Iowa and Penn State Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TypicalTuesday

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on these programs? I did a search but not many details available. My advisor said good things about them, so I'm looking in to applying but wanted to get the real lowdown on SDN.

How is the training, number of specimens, time grossing, schedule, attendings, location? etc. etc.

Any info relevent to 4th year student would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any info on these programs? I did a search but not many details available. My advisor said good things about them, so I'm looking in to applying but wanted to get the real lowdown on SDN.

How is the training, number of specimens, time grossing, schedule, attendings, location? etc. etc.

Any info relevent to 4th year student would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have numbers for either program.

Iowa is a fairly strong program (the stronger of the two), but Penn State is good too. The people there are very friendly, and if you don't mind the lack of an immediate city Hershey, PA is pretty relaxing (plus Philly and Baltimore are not far off).

Both good programs.

Iowa is a fairly strong program (the stronger of the two), but Penn State is good too. The people there are very friendly, and if you don't mind the lack of an immediate city Hershey, PA is pretty relaxing (plus Philly and Baltimore are not far off).

Both good programs.

Thanks for the info.

I was concerned that neither program is in a heavily populated area and therefore I assume that they would have a lower number of specimens compared to many of the larger institutions.
Is this not the case, and does it really matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info.

I was concerned that neither program is in a heavily populated area and therefore I assume that they would have a lower number of specimens compared to many of the larger institutions.
Is this not the case, and does it really matter?

Well I would say that neither would be able to compete with the institutions that do ~100k+ surgicals per year, but they are both attached to medical schools, and so act as tertiary referral centers, with a large population draw areas...

But you can still learn to be a good pathologist at those places..

I did some of my training at Iowa and I can assure you that you won't be wanting for volume there - I don't know the numbers, but there is plenty to do and see. A good variety and excellent surgeons. The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is one of the best academic medical centers in the country http://www.uihealthcare.com/news/news/2008/07/14usnews.html