Investing in pharma companies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedstar09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but I will give it a go. Do you guys usually invest in pharma companies? Not big pharma, but a few companies that are up and coming are coming out with decent drugs and I am just curious if anyone else in the healthcare field invests purely for the investment purpose and not for promotion purpose?

Members don't see this ad.

I would see it as almost like a charitable donation to research a drug of your choice but definitely not a real investment. Your basically a horse trainer that is picking horses at the track. Sure, you may be good at picking them but it's still gambling.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure. If you follow drugs in your area well enough, you can get a sense of what the FDA will do. This gives you a leg up.

I wouldn’t bet the house, but I’ve used side money on this. So far, it’s quite profitable.

Reactions: 1 user
You could make a lot of money but could also lose a lot. It's a conflict of interest that needs managing if you do research/consulting/speaking engagements.