-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Iowa State CVM - Class of 2017- Interviews
Started by armstrh
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Look under Articles & Interviews on here. You can look up schools and interview feedback
Hi I just got offered an interview from ISU. The interviews are behavioral. Does anyone have examples of questions they may ask/ interviewed with ISU before?
If you go to the top of the page , the reference material tab has interview feedback and you can selected Iowa state and look through previous years questions/ feedback
Congrats!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey can I ask, are you In state or out of state?
Congrats, thats really awesome!
Thank you! I was so excited! Good luck will all of your applications!Congrats, thats really awesome!
Actually, I am out of state (North Dakota) and I was offered an interview from ISU yesterday. I know of 3 others that were also invited yesterday for the November 10th-11th weekend interviews. But, we are all ND so...maybe they are trying to get us out of the way? Any input??
Actually, I am out of state (North Dakota) and I was offered an interview from ISU yesterday. I know of 3 others that were also invited yesterday for the November 10th-11th weekend interviews. But, we are all ND so...maybe they are trying to get us out of the way? Any input??
Does ND have contract seats with ISU?
Yup, Iowa has contract seats with ND, South Dakota, and Conn.
Then restless, this is why!
haha I figured that out looking through other posts. I wonder if SD or CT applicants are invited to this session too?? I'm a first time applicant and never been to any vet school, so I'm nervous! But I have heard a lot of good things about ISU, so hoping for the best! Does anyone know when they will accept/reject applicants? I would think not until after they have interviewed everyone??
haha I figured that out looking through other posts. I wonder if SD or CT applicants are invited to this session too?? I'm a first time applicant and never been to any vet school, so I'm nervous! But I have heard a lot of good things about ISU, so hoping for the best! Does anyone know when they will accept/reject applicants? I would think not until after they have interviewed everyone??
If it's like last year, you'll hear at the end of January/beginning of February.
I am an SD resident and I was invited to the Nov 10-11 interview. I'm curious as well about acceptance letters!!haha I figured that out looking through other posts. I wonder if SD or CT applicants are invited to this session too?? I'm a first time applicant and never been to any vet school, so I'm nervous! But I have heard a lot of good things about ISU, so hoping for the best! Does anyone know when they will accept/reject applicants? I would think not until after they have interviewed everyone??
I am an SD resident and I was invited to the Nov 10-11 interview. I'm curious as well about acceptance letters!!
Well looks like we have a while to wait before we know! Jan/Feb is a ways away, but I'm trying to focus on doing well on the interview before thinking about accepted...so hard! Anyway, maybe I'll see you this weekend! I'm Saturday at 11 🙂 good luck!
I'll probably be the girl with no shoes, since I can't seem to find a pair that go with my suit..

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
in stater
interviewed Nov 11th
GPA; 3.22 overall 3.5 last 45
GRE; 152 verbal, 145 Q, 3.5 Written
so as you can see nothing to write home about. I am a professional tho, i have been out of school for four year
Good Luck to all! i have never interviewed anywhere but ISU, but they are so great to work with!
interviewed Nov 11th
GPA; 3.22 overall 3.5 last 45
GRE; 152 verbal, 145 Q, 3.5 Written
so as you can see nothing to write home about. I am a professional tho, i have been out of school for four year
Good Luck to all! i have never interviewed anywhere but ISU, but they are so great to work with!
Have any non-contract out of staters gotten either an invite to an interview or a decline from ISU??? Any Minnesota residents here?
Good luck to everybody!
Good luck to everybody!
Have any non-contract out of staters gotten either an invite to an interview or a decline from ISU??? Any Minnesota residents here?
Good luck to everybody!
I am an out of stater/no contract and had my interview last weekend. They still have two more weekends of interviews and are sending out invites a few weeks before so hope is not lost yet!
there is still two more rounds of interviews that you would roughly hear about chirstmas/new year time. (roughly 100ish interviews per weekend) so don't get to discouraged yet.
Also after the interview offers are all out (accpeted/rejected) they will snail mail you a rejection is it isn't much before the interview candidtes rejections/waitlist/accpetance!
their last interview is Jan 26-27th a whole 3 weeks before their feb 15th notification date.
In other words, keep faith! there is still 150+ interviews to go out!!
Also after the interview offers are all out (accpeted/rejected) they will snail mail you a rejection is it isn't much before the interview candidtes rejections/waitlist/accpetance!
their last interview is Jan 26-27th a whole 3 weeks before their feb 15th notification date.
