Why are you in the stock market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldsummer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious of the motivation to do stock trading/investing of the members here, since most here are presumably all high income earners and have a higher than average IQ.

Is it because:

- you're trying to ensure security in the event of problems
- you're trying to retire early and get out of the rat race that comes with your job
- you're addicted
- you're bored
- you have the extra expendable income and its fun/hobby
- you're trying to be as rich as possible to afford certain items or a standard of living
- everyone else around you and your family is doing so
- you know you want to invest but dont want to do real estate or other alternatives
- maybe you dont know

Maybe its a combination of a few of the above... Maybe something else that wasnt mentioned...

What is your motivation?

Members don't see this ad.

The only stock market I do is low expense cost S&P index funds and it’s for the purpose of retiring. Any single individual stock is no more than “educated” gambling. The rest of my investment portfolio is real estate and physical silver.

Members don't see this ad :)
----ANYBODY in a IRA or a 401K or a 403b is doing stock trading/investing whither they know it or not.
----As a healthcare professional you had better have some kind of a plan in this area or your later years may be financially problematic.

Investing allows me to use cash that I have available but don't need in order to earn more cash that I can use later. It's pretty simple.

I don't view myself as a trader. I buy positions in funds and real estate with very low turnover and avoid actively managed stock funds. I very seldom sell anything. That's the strategy most likely to provide solid returns with relatively low volatility so I can sleep easily each night. I look at my holdings once a month and update my net worth, but other than that it's just left alone. When I have enough saved to buy another real estate placement or fund position, I buy one that comports with my goals. It's a strategy that has been working for me through the years.

I've known a lot of colleagues over the years that have told me about all these stock picks they've made that have worked out great for them. Oddly, none of them ever tell me about any losses they've had. Maybe they've never had any, but I doubt it. It just strikes me as a stressful way to go through life.

I have ~10% of my net worth in individual stocks (mega cap) but it's a long term play.

If you don't invest, your money is guaranteed to lose purchasing power to inflation. If your only tool to build wealth is earned wages, then it will take a much longer time to build a portfolio to cover your expenses in retirement.

There's many ways to invest, and having a plan (preferably written) is imperative to achieving your financial goals. Physicians have big shovels, but most have significant loan burdens and don't start earning a high income until their 30s. Compound that with high spending due to delayed gratification and most NEED to invest in order to retire at a reasonable age.

Your question shouldn't be why you invest, it's why wouldn't you?

My wife doesn't work, so I invest in the market to have a safe plan for her in the event something happens to me in the short term, and a meams by which I can retire early in the medium term (11 years or so). I invest in generally stable ETFs, such as VINIX and SCHD, aside from during downturns, during which I'll buy things that are obviously on sale (such as stocking up on energy stocks during COVID). I invest about 50% of my total income per month in a mix of 403b, 457b, traditional IRA to backdoor Roth, and post-tax accounts in the most boring way possible, a real Bogle type. Ultimately I plan to convert everything to dividend-yielding assets as I hit retirement to have a predictable income that grows over time and has historically outpaced inflation, after which I'll probably head overseas to spend the rest of my days in peace.

My wife doesn't work, so I invest in the market to have a safe plan for her in the event something happens to me in the short term, and a meams by which I can retire early in the medium term (11 years or so). I invest in generally stable ETFs, such as VINIX and SCHD, aside from during downturns, during which I'll buy things that are obviously on sale (such as stocking up on energy stocks during COVID). I invest about 50% of my total income per month in a mix of 403b, 457b, traditional IRA to backdoor Roth, and post-tax accounts in the most boring way possible, a real Bogle type. Ultimately I plan to convert everything to dividend-yielding assets as I hit retirement to have a predictable income that grows over time and has historically outpaced inflation, after which I'll probably head overseas to spend the rest of my days in peace.
Wow. That is remarkable.

What countries are you looking at? I am looking into Spain and Mexico

Last edited:
Wow. That is remarkable.

What countries are you looking at? I am looking into Spain and Mexico
I'm looking at Portugal, Spain, and Argentina. Though I've also considered going to New Zealand if I'm still feeling work but want a change of pace, as I've heard being a psychiatrist there is far more benign.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm admittedly extremely high risk and I would never, ever suggest a close friend or family to adopt my trading style but I really hope (and pray) that my good fortune continues. It would greatly accelerate reaching my early retirement goals. Of course, things could go exactly the opposite! I'd absolutely love to quit work and do this full time. It wouldn't even be a job for me.

Current 1mo performance = 17%, 3mo performance = 42%

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'm admittedly extremely high risk and I would never, ever suggest a close friend or family to adopt my trading style but I really hope (and pray) that my good fortune continues. It would greatly accelerate reaching my early retirement goals. Of course, things could go exactly the opposite! I'd absolutely love to quit work and do this full time. It wouldn't even be a job for me.

Current 1mo performance = 17%, 3mo performance = 42%
Congrats G love it!

Reactions: 1 user
I am curious of the motivation to do stock trading/investing of the members here, since most here are presumably all high income earners and have a higher than average IQ.

Is it because:

- you're trying to ensure security in the event of problems
- you're trying to retire early and get out of the rat race that comes with your job
- you're addicted
- you're bored
- you have the extra expendable income and its fun/hobby
- you're trying to be as rich as possible to afford certain items or a standard of living
- everyone else around you and your family is doing so
- you know you want to invest but dont want to do real estate or other alternatives
- maybe you dont know

Maybe its a combination of a few of the above... Maybe something else that wasnt mentioned...

What is your motivation?
Higher than average IQ does not equate to better investments. There's a reason why scammers target docs, we are kind-hearted, gullible, and gentle folk.

Retire early and travel is my biggest motivation.