Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor0125

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, do you know when Iowa adcom meets? Also how does their admissions work again, if your not accepted by dec 1st what happens? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The committe only meets twice a month. I called on monday and they had not met for the first time this month.

Tangent, has anyone gotten an interview that was not an auto-invite? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
did they auto invite? what where the stats?

They auto-invite > 3.7 & 30 (With 10s in each). Both IS and OOS.

aww crap. :( the 9 in verbal is killin me here

Be sure to post when you hear from Iowa or if anybody calls this week. I understand they let you know via snail mail so the folks that live close should hear first--then the rest of us can anticipate whne the mail might get our way. :luck: to all

Iowa notifies by email and snail mail.

I have an interview at Iowa Monday, 11/20. I guess it was an auto invite tho (11,11,11, P; 3.9 GPA). Any suggestions or tips for the interview?

I was accepted to Iowa back in October and they only notify using snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if the auto invite is >30, 3.7 for instate. I think it's greater than 8 on each section of the MCAT and a 3.5 or above GPA. I could be wrong, however.

Iowa only informs you of an acceptance via snail mail. Also, I heard the adcom meets twice each month but I have no idea on which days.....sorry

did you apply to duke med? if so what ya think about those 6 essays....

I didn't end up doing the app. Actually, because of all the computer trouble they had, I never actually got it (They don't screen but had a bunch of computer f-ups). I emailed someone who had me call, but the guy I talked to was rather rude and insinuated that the problem was that I was getting too anxious and needed to calm down (This was 2 months after they received my primary). At that point (and given that I don't like the program or the 6 essays) I made the decision I wasn't going to do it. Never did get that secondary either...

Thought we were going to hear 'mid-November'? Sure would be nice to know what is up before Thanksgiving. Any inside scoop? Any rumors on when the ADCOM meets?

Have any OOS people who interviewed at Iowa (like September - late October) heard anything post-interview yet? I interviewed September 20th and I still haven't heard anything yet.

I am out of state, interviewed on Oct. 3rd (