In other words, keep faith! there is still 150+ interviews to go out!!
Hi, everyone -- just wanted to post an update. I interviewed last weekend. The questions in the "interview feedback" section on this site were very representative of what they asked. The interviewers tried to make it friendly and low-key.
The panel with current students was fairly informative. They danced around the question of terminal surgeries (they still do them, and aren't planning to stop, though it sounds like some of them are being replaced with spay/neuter surgeries).
The new small animal hospital looks great, though they couldn't take us into any areas where patients were staying, which I thought was odd.
Anyone else have any impressions? As a Washington state resident and something of a city girl, this was my first trip to rural Midwest. It felt kind of desolate, and I was disappointed by how isolated the vet med building is and how far away from everything it seemed.
I didn't rent a car, so I couldn't see much of the area or town. If you aren't familiar with the area, I totally recommend you rent a car!
The panel with current students was fairly informative. They danced around the question of terminal surgeries (they still do them, and aren't planning to stop, though it sounds like some of them are being replaced with spay/neuter surgeries).
The new small animal hospital looks great, though they couldn't take us into any areas where patients were staying, which I thought was odd.
Anyone else have any impressions? As a Washington state resident and something of a city girl, this was my first trip to rural Midwest. It felt kind of desolate, and I was disappointed by how isolated the vet med building is and how far away from everything it seemed.
I didn't rent a car, so I couldn't see much of the area or town. If you aren't familiar with the area, I totally recommend you rent a car!
The new small animal hospital looks great, though they couldn't take us into any areas where patients were staying, which I thought was odd.
I don't think it's really that odd. Besides matters of patient safety/health and confidentiality (which are both huge considerations), I imagine they aren't areas where there is space for 5+ people on a tour to not be in the way if techs are trying to do anything.
I am an out of stater/no contract and had my interview last weekend. They still have two more weekends of interviews and are sending out invites a few weeks before so hope is not lost yet!
Congratulations, Wildcatj!
I just got an invite too!!!!
ETA: Does anyone have recommendations on flying vs driving? I'm about 5.5 hours away, so by the time I delt with the airport stuff it would be a toss up on time. I have read people's recommendations to rent a car to see the area. I would like to do this especially because if I get in, I'd hope to bring my horses and would like to check out the area for that. But I'm kind of scared about the weather being unfriendly for driving late January....
ETA: Does anyone have recommendations on flying vs driving? I'm about 5.5 hours away, so by the time I delt with the airport stuff it would be a toss up on time. I have read people's recommendations to rent a car to see the area. I would like to do this especially because if I get in, I'd hope to bring my horses and would like to check out the area for that. But I'm kind of scared about the weather being unfriendly for driving late January....
Last edited:
Now I am sad
Out of curiosity, those that received interviews: how long before you got notice were you removed from Academic Review? I am still hanging out there and it has me concerned. That said, they have been really slow with everything involving my app, so maybe its just me, but...ugh!
Out of curiosity, those that received interviews: how long before you got notice were you removed from Academic Review? I am still hanging out there and it has me concerned.
I think it was pretty instantaneous. I checked last night at midnight, and it was still in Academic Review. At noon, I checked my email and had the message, then looked at the portal and saw the status change.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it was pretty instantaneous. I checked last night at midnight, and it was still in Academic Review. At noon, I checked my email and had the message, then looked at the portal and saw the status change.
Thank you! You have relieved some anxiety and nausea. 😍
Out of curiosity, those that received interviews: how long before you got notice were you removed from Academic Review? I am still hanging out there and it has me concerned. That said, they have been really slow with everything involving my app, so maybe its just me, but...ugh!
I had been in Committee review for about a month, so I think it might be different for people.
I had been in Committee review for about a month, so I think it might be different for people.
oh you are right, mine did say committee review, not academic review.
I just got an invite too!!!!
ETA: Does anyone have recommendations on flying vs driving? I'm about 5.5 hours away, so by the time I delt with the airport stuff it would be a toss up on time. I have read people's recommendations to rent a car to see the area. I would like to do this especially because if I get in, I'd hope to bring my horses and would like to check out the area for that. But I'm kind of scared about the weather being unfriendly for driving late January....
Hi dvndreamer and everyone else...
