predentstud

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2008
Status
Just curious on which is the better dental school and not caring about the location they are in. Just your opinion on which is known to be more prestige. I mean don't get me wrong, both great schools!! From talking with people and dentists so far I'm hearing Iowa.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Just curious on which is the better dental school and not caring about the location they are in. Just your opinion on which is known to be more prestige. I mean don't get me wrong, both great schools!! From talking with people and dentists so far I'm hearing Iowa.
Agree.

Where you from?

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Really Iowa? I thought Minnesota personally

About the Ads

blue34

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I'm from Minnesota and I've visited the U of M SOD many times and the Iowa College of Dentistry twice.

The campuses are two totally different environments.
Minnesota- Downtown Minneapolis
Iowa- Smaller "undergrad" feel of a town

Both Iowa and Minnesota have Sim clinics. (Minnesota's is newer).

The curriculum is similar, where you go on block rotations during your 3rd and 4th years. I think Iowa has every specialty, and Minnesota has almost all of them.

Both schools have a 4th year outreach program.

They both have research, yada yada. You can look at both of their websites for more specifics too.

The biggest difference though, is the actually city. Minneapolis is a big, bustling, diverse city. Iowa City is like a college town.

I am biased too, sorry! :)

old-school

UNT '07 alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2005
McKinney, TX
Status
Dental Student
Back when they used to rank schools I thought MN ranked pretty high, and they spend a lot on the med school so I can't imagine the dental school is much different. I am biased too, though, since I am from MN. I think both schools are very good though, consider yourself fortunate to have your "dilemma".
Good luck!

About the Ads