University of Iowa (Carver) vs Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncetherewasaghost

Reaction score
decided

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you like Iowa more, which is a great option. For what it's worth, Indiana has a significantly higher ranking rads residency program (#28 vs. #69), which may indicate that you'll have an easier time matching from Indiana. With that said, rads is not derm or neurosurgery and you will be able to match just fine from either location.

Reactions: 1 user
Student at Iowa (M1) that can try to address some concerns:

Grading: the 40% cutoff is blatantly wrong; usually, 40% of the class will honors or high pass but because you just need to achieve a certain percentage (90-94%) everyone can technically honor. At the end of the day, preclinical grades don't really matter here. Plenty of my upperclassmen have matched/have had 10+ interviews and never honored or NH a single preclinical. Definitely wouldn't call it a competitive environment in the slightest; everyone is super supportive of each other and we frequently share study materials (anki decks etc.) for exams.

Haven't taken STEP so I can't comment on it other than some M3's have mentioned that it's not that big of a deal, as studying for STEP 1 helps with STEP 2 prep. Take that with a grain of salt though.

CBL: I think its fun. Most people in my class spend less than an hour on it a week on average. People mostly complain about it before tests as everyone tries to maximize their studying time, but it honestly is not much of a burden.

Weather: cold

• Love
Reactions: 1 users