Congrats. Now I flew in day before and rented a car and was able to drive around area and try their local restos and downtown. I also drove to the interview site the day before to remove any other issues of the day of interview. I STRONGLY recommend renting a car, it cost me $30 +/- for two days. It will give you a good view of the school and see if its for you. The drive to and from the Des moines airport is about 40 minutes...pretty dark if your driving early am or late at night but was an easy straight route. Dont push the time, we had one interviewee whose flight was delayed and was rushing in the last interview spot when I was done with my tour. Avoid that stress if you can.
Good luck
Siomai,
From the rental place that you gota car from, do you have to be 25 or older? I'm 21 and I was interested in renting a car but in not sure if I'm old enough.
From the rental place that you gota car from, do you have to be 25 or older? I'm 21 and I was interested in renting a car but in not sure if I'm old enough.
Siomai,
From the rental place that you gota car from, do you have to be 25 or older? I'm 21 and I was interested in renting a car but in not sure if I'm old enough.
Check the rental place, I am 22 and rented a car when I went to Ohio. There was an extra fee but it was worth it for me.
I also used Enterprise FYI 🙂
Siomai,
From the rental place that you gota car from, do you have to be 25 or older? I'm 21 and I was interested in renting a car but in not sure if I'm old enough.
Yes, Im beyond 25 so I did not consider that issue. Sorry. I just saw Hertz have a promo of $25 off if you are renting and are between 20-24 years old. I rented from Dollar together with m y flight thorugh Orbitz.
I renter a car through Enterprise and it was like $67 for two days including the $30 for being under 25 (I'm 23). Not bad at all and much easier than anything else.
Don't be sad yet; there's still one more interview weekend after this one 🙂Now I am sad
I don't have exact stats for accepted vs. interviewed, but there are roughly 60 OOS seats per class.Does anyone know the stats for how many OOS students are usually accepted from interviews?? Congrats to everyone else as well!!
Don't be sad yet; there's still one more interview weekend after this one 🙂
I don't have exact stats for accepted vs. interviewed, but there are roughly 60 OOS seats per class.
Cuit, I haven't seen you in forever and I love ya for giving me a little less stress.
Check the rental place, I am 22 and rented a car when I went to Ohio. There was an extra fee but it was worth it for me.
I also used Enterprise FYI 🙂
Hey equinelvr! I noticed on the interview thread that we will be interviewing for Iowa on the same day. Just wanted to say congrats and good luck! Are you interviewing in the morning or afternoon, if you don't mind me asking??
Does anyone know the stats for how many OOS students are usually accepted from interviews?? Congrats to everyone else as well!!
Totally just guessing based on # interviews (8-5 = 8 hrs, 5 groups = 40/day or 80 per weekend) - IS interviewed (116) which leaves around 204 OSS/Contract = about 30%. i think IS is 55% ish. granted, i just heard in the oreination to my interview they were interviewing 116 IS, i missed the other stat. I thought they did about 300-400 total interviews so overall its 30%ish chance.
You're welcome 🙂 I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! (and I'll be around more now that boards are over).Cuit, I haven't seen you in forever and I love ya for giving me a little less stress.
Hey equinelvr! I noticed on the interview thread that we will be interviewing for Iowa on the same day. Just wanted to say congrats and good luck! Are you interviewing in the morning or afternoon, if you don't mind me asking??
I picked the morning 9:00am. what about you? Congrats to you as well! 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Check the rental place, I am 22 and rented a car when I went to Ohio. There was an extra fee but it was worth it for me.
I also used Enterprise FYI 🙂
Yes, Im beyond 25 so I did not consider that issue. Sorry. I just saw Hertz have a promo of $25 off if you are renting and are between 20-24 years old. I rented from Dollar together with m y flight thorugh Orbitz.
I renter a car through Enterprise and it was like $67 for two days including the $30 for being under 25 (I'm 23). Not bad at all and much easier than anything else.
Thanks, everyone! I tried renting a car in Florida last year but was unsuccessful. Maybe this varies by state/region?
By any rate, I'm excited to travel & interview!
I picked the morning 9:00am. what about you? Congrats to you as well! 😀
Oh ok, I picked the 2 PM time so I'm not sure if I'll see ya there. I was just going to see if there was anyone on here who was interviewing the same day as me that I might get to meet. 🙂
What day are you guys interviewing?
What day are you guys interviewing?
I am at 8 am on the 20th!
Does anyone have any suggestions on places to make sure to see? I'm going to come in early afternoon on the 19th to walk around the general ISU campus and get a feel for Ames. Any dinner recommedations?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 1K