Iowa interview and MN secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gi, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Gi

Gi Member

I've seen people start to get acceptances to Iowa (congrats, by the way!). I saw somewhere that they usually stop interviewing about January. I haven't heard from them since my file was completed. Just wondering if anyone knows when/how long they are interviewing out of state applicants? How long did it take them to look over your file and give you an interivew?

Also, has any out of state applicants heard from Minnesota-Minneapolis? Thanks for any info...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. poindexter

poindexter Senior Member

I just interviewed at Iowa on Friday. My group of ~15 students was made up of 13 out-of-state residents and 2 residents. We were told they stop interviewing January 15. My assumption would be they interview both in- and out-of-staters until January 15.

In regard to how long it took for them to review my file, I believe it was almost a month after I submitted the secondary. But I got an interview before my last letter of recommendation was in.

I'm in-state at MN so my info there wouldn't be of much help.

4. Gi

Gi Member

Thanks for the info:
    I just decided to call MN, my app was just reviewed and I will get a secondary; it's being mailed out today. Can anyone tell me what the secondary consists of? I want to get a fast turnaround on that, even though they take very few OOS applicants. Please tell me it's not another $100!!

:(

5. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student
    I just received an interview invitation from Iowa, and I believe I submitted my secondary a month ago as well, although my letters arrived a bit later. I'll be there Dec. 19, anyone else??

I also applied to MN as an out-of-stater, and haven't heard a word from them.

6. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

gi,

I just looked around, and though I can find my U of MN essays, I can't find the actual questions! Paraphrasing then, the essay questions are:

What are you doing/plan to be doing before matriculation (about 1/4 page)

describe any early experiences with family/community that got you interested in medicine(about 2/3 page)

describe TWO EC experiences from your AMCAS application that you thought were particulary important to you and why (ie, how they helped you decide to go into medicine) (about 1/2 page)

Why did you apply to the U of MN (about 1/4 page)

Application update--any new grades, honors, or anything else you'd like the committee to know (less than 1/4 page)

Hopefully this will get you started. The fee I think was 75 dollars. There are some other forms to fill out (just use a pen--they don't care) and some evaluation forms for your recommenders that they send with their letters.

Good Luck!!

7. Gi

Gi Member

Thanks a lot! It'll be good to get a jump on that vs. starting in the midst of finals!