Involuntary commitment procedure in NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coriolanus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, is anyone aware of what the procedures are in New Jersey for involuntary commitment of an outpatient at imminent risk of harm to self/others? I am moving from NY, and I am interested in what the equivalent of a New York "9.55" would be in NJ. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since I am not aware what is a 9.55 it’s difficult for me to answer your question but in NJ, we can’t hold and have to reach a decision to commit a patient within 72 hours. Then the process of commitment involves filling and signing the physician certificate (which I heard is the only thing needed in NY) but you also need screeners to approve the involuntary admission (screeners are MH professionals, usually social workers appointed by the state of NJ who independently evaluate the patient) if both agree to admission then patient can be admitted and both documents (your physician certificate and the screening document) get sent to court.