Introverted disadvantage =(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JumboShrimp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel as if i'm at a disadvantage being an introvert trying to pursue a career in medicine. For the past year, I've been doing clinical research with one of the MD(s) at our school hospital along with another research student. I'm the quiet, get the work done type of person. I do love talking to her patients, so I don't consider myself shy. The other student is more of a "brownoser" likes to make things bigger than they are type of person. I feel as though I won't be able to succeed with the type of personality that I have since i "may come across as not interested?". I have never been or could be a brownoser. Any thoughts? kinda feeling down right now =,(

Members don't see this ad.

seriously dude? seriously? you feel down for not being a brownoser?

well good for you you shouldn't be. Those who are overly brownosing (if thats even a word) are just your typical pre-med gunners. You can still be successful by not sucking up and sucking the D*** of the MD you do research with. You will run across people like this all the time, and half the time they will try to belittle you or put you down and put themselves on a mountaintop because their egos are so big.....which is great; you just have to have the last laugh;

This has happened to me countless times at my school, and you know what I do; I keep my mouth shut, come in, take the test, merk it, get the highest grade in the class, and see if they have anything to say; but seriously...don't get your feelings hurt so easily; Im assuming your a freshman/sophmore who has yet to come in contact with many GUNNERS/BROWNOSERS

don't think that being an introvert will give you a disadvantage. there are patients who like introverted people just like there are patients who like extroverted people. actually, i think being quiet makes an introverted interesting b/c others need to engage, ask questions, take their time before getting to know about the person. cheer up and don't feel down! who knows? you might become extrovert once you start your clinical rotations when you're a 3rd/4th year med student. until then be who you are. study hard, aim high on mcat, and get into a great med school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
seriously dude? seriously? you feel down for not being a brownoser?

well good for you you shouldn't be. Those who are overly brownosing (if thats even a word) are just your typical pre-med gunners. You can still be successful by not sucking up and sucking the D*** of the MD you do research with. You will run across people like this all the time, and half the time they will try to belittle you or put you down and put themselves on a mountaintop because their egos are so big.....which is great; you just have to have the last laugh;

This has happened to me countless times at my school, and you know what I do; I keep my mouth shut, come in, take the test, merk it, get the highest grade in the class, and see if they have anything to say; but seriously...don't get your feelings hurt so easily; Im assuming your a freshman/sophmore who has yet to come in contact with many GUNNERS/BROWNOSERS

Thanks for the reply! I'm a college senior, and yes i have come across many gunners/brownosers in class which hasn't really bothered me since I do come from a big school. Since it's just him and I(i'm a girl), I feel like a fly on the wall since he is always the talkative big ego type of person which I feel like the MD sees that as "more interested in her research." Everytime I'm around this guy I want to disappear because I feel so belittled =( I feel as though I won't succeed being modest

I feel as if i'm at a disadvantage being an introvert trying to pursue a career in medicine. For the past year, I've been doing clinical research with one of the MD(s) at our school hospital along with another research student. I'm the quiet, get the work done type of person. I do love talking to her patients, so I don't consider myself shy. The other student is more of a "brownoser" likes to make things bigger than they are type of person. I feel as though I won't be able to succeed with the type of personality that I have since i "may come across as not interested?". I have never been or could be a brownoser. Any thoughts? kinda feeling down right now =,(

being an introvert has nothing to do with anything. you can be just as good of a doctor, communicator, team player, etc as an introvert. or even better. all introvert means is you dont talk as much.

you seem to have a problem with your personality because you are obviously jealous of your lab partners personality because he is more well liked. i just recommend that you get out there, talk to people, be interested, confident, and engage with people so they like you. don't be aloof; show genuine interest in people. nothing wrong with a little brown nosing too, it shows that you respect people in a higher position than you. like say, wow, i really respect you or something like that.

i actually dont like brownnosers, overly enthusiastic types, but i know what you mean, it makes you feel bad when they get ahead of you. its not because you are an introvert, he's just trying really hard. i'm in the same boat as you in student govt, a bunch of brown nosers they are. you need to out-brownnose him and put him in his place. be really pretentious and pretend like you know a lot.

