• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Feb 25, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any helpful techniques for getting a patient's upper eye lid fully inverted? I recently, had the "my contact lens is stuck in my eye" patient and was having great difficulty getting the upper lid fully inverted. Luckily, the patient helped me out. But aside from just picking it up and folding backward (which seemed for me to be harder to accomplish then it sounds) is there any better technique anyone might have been taught? Perhaps, I'm just being to squeamish about it. Anyways, thank you in advance for your time.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
I ask the patient to close his eyes and look down, then place the stick of a cotton swab length-wise across the upper border of the eyelid and apply gentle downward pressure as I evert by lifting the lashes and skin of the upper lid.

Not sure if that description helps, but it works for me.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
That is unless the patient already learned how to do it to themselves in elementary school, in which case I'll have them do it.

About the Ads

Pinner Doc

drop knees, not bombs
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I ask the patient to close his eyes and look down, then place the stick of a cotton swab length-wise across the upper border of the eyelid and apply gentle downward pressure as I evert by lifting the lashes and skin of the upper lid.

Not sure if that description helps, but it works for me.
Yeah, I think the looking down part is clutch.

I once had a VA patient who had literally no lashes. That was a bit difficult!

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Michelle Lin posted on her blog about this once. I can't remember what source she linked to or exactly what she said, but the gist was this:

Dab a bit of benzion on the end of a cotton-tipped swab and apply to the upper lid when the patient has the eye closed and is looking down. Then spin the lid around the swab and enjoy the view.

I admittedly have not had the chance to try this yet, but it seems like it would work well.

HH

keeping-it-real

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Status
Michelle Lin posted on her blog about this once. I can't remember what source she linked to or exactly what she said, but the gist was this:

Dab a bit of benzion on the end of a cotton-tipped swab and apply to the upper lid when the patient has the eye closed and is looking down. Then spin the lid around the swab and enjoy the view.

I admittedly have not had the chance to try this yet, but it seems like it would work well.

HH
might as well just use some dermabond and really get a good view :idea:

Feb 25, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you Wilco World. I think that technique is a great suggestion and I'm going to give that a shot. As for the Benzoin technique - I have to say I don't quite get that one, but I Really appreciate all the replies.

About the Ads