Involvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of the organizations here are having trouble 1) recruiting members and 2) finding people that want to be officers.

Is this a problem that any of the other schools have?
Do your schools have any leadership programs and do they benefit?
Is this a trend with the differences in the personalities of a class?

Members don't see this ad.

at my school, it is required that we join either kappa psi or the professional student organization. if we don't, we get in trouble. as for officers, I don't spend much time at the meetings (unless of course there is pizza), but we don't seem to have any shortages of students competing for the positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
futoi said:
at my school, it is required that we join either kappa psi or the professional student organization. if we don't, we get in trouble. as for officers, I don't spend much time at the meetings (unless of course there is pizza), but we don't seem to have any shortages of students competing for the positions.

Wow where do you go to school??
How do they enforce that?

Does this foster an attitude of just paying dues?

Thanks for the responses guys! It really helps out.

Ours seems to shift based on what the personality of each class is. My class is very anal and there are very few who are involved. The current 4th years are much more laid back and all of them are involved. The 2nd years seem to be fairly anal but probably a better mix. its still to early to tell on our 1st years as most people when they get here immediately don't want to do anything but study.

FutureRxGal said:
Love the disclaimer, bb. ;)

Thanks by this point i figured it was necessary...

Ahh forgot something in it.....
I can't spell to save my life...

bbmuffin said:
All of the organizations here are having trouble 1) recruiting members and 2) finding people that want to be officers.

Is this a problem that any of the other schools have?
Do your schools have any leadership programs and do they benefit?
Is this a trend with the differences in the personalities of a class?

We had no problem with elections, I was elected to a APhA-ASP rep position, and we have so many friggin organizations its almost nauseating! haha

I think I belong to at least 5 but I know some others belong to 7 or so. We don't have a requirement but everyone seems to be pretty active both in school and with the community.

But again, no problem with elections.

Our school actually pays for half of the fees for the three major organizations. The catch is that we have to be active in at least one in order for them to chip in. It seems like there are a lot of ways to get involved. It is almost overwellming, particullarly when one looks at all the studying that needs to get done...not even mentioning work. However, I can't think of a better way to figure out what to do with one's PharmD then getting involved.

bbmuffin said:
Wow where do you go to school??
How do they enforce that?

Does this foster an attitude of just paying dues?QUOTE]

I go to school at washington state.

For those people in kappa psi, they tend to be more involved. they go to most of the meetings, especially the ones that end up at the local pub. most of the people in the professional student organization, like me, go to the meetings and tend to be pretty active in them.

I'm no exactly sure how they actually know who is actually paying their dues for the respective organizations. but, they know, and they send you a letter or e-mail if you haven't joined one of the groups.

We have an umbrella organization called UPPOW that encompasses APhA, NCPA, ASHP, and WSPA (Washington State Pharmacists' Association). Students pay $85 each for yearly membership in all 4 organizations. The Dean's fund pays like $55 per person too. We have one big meeting each month for all of the organizations.