Invited to present/speak to Fellows: able to put in CV or AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Word of my skill with Excel has propagated throughout the academic hospital in which I work :cool: An administrator has asked me if I can make a presentation on creating clinical study spreadsheets and teach formulas, etc. that will be advertised to all fellows within the Department of Medicine (i guess cardio, ID, etc....)

I've seen that Professors, Doctors, and other established professionals frequently have a section on their CV for "invited talks". If I'm making a powerpoint and presenting on my specialty in clinical research to ~20 physicians, having been asked by the department of medicine at State Med, can I put this down in my CV, and is there a spot for it on AMCAS? I'm not doing this to 'play grownup', rather, as a bottom-of-the-barrel applicant I am looking to do anything to distinguish myself (but don't want an ADCOM member to see something on my CV that makes them facepalm, if that may be the case).

Does anyone have recommendations on this?

Members don't see this ad.

at best you can include this in the description of your job at the hospital on both your CV and AMCAS. It definitely shouldn't get its own section on your CV or its own line in AMCAS. This is by no means an "invited talk" ....you're giving a "how to" about using excel to a few doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah sorry, this isn't an invited talk... I'd just mention it when describing your volunteering EC or whatever this was related to.

OK I know I'm reaching here, but I have a bit of further information. Does this not change anything:

Dear theWUbear:

blah blah blah blah. Your lecture will be presented as part of the Fellows Didactic Lecture Series. Thank you for your assistance,

Department of medicine administration

Sounds pretty official right? What do you think...

I would not list it, as the talk is not the result of a research experience.

I have a slightly different take on this, although I'm still leaning towards advising you not to list it. Anything you list on AMCAS is fair game in an interview, so you should have an idea of its significance to you before you list it. Is this going to be a one time thing that you just do and then move on? If so, how is it going to be a significant experience to you? Could it give you any legitimacy in an interview?

It would be nice if you could list it, but I think that if it comes up in an interview, you're going to come across with the message of, "I taught some people to use Excel," not, "I was recognized for my skill in the organization of information."

Keep thinking about it though. If you can think up a good way to spin it, you could potentially use it still.

I don't know man, I don't think I would list it, seems borderline toolish to mention considering the only thing it has to do with medicine is that you're teaching technologically inept physicians to use excel.

My reason for wanting to mention this is that it shows that the amount of clinical research I have performed has given me a high level of skill in a clinical-research-related task (the creation of study spreadsheets, organization and analysis of data). I think it would show I have job skills that could be used upon joining a research team on day 1. To reiterate the first post, I'm *not* trying to put this in the 'publication' section in AMCAS or in my CV, this certainly isn't a publication. But many established individuals have a place in the CV for talks/lectures they have given. I feel this could give me something unique, but i don't want to come off sophomoric, like i'm trying to pass something insignificant off to pad my CV

I would still say you should only list it as part of the description of your research experience.

As an FYI i'm going to PM you a copy/paste from my AMCAS for talks that I gave. I hope you'll be able to see why one "how to" about excel isn't really worthy of its own slot. I was actually on the fence about including them when i was applying but since there were 3 of them for 2 different topics that were science/medicine related I decided to include them.

My reason for wanting to mention this is that it shows that the amount of clinical research I have performed has given me a high level of skill in a clinical-research-related task (the creation of study spreadsheets, organization and analysis of data). I think it would show I have job skills that could be used upon joining a research team on day 1. To reiterate the first post, I'm *not* trying to put this in the 'publication' section in AMCAS or in my CV, this certainly isn't a publication. But many established individuals have a place in the CV for talks/lectures they have given. I feel this could give me something unique, but i don't want to come off sophomoric, like i'm trying to pass something insignificant off to pad my CV

Sorry, I'm just not buying it. Learning how to use excel makes you a reliable and important part of the research team, but how is it relevant to medicine? I don't see how knowing how to organize and tabulate research data is an essential task for a physician.

I understand the sensitivity and I apologize for sounding brash. I concur with the view that it should be mentioned in your AMCAS activities, but not by itself.

I am still having difficulty understanding how the talk is the result of research experience. Your skill with Excel may be the result of research experience, but the talk you are giving will not be about research that you completed- will it? The talk will be important to list because it will be a good experience, public speaking, leadership experience, etc. But not as an invited talk where you describe your clinical research to other researchers- unless that's what it is.

I understand the sensitivity and I apologize for sounding brash. I concur with the view that it should be mentioned in your AMCAS activities, but not by itself.

I am still having difficulty understanding how the talk is the result of research experience. Your skill with Excel may be the result of research experience, but the talk you are giving will not be about research that you completed- will it? The talk will be important to list because it will be a good experience, public speaking, leadership experience, etc. But not as an invited talk where you describe your clinical research to other researchers- unless that's what it is.

No need to apologize, I appreciate your opinion :) . Thank you also skinMD for the posts and for the PM

I agree in saying that I wouldn't put it on there by itself.