This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cornfedmed

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overview: Illinois native with a very strong interest in endocrinology, looking to match into Chicago-based IM residency (have loved living there for 4 years), experience with diabetes research and can see myself becoming an endo with basic/translational research on the side

I can see myself having a great 4 years at either program, both in terms of personal enjoyment and career/academic development. I am primarily wondering if one would give me a more comprehensive med education and access to stronger diabetes research opportunities. (Please let me know if I missed anything significant in my pros/cons, or if I included something that’s untrue.)

Iowa Carver
Pros:
  • Shorter drive from home (1.5 hours shorter)
  • More name recognition, funding, and general infrastructure
  • UIHC is one of the top hospitals in the Midwest
  • $57K base OOS tuition and tends to give more aid
  • Fun and up-to-date communal spaces
  • Dedicated diabetes research center (FOEDRC) directly on campus
  • Systems-based pre-clinical curriculum which seems more digestible at least personally
  • Higher full-time faculty to student ratio (2.3 to 1)
Cons:
  • Bad parking which was outlined by students and faculty many times (could walk if living nearby but Iowa winters are long and particularly cold), though they are developing new parking
  • College town with fun atmosphere but likely not as enjoyable as St. Louis
  • Generally less to do outside of medical school

SLU SOM
Pros:
  • Exciting urban feel with great access to food and entertainment
  • Diverse patient population
  • Surprisingly good parking
  • Very accessible by Amtrak, which helps if I want to study on the train while traveling home
  • Pretty comparable rent for apartments of similar quality despite being in a major city
  • Brand new hospital (SSM Health SLUH) as of 2020 and a new children’s hospital coming in a couple years (will be ready by rotations is what I was told)
  • Right next to WashU which is a diabetes research powerhouse, and I have been told SLU students do find research opportunities there
Cons:
  • $65K base tuition with lower likelihood for financial aid (I submitted an application so I’ll see what they have to say)
  • Hospital is likely not up to the caliber of UIHC
  • Less name recognition
  • Learning center and nearby buildings feel dated by comparison to Iowa
  • Research at WashU may complicate fulfillment of summer research fellowship/other research requirements as well as research funding (I can confirm with SLU’s research coordinator)
  • Lower full-time faculty to student ratio (0.9 to 1)

Both
  • 1.5 years of P/F pre-clinical with dedicated study blocks for Step1 (I believe Iowa is P/F with an honors grading system); clinical also P/F
  • Exams every 1 to 2 weeks (slightly more frequent at SLU than Iowa)
  • Ability to personalize curriculum in 4th year
  • Solid Chicago IM match rate
  • Research distinction tracks
  • Comparable class size (150 at Iowa, 180 at SLU)