a non-confident person assumes that strangers are better than he is. a confident person assumes that he is better than strangers. food for thought.

being an introvert has nothing to do with anything. you can be just as good of a doctor, communicator, team player, etc as an introvert. or even better. all introvert means is you dont talk as much.

you seem to have a problem with your personality because you are obviously jealous of your lab partners personality because he is more well liked. i just recommend that you get out there, talk to people, be interested, confident, and engage with people so they like you. don't be aloof; show genuine interest in people. nothing wrong with a little brown nosing too, it shows that you respect people in a higher position than you. like say, wow, i really respect you or something like that.

i actually dont like brownnosers, overly enthusiastic types, but i know what you mean, it makes you feel bad when they get ahead of you. its not because you are an introvert, he's just trying really hard. i'm in the same boat as you in student govt, a bunch of brown nosers they are. you need to out-brownnose him and put him in his place. be really pretentious and pretend like you know a lot.

a non-confident person assumes that strangers are better than he is. a confident person assumes that he is better than strangers. food for thought.

It's not that I'm not liked, her staff and patients do like me...I'm just not the overly talkative make things bigger than they are type of person.

not surprising your username is premedgunner...are you serious? You know so much about the OP that you are concluding she MUST be jealous of the person she is working with? Worst advice anyone could have given...she already stated that it is not in her nature to be a brown-noser and I completely agree that it is in her best interest to stay that way and not let people like you sway her opinion. Responses like this make me realize how many people that enter the medical profession (or hope to) are seriously unfit...and I'll give you a hint, one of you is fit and the other isn't...I'm pretty sure I don't need to spell it out for you.

It's not that I'm not liked, her staff and patients do like me...I'm just not the overly talkative make things bigger than they are type of person.

don't worry about it...the personality you're describing will not set you back and don't let posters on SDN like premedgunner make you feel bad about yourself.

Actually, research suggests being a brownnoser actually helps you get to where you want. Personally, I'm not, and I've seen the consequences of it at jobs. I've seen brownnosers get away with some crazy stuff, and me, although I've put in three times the work (there's hard data backing it up), will instantly catch **** if I make a mistake. But you know what? You are who you are. As long as you can interact with patients, don't sweat it.

yes yes, i know, i'm gonna be a terrible doctor. i gave some pretty good advice there if you actually read it.

coming from the guy who is still pre-med to the guy who is a 2nd yr med student....and who also posted in another thread that he hasn't even gotten the opportunity to have girls hate him, most likely because your personality is abrasive and not conducive to being in relationships. Why don't you read what you wrote before posting such crap...and BTW I never said you personally would make a bad doctor, I don't know you and therefore cannot make that assertion. Also you might want to re-read what I wrote because I don't care what else you said, the bolded sentences were enough for me to completely disregard what you said.

Actually, research suggests being a brownnoser actually helps you get to where you want. Personally, I'm not, and I've seen the consequences of it at jobs. I've seen brownnosers get away with some crazy stuff, and me, although I've put in three times the work (there's hard data backing it up), will instantly catch **** if I make a mistake. But you know what? You are who you are. As long as you can interact with patients, don't sweat it.

I don't deny that, but if it is in your character to NOT be like that than I stand by the fact that you should be yourself, not try to be someone else you think is "better."

I don't deny that, but if it is in your character to NOT be like that than I stand by the fact that you should be yourself, not try to be someone else you think is "better."
I agree. I don't try to brown nose. I just live with the consequences.

Members don't see this ad :)
coming from the guy who is still pre-med to the guy who is a 2nd yr med student....and who also posted in another thread that he hasn't even gotten the opportunity to have girls hate him, most likely because your personality is abrasive and not conducive to being in relationships. Why don't you read what you wrote before posting such crap...and BTW I never said you personally would make a bad doctor, I don't know you and therefore cannot make that assertion. Also you might want to re-read what I wrote because I don't care what else you said, the bolded sentences were enough for me to completely disregard what you said.

get off your high horse, 2nd year med student. that doesn't make you a better person than me, just older.

