Investing in healthcare?

Started by Shredder
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does one make investments in the healthcare industry, at any level? I hear about biotech and big pharma or device makers, but never really about healthcare investing per se. I am thinking of ways to profit in the healthcare industry beyond simply working in it, which doesn't yield enough. I want to put my money to work for me, and as a healthcare insider (or future one anyway) I presume I might be poised to invest most shrewdly in this sector.
 
Well usually there are healthcare sector stocks in a mutual fund you could pick out. But as you already know, the big thing is to diversify as the fluctuations of industry take a hit as a whole if one has a bad day.
 
what ms said.

This isn't investing advice, just something to think about....with the 'universal healthcare' stuff being talked about in gov't, and for the '08 race...i'd be VERY hesitant to put money anywhere near a traditional US healthcare company.

Biotech and related are a completely didn't game. Very volatile though, at least for the speculatory ones, not things like J&J.

-t
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I'm not feeling the small cap biotechs and pharmas, they can't match the vast reserves of the Pfizers and Genentechs. But how do ppl invest directly in hospitals? Like for private hospitals who are profits divvied up amongst? Who are the stakeholders in hospitals and healthcare networks or HMOs?

Universal healthcare talks have come up a lot in the past though, they get shot down every time. No matter what happens, doesn't someone stand to profit in some position? I want to spot the profits in any given occurrence and capitalize on them. Easier said than done of course but you see my point in theory I hope. Maybe putting money not near a traditional US healthcare company then but rather a nontrad one
 
Shredder,
If you are looking to invest in health care(which is a very big 17% of GDP universe) you have to define the subsection. If you are interested in investing in for-profit hospitals the most immediate way would be to invest in companies like Tenet Healthcare(stock ticker THC) or its competitors which trade openly on the exchanges. Other plays would include the health insurance subsector like United Health (UNH), Aetna(AET,i think), or Wellpoint(WLP). But as the previous poster stated the universal health care ball rolling around in Washington makes it a gamble to invest in these waters. Although I doubt the hospitals will take much heat, the insurance companies raking in profits most definitely will. The question is whether the heat is just words on TV to get Senator XYZ elected or whether actual reforms with pricing and profit caps or some ill conceived notion of single payer.

As you mentioned already other possible ideas are Big Pharma(Merck/Pfizer/GSK), Small->Large Biotechs (Amgen/Genentech/Celgene/Gilead etc etc), or generic pharma (ie Teva etc). If the system actually undergoes a shakedown in 2008 where society and more importantly congress finally wakes up to the fact biologics costing 50K per year per patient arent worth the 3 extra months of life that they provide, then I think generic pharmaceuticals will probably be the only one to benefit from the changing landscape. Of course this is all an assumption. Realistically, I want to see some change "on the ground" before believing that our society will actually attempt to reign in and/or reduce our entitlement costs and largesse.
 
first of all, any economist will tell you that removing incentives (i.e. money) impedes innovation. as for investing in healthcare, if you want to invest directly in hospitals, you might want to look at a commercial REIT that manages healthcare properties - after all, even if we do move to socialized medicine (very unlikely), hospitals will still have to pay rent.
 
international healthcare index ETF, ticker IXJ. There are a bunch more, but this one is the first that came to mind. Do a search for healthcare etf's, it will give you a broaded scope than little biotechs/pharma, etc.
 
cool, thx wallstdoc + btw what's your background? I haven't seen you much around the forums. And thanks others too--I may be making some pay soon and then I'll be looking into all of this investing in earnest