Iowa (carver) vs UICOM (chicago)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iTrue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am having a bit of trouble deciding between these two schools and would appreciate any insight!

A bit of background: I am from Illinois so the COA for both schools would be fairly similar, so it isn't really that much of a factor here. I am interested in sports medicine/surgery but also not 100% sure.

Iowa
Pros:
- Higher ranking (not sure how much this matters)
- Known for a strong orthopedics residency (could be great for networking)
- Smaller class size
- Great hospital system that is directly on campus
- Possibly more research opportunities
- 1.5 year preclinical (a slightly better fit with my learning style)

Cons:
- Iowa city (My undergrad was in a similar campus town environment, didn't mind it but wouldn't mind something in the city either)
- 3+ hours from home
- H/HP/P/F grading for preclinicals
- Somewhat strange Step 1 timing (taken during mid of M3 year)
- I would probably need a car

UICOM
Pros:
- Living in chicago (decent amount of friends around and more to do + diversity)
- 1 hour from my home
- Better chance to match in Chicago? (might be true for Iowa too though)
- P/F grading

Cons:
- Lower ranking
- Large class size (200+)
- Lottery system for clinicals
- Block system curriculum (not sure how I feel about this)

Overall, I have heard that both schools have great programs that will prepare me well, which is why this decision is so difficult for me. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For me that very large class size at Illinois, and also the fact that it is one of many schools in the area, which means you have a lot of competition for patient population, makes it less attractive than Iowa. Iowa is the only MD medical school in the state, and serves a very large region/catchment area. It is also the only burn center, and the only level one adult and pediatric trauma center in the area. And home residency programs in many fields are very strong. All of this contributes to the residency program Director ranking being 26 for Iowa versus 56 for Illinois. Both will be excellent programs, but if you are looking at a competitive residency, you may be better off at Iowa.

Reactions: 1 users