Introverts Make Bad Doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chevy Chase Fan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a genuine desire to help people with their problems, but I'm a pretty quiet person, so I'm concerned about my patient interaction ability. Mostly I'm just not great at things like banter about the kids' soccer games and stuff like that.

k see ya

Members don't see this ad.

I have a genuine desire to help people with their problems, but I'm a pretty quiet person, so I'm concerned about my patient interaction ability. Mostly I'm just not great at things like banter about the kids' soccer games and stuff like that.

k see ya

Some med students are less interesting to BS with than wet blankets. Don't worry about it (but you might have to perk up a bit for interviews). Besides you can always go into a specialty where your patients are unconscious, in pictures, on slides, or already dead.

Also, how are the wife/husband and kids? ;)

Some med students are less interesting to BS with than wet blankets. Don't worry about it (but you might have to perk up a bit for interviews). Besides you can always go into a specialty where your patients are unconscious, in pictures, on slides, or already dead.

Also, how are the wife/husband and kids? ;)

Agree.

You just never know who's going to turn out how. The mom of a friend is the shyest person. But the mom is an absolute beast in her ortho cases. Well... actually I shouldn't call her a beast, doesn't sound right on a mom. But you get my meaning. She is bomb stellar.

Besides sometimes, "extrovert" type of banter is a facade for lack of substance... but of course, other times they're just plain awesome, as are some "introvert" peeps

Members don't see this ad :)
Friend, have you heard the Good Word of Pathology? It is a source of salvation for wayward introverts such as yourself.

Agree.

You just never know who's going to turn out how. The mom of a friend is the shyest person. But the mom is an absolute beast in her ortho cases. Well... actually I shouldn't call her a beast, doesn't sound right on a mom. But you get my meaning. She is bomb stellar.

Besides sometimes, "extrovert" type of banter is a facade for lack of substance... but of course, other times they're just plain awesome, as are some "introvert" peeps

I don't know how I feel about introverts. But my experience with extroverts is that a good portion of them are full of it and when you get to concrete details/meanings/conversation they fail. You won't know this until you talk to them. My point is not to put down extroverts, but to make you aware that you shouldn't be intimidated by them.

An extreme introvert is annoying to work with because it gets tiring trying to read them, where as the extrovert makes it easy.

If you can't adequately express and demonstrate your caring nature, patients (and colleagues) will assume you are aloof and dispassionate. They will prefer dealing with other docs who are better able to communicate in a broader sense.

With effort and practice, you can easily learn to stretch your comfort zone to be less outwardly quiet. There are many books and programs (like Toastmasters) that can help. Don't sit back and say to yourself "that's how I am", because that's a loser's rationalization.

Its tough to for me to pep up my personality without feeling like a complete fraud. I think other people can pick up on it too.

I think it is more beneficial to be moderately introverted in medicine. Extroverts are more rewarded by social stimuli and introverts by their own thoughts. There are many specialties that don't require you to make small-talk with patients. Even if you are introverted, like I am, you can gradually learn how to make small talk and how to pretend to be interested in people's lives when you're not. Either way, you do have to be respectful, polite, and a team-player as having these qualities are necessary during rotations (and in life). Introversion and extroversion lie along a continuum so as long as you don't lie on an extreme of the scale I think you'll be okay.

Last edited:
I am inept at small-talk, too, but I have learned that it is VERY important to speak up at certain times. For instance, when someone is giving you instructions. Sometimes it can appear that you are not listening or understanding, when really you are just taking it all in. Remember to give feedback.

The fact is that if you can't interact with people - regardless of the profession - that's a weakness. I absolutely wouldn't want some of the people I've interviewed with to be my physician. They just don't have a good demeanor and are extremely awkward; why would I trust them to explain potentially life-changing medical conditions and make me feel comforted?

You don't need to be the bubbly cheerleader, but if you're going to work in medicine - a largely TEAM-focused endeavor - you have to be able to work with people.

The fact is that if you can't interact with people - regardless of the profession - that's a weakness. I absolutely wouldn't want some of the people I've interviewed with to be my physician. They just don't have a good demeanor and are extremely awkward; why would I trust them to explain potentially life-changing medical conditions and make me feel comforted?

You don't need to be the bubbly cheerleader, but if you're going to work in medicine - a largely TEAM-focused endeavor - you have to be able to work with people.

:thumbup:

The doctor's personality is insanely important even for the patient's health. I've seen a ton of patients try to manage their own health and basically make stupid medical decisions, but the physician got really assertive (still in a caring way) and had to work to convince the patient to follow his advice. I've seen some of those awkward applicants on interviews as well, and I seriously can't see them with that same assertive behavior.