i dont see how my other posts are relevant to this one, other than character defamation, in which case, i agree. i tend to favor jadedness and sarcasm, and have little patience for niceties. so what. like i said, irrelevant.

its people like you that put a wet blanket over forums, making others afraid to post what they think and give honest opinons. well guess what, you will never censor me. get over it. emotions are complicated, i'm not wrong because i associate some emotions with jealosy. this is a very complex matter.

don't worry about it...the personality you're describing will not set you back and don't let posters on SDN like premedgunner make you feel bad about yourself.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice! it was just that i have been having alot of self doubt lately due to this. Gradewise, i'm doing great, but felt as though my personality is a barrier in me being successful in medicine.

From your first post, OP, you don't seem like an introvert. You just seem like a socially-average person.

I feel as if i'm at a disadvantage being an introvert trying to pursue a career in medicine.(

You likely are at a disadvantage. This topic has repeated ad nauseam. Being enthusiastic, energetic, attentive, etc., in a conversation make a positive impression. Lack thereof make a poor impression. It's just that simple. If you can't deal with people directly, expressively, and eloquently, you will not be successful in a profession that requires direct conversations under often difficult circumstances.

It's a laugh to me that so many shy people think the opposite of an introvert is a brown-noser. Aint the case, and wishing won't make it so.

You likely are at a disadvantage. This topic has repeated ad nauseam. Being enthusiastic, energetic, attentive, etc., in a conversation make a positive impression. Lack thereof make a poor impression. It's just that simple. If you can't deal with people directly, expressively, and eloquently, you will not be successful in a profession that requires direct conversations under often difficult circumstances.

It's a laugh to me that so many shy people think the opposite of an introvert is a brown-noser. Aint the case, and wishing won't make it so.

The OP clearly said she enjoyed talking to patients, and her problem, at least from what I can gather, was her interaction with her PI not patients.

Self described as quiet and may come across as not interested.

Introverted people tend to not enjoy being in social situations, talking to patients would fit this description and therefore if the OP was truly introverted I doubt that would be something she would enjoy. There are many posters on SDN who ask what specialties they could do that don't involve dealing with people---these people are truly introverted.

It's more so interactions with the PI...I have no problem talking to the patients, who do actually enjoy my company. I consent them for her studies

Last edited:
It's more so interactions with the PI...I have no problem talking to the patients.

certain people on SDN are very much like the colleague you describe and will therefore be terrible advisors with regard to this issue. I know exactly what you are talking about and I can almost promise you that as long as you know how to conduct yourself in social situations and enjoy being around people you have the personality that is right for medicine.

sincerity & honesty >>> sucking up & being fake & being a gunner

Seriously, I can stand people being arrogant jerks, but fake people drive me up the wall.

And it doesn't matter if you're introvert, real interest eventually shows itself over time. Brown nosing only gets you so far. Eventually, people are going to ask you to sacrifice/prioritize and the brown nosing person who probably cares about himself/herself and his/her success probably won't be able to make the sacrifice.

Show your interest in what you do rather than what you say...always

Seriously, I can stand people being arrogant jerks, but fake people drive me up the wall.

And it doesn't matter if you're introvert, real interest eventually shows itself over time. Brown nosing only gets you so far. Eventually, people are going to ask you to sacrifice/prioritize and the brown nosing person who probably cares about himself/herself and his/her success probably won't be able to make the sacrifice.

:thumbup::thumbup:

not surprising your username is premedgunner...are you serious? You know so much about the OP that you are concluding she MUST be jealous of the person she is working with? Worst advice anyone could have given...she already stated that it is not in her nature to be a brown-noser and I completely agree that it is in her best interest to stay that way and not let people like you sway her opinion. Responses like this make me realize how many people that enter the medical profession (or hope to) are seriously unfit...and I'll give you a hint, one of you is fit and the other isn't...I'm pretty sure I don't need to spell it out for you.

^SERIOUSLY. Couldn't agree more

I agree...I feel as though when you are working in a team or with someone else the last thing you should do is make yourself look good by belittling the person next to you..I can NEVER do that. I have been nothing but nice to this guy

It's OK to be a quiet person, but you will have to make presentations constantly to attendings, with residents, patients, parents, other med students, etc. in the room.

I am in 3rd year rotations and being able to calmly and clearly present a case to a group of people is essential. I do it several times a day.

You must be able to do that to be a doctor. It is not optional. But it can be learned.

OP has described feelings and circumstances that, to me, reflect some discomfort in interpersonal dealings. People who are comfortable in social situations don't walk away from a conversation with self doubt. Or post threads asking if introversion is a disadvantage.

I was responding to that. If a person can't express a view because of reluctance or because someone else who likes to hear their own voice is hogging the airtime, that can be a problem.

It is something that can be overcome with training and practice. Or you can do nothing, call people names, and pretend it isn't an issue.

It's OK to be a quiet person, but you will have to make presentations constantly to attendings, with residents, patients, parents, other med students, etc. in the room.

I am in 3rd year rotations and being able to calmly and clearly present a case to a group of people is essential. I do it several times a day.

You must be able to do that to be a doctor. It is not optional. But it can be learned.

+1

I think the OP is just working with another student who happens to be be very extroverted and sucking up to the PI....which is making the OP feel inadequate. People try to use their social skills to gain advantages over others...it happens every day. I've even had someone explain to me how they suck up to attendings because deep down they feel their skills aren't adequate so they have to make up for it by socializing and making lots of people like them. These people might get the advantage sometimes, but in the end we all have to gain the same skills and take the same board exams...so things tend to even out in the end.

To insinuate that the OP is not fit for medicine is totally unwarranted. Yes, in the course of a medical career you are going to have to work with lots of different people. You have to learn to get along with everyone and work with them, and that is tough sometimes. But we get it done like everyone else.

Also, being an introvert does not in any way prevent you from giving a good medical presentation or doing well in med school in general. All it means is...when you go home at night maybe you would rather hang out with a couple close friends or SO, instead of go out and socialize with large groups of people. That's really all there is to it.

You'll be fine. Most medical students (and also, I assume, doctors) tend to be introverted. Some patients actually prefer introverted doctors because it makes it seem like the doctors aren't talking all day and are actually listening to what they have to say.

Just because you're introverted doesn't mean you can't act like you're extrovertedly interested in patients or whoever your audience is. While those things come naturally to an extrovert, you have to work harder to LEARN how to act the way you want to act. If you want to act more like your sycophantic coworker, observe him and take note of things he does that make other people around him respond positively. Some (all?) med schools teach you how to interact with patients with early standardized patient exposure.

From your first post, OP, you don't seem like an introvert. You just seem like a socially-average person.

Now if only I had the capacity to deduce how people are based on a single anonymous internet post, I could be the biggest psychic out there. You could make some serious $$ from this.

See there are three types of people on here, the introverts who have no friends in their actual lives (idk abt you, but since your an introvert I guess this is your category), the incredibly neurotic freaks who take every opportunity to belittle you since the only true confidence they have in life is through belittling anonymous people, and me where I just enjoy reading the posts by other two parties cause its entertaining sometimes. So you came to the right place. Im sure plenty of people on this forum can relate to you and are probably much worse off than you so don't feel bad.

As long as you talk in the interview and to a certain level to your future patients, you could live in a cave for all that matters. If you don't like talking to people don't worry about it, its not going to impact your career negatively and chances are people probably wouldn't like talking to you anyway. So everyone wins.

That's the thing for me, I'm fine talking with patients, but dealing with the higher ups and authority and all that. I pretty much would treat them with authority-respect anyway, and not let them into my life as much, since I wouldn't feel comfortable.

The thing is, I wouldn't want to talk with my colleagues 24/7, I would get annoyed at them so easily...I guess I'm the type of guy who thinks silence is awesome at times. I'd rather listen to music for an hour than have a huge conversation for 30 minutes.

The # of people i think makes a difference...it's WAY easier with 1-3 other people, after that, I tend to shut up completely and not say a word.

There are tons of introverts in my class. I'd say 25% or so. Seems low but most type-A's are on the extroverted side of normal and most med students are type-A.

Whatever you do, stay thirsty my friends.

dosequis_interesting.jpg