychology" a couple of times, so just be prepared for that. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied last year, and my research was in clinical psych and mental health. I had no issues. I did get asked "why medicine, why not psychology" a couple of times, so just be prepared for that. Good luck!
Out of curiosity, how did you respond to that question? A lot of my experience is in that same boat, and I've worked with psychologists and psychiatrists, just ended up vibing with psychiatry better (as well as a few other fields of medicine). Just want the inspiration for when I inevitably have to articulate this. I know everyone's reasoning can be different, but sometimes I feel I just can't find the right words during practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, how did you respond to that question? A lot of my experience is in that same boat, and I've worked with psychologists and psychiatrists, just ended up vibing with psychiatry better (as well as a few other fields of medicine). Just want the inspiration for when I inevitably have to articulate this. I know everyone's reasoning can be different, but sometimes I feel I just can't find the right words during practice.
Through my experiences, I found that I was interested in the science of medicine and how that can be used to address patients' concerns, so for me, medicine would make more sense than psychology. I talked about how I enjoy research, which I can do that as a physician; but I can't really utilize the science of medicine as a psychologist. Does that make sense?

My PS made a strong case for why medicine, so I think being able to re-articulate that really helped. Personally, I wasn't committed to psychiatry as a speciality, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that!

Through my experiences, I found that I was interested in the science of medicine and how that can be used to address patients' concerns, so for me, medicine would make more sense than psychology. I talked about how I enjoy research, which I can do that as a physician; but I can't really utilize the science of medicine as a psychologist. Does that make sense?

My PS made a strong case for why medicine, so I think being able to re-articulate that really helped. Personally, I wasn't committed to psychiatry as a speciality, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that!
That's a great way to put that! Thank you. Most of my current interviews have been closed file, but I'm sure the question will come up for my open file. I appreciate the insight.