That's why every single medical school has one of those "clinical skills" classes. It's not BS. OP, hopefully when med school is over you'll have overcome a lot of this... I think it just comes with time, practice, maturity and training.

I'm an introvert, and I can find a way to make small talk with patients. However, with other people, I have a hard time talking a lot, or the interest in talking a lot. I HATE HATE HATE small talk, it seems so lame. I try to blend in and talk about the weather and celebrity gossip and politics...but I don't give two ***** about any of that. I could talk about sports, movie, gaming, music for hours and hours and hours but less than 5 mins on random crap convos. I mean, I can LISTEN, but I won't say anything of value, considering:
A) I have no knowledge
B) I never gained interest

I think the purpose of small talk is not to actually be interested in what's being talked about but to make the patient feel comfortable. To make them feel that they're not just a patient to you but an actual person with a life.

Despite my own aversion to making small talk, whenever I go to the doctor's office, I find it much more annoying when the doctor just comes in, performs a bunch of tests, and then leaves. I'd rather have them make small talk than making me feel like I'm just a source of revenue who is wasting their time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to make the distinction introversion and just being shy.

You also have to realize that poll after poll finds like 80% of this forum being marked as INTJ.

I think the purpose of small talk is not to actually be interested in what's being talked about but to make the patient feel comfortable. To make them feel that they're not just a patient to you but an actual person with a life.

Despite my own aversion to making small talk, whenever I go to the doctor's office, I find it much more annoying when the doctor just comes in, performs a bunch of tests, and then leaves. I'd rather have them make small talk than making me feel like I'm just a source of revenue who is wasting their time.

Exactly. You got this one right. Thanks for refuting your earlier post, you saved me the trouble.

It's funny how many withdrawn/socially awkward people think that those who are well spoken and outgoing are phony or fakes. Lots of people are phony, but I don't think they cluster at one end or the other of this particular spectrum - you've proven that with your own comments.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that these skills are easily learned, and anyone can so. Step One is to not fool yourself into thinking that your awkwardness isn't a problem.

I'm an introvert, and I can find a way to make small talk with patients. However, with other people, I have a hard time talking a lot, or the interest in talking a lot. I HATE HATE HATE small talk, it seems so lame. I try to blend in and talk about the weather and celebrity gossip and politics...but I don't give two ***** about any of that. I could talk about sports, movie, gaming, music for hours and hours and hours but less than 5 mins on random crap convos. I mean, I can LISTEN, but I won't say anything of value, considering:
A) I have no knowledge
B) I never gained interest

This, I feel the same way. OP, it doesn't hurt to be introverted at all. It's who you are and don't think that because you aren't extroverted that you don't have the ability to talk to patients. It all comes with experience, the more you talk to people the more you learn to deal with them. I was extremely introverted in high school but I feel that I've learned so much in college. I may not be the kind of person that makes witty comments or can make jokes easily to make people laugh, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of treating others with respect and care. I'll be completely honest with you, it is hard for me to keep connections with people as I do come out as a reserved person - i can't relate to other peoples interests that are not similar to mine so it still is difficult for me to maintain a fun interaction that people can remember me for.

People will want you to fix their medical problems. You're not there to massage their ego. As long as you don't treat them like a hunk of meat for you to poke at, most people won't care. Give them the most basic common courtesy, speak to them in a friendly and genuine tone, and you'll be ok. Anyone who isn't ok with this most likely has ego issues.

I think interaction ability is important to an extent.
Even if you do not deal with patients, you should be able to know how to deal with colleagues and co-workers.
Additionally, I can't say medicine is as simply as 'guys walks in with illness' => 'here is a cure'.
What happens if a patient is discovered to have a lethal disease? You should be able to carefully say it to the patient in the best way and provide counseling by giving them options on what to do.
It is not a simple 'ummm, tests say cancer...bye'.

Good news is introvert to extrovert is definitely something that is easy to fix. But, like other things, involves practice.

Is anyone really that introverted that they wouldn't be able to talk to a patient?

I'm one of the shyest people I know, but even I find it pretty easy to talk to people when there's a purpose to it.

Last edited:
Communication and other social skills are certainly important, but they're not synonymous with extroversion. I'd say it has more to do with being respectful, communicating clearly, and making your patients trust you and feel comfortable. Being more outgoing can certainly help with, but isn't equivalent to, good social skills for a physician. You could try to be more outgoing, but you can certainly be introverted and still have excellent social skills as a physician, as long as you're not at an extreme of introversion (which it doesn't sound like you are).

Agreed. Medicine is a service industry. As a physician, you are largely selling advice and counseling. So this is a job where talking to people is simply the most important skill in your skillset. There is a huge distinction between "shy" and "introvert". A true introvert would not be able to do this job, nor would they enjoy this job. Someone who is merely shy will have to work to overcome their shyness, but ought to be able to come out of their shell and do the job. It would be lying to suggest that folks who aren't good at interpersonal communications do well in medicine, even in the non-front-line fields. Communications IS the job. You are either communicating with patients, getting them to tell you things they wouldn't even tell their family members or clergy. Or you are in a consultant role communicating with other clinicians. Often you have the role of sitting folks down and breaking bad news. None of this is amenable to being aloof, cold, or a wallflower.

So the summary answer is that most people who are shy can do this job if they can overcome their shyness. But it's a lie to suggest that there's a role for folks who maintain their shyness or introversion. That doesn't fly in service industries such as medicine.

...but you can certainly be introverted and still have excellent social skills as a physician, as long as you're not at an extreme of introversion (which it doesn't sound like you are).

I think some folks on here are working under a different definition of introvert than what is generally accepted. They are buying into the Meyers-Briggs allocation which isn't defintiional. Introversion by definition is an extreme -- if you are an introvert, you are "at an extreme of introversion". You can't be a little bit pregnant.

About.com has a nice discussion of the huge difference between introversion and mere shyness. Unlike shyness:
"Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people." More simply, introverts are folks who shrink away from social contact, and prefer to get lost in their own thoughts. This is not a good skillset for a doctor, period.

k see ya

Introverts don't make bad docs...people who don't give a sh** about others make BAD docs.

Friend, have you heard the Good Word of Pathology? It is a source of salvation for wayward introverts such as yourself.
You still have the two clinical years of med school and intern year. You'll need to interact with a lot of people during those times. If you're socially withdrawn, you're not going to get the good grades on your rotations and, from what I understand, M3/M4 grades are fairly important for residency applications. I'd imagine it would be kind of hard to do well in the application cycle if your clinical grades are subpar and your attending evals mention poor social skills.

Edit: Just saw L2D's post on defining introversion and that's what I had in mind when I posted. Not shyness.

Aww...but I like to get lost in my thoughts on occasion :(

Introverts are annoying. And I mean introverts; I don't mean shy people. You need to be able to interact with patients on a day-to-day basis and if you're introverted, I highly doubt you'd make a good doctor. Doctors that I've volunteered for have told me that they know some colleagues who improved their social skills by taking courses.

I think some folks on here are working under a different definition of introvert than what is generally accepted. They are buying into the Meyers-Briggs allocation which isn't defintiional. Introversion by definition is an extreme -- if you are an introvert, you are "at an extreme of introversion". You can't be a little bit pregnant.

About.com has a nice discussion of the huge difference between introversion and mere shyness. Unlike shyness:
"Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people." More simply, introverts are folks who shrink away from social contact, and prefer to get lost in their own thoughts. This is not a good skillset for a doctor, period.

Sure, if you would like to use the term that way, then I agree with your argument, although shyness is more related to social anxiety than what I was referring to.

Everything in moderation, people. Too introverted and you can't talk to patients and co-workers. Too extroverted and you're doing your ventriloquist act during rectal exams. Neither extreme is conductive to good patient care.

I think a physician needs to be a good listener. Our patient interactions are 1:1 interactions so you don't necessarily have to be the most social person. I know several introverted physicians, who make good doctors because of their ability to listen - it gives you the power to be a good diagnostic, as well as the power to empathize.

While its nice to have a doctor who is talkative, and social, having an introvert isn't a bad thing either. Infact, it can sometimes mean that the person is more focused.

Although I will say this - most of the introverts I know are either radiologists or (surprisingly) surgeons.

Just my two cents!

House is an introvert…..but he's a beast doctor, so you have that going for you.

Though I can be a social person and talk about random stuff, I prefer to do it only when im bored or need to get out of my cave of books. I will admit that I like to meet and talk to people, I think its important in any profession to be good with people, especially medicine. You don't have to be a chatterbox 24/7, just interact with people enough to make them feel comfortable (your patients), and make you feel like you have a social life (everyone else). Both are very important things.

i like how introverts are automatically labeled as bad team players, awkward, etc. introverts can have more confidence, be better team players, better communicators, etc. this thread really stretches the definition, which i expect from attention seeking internet posters and our cultures favoritism towards extroverts.

i like how introverts are automatically labeled as bad team players, awkward, etc. introverts can have more confidence, be better team players, better communicators, etc. this thread really stretches the definition, which i expect from attention seeking internet posters and our cultures favoritism towards extroverts.

No one ever said that introverts were awkward people. I think a physician needs to find the balance between being the social talkative butterfly, and the recluse who never says a word to anyone. It's important to be able talk to people to some extent, especially patients. So don't worry, no one is hating on you.