Invitation after rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a couple weeks ago a program sent me a rejection, I added it to the pile and didn't look back since it wasn't a program that was extremely high on my list.

Yet yesterday that same program contacted me inviting me to interview. Is this a normal thing to happen? Also does this likely mean even if I impress at the interview I won't be very high on their ROL?

Wondering whether or not to go on the interview.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So a couple weeks ago a program sent me a rejection, I added it to the pile and didn't look back since it wasn't a program that was extremely high on my list.

Yet yesterday that same program contacted me inviting me to interview. Is this a normal thing to happen? Also does this likely mean even if I impress at the interview I won't be very high on their ROL?

Wondering whether or not to go on the interview.
Thanks!

My guess is they got a higher-than-expected wave of cancelled interviews and are now trying to fill those spots. Despite this, if you were rejected earlier, it likely means you will not be high on their ROL--and considering the program knows the applicant well by this point, there usually is not something you can 'uncover' that would move you from the bottom to the top (although the other way around is certainly possible). If you are professional, build good rapport with the interviewer, and seem like a solid candidate you may move to the top of the "usually we do not go this far down our rank list but here are some candidates we ranked to be safe" group. This of course varies by program. And we are also working with incomplete information--what if the rejection was an administrative error and now they're rectifying it? If more people cancelled than usual, will the program be dropping down farther in their list than usual?

In summary, it's up to you. Here's what I would do: if it were one of my top choices I would go. If it were below fifth on my list I would consider it wasted money. If I had eight interviews or less I would go (depending on the field you're applying into).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice.

That's pretty much the line of thinking I've been employing. I could use the extra interviews so I'd prefer to go on it, but I think I'm going to call the coordinator and ask her about the situation and how much of a factor it will play in the end. I don't expect to get a straight answer, but I think seeing how she responds will shed a bit of light. 

Thanks for the advice.

That's pretty much the line of thinking I've been employing. I could use the extra interviews so I'd prefer to go on it, but I think I'm going to call the coordinator and ask her about the situation and how much of a factor it will play in the end. I don't expect to get a straight answer, but I think seeing how she responds will shed a bit of light. 

I think it all depends on your situation. If you need more interviews, then by all means go.

Go. If they take a shine to you, you can end up somewhere on their rank list. Maybe even not at the bottom. Some programs end up moving all the way through their lists and forced to SOAP. In that case, you would have gotten a spot. I've known similar things to happen.

Date ended up clashing with a day that I've got 2 prelim interviews so I had to decline. Hopefully that doesn't hurt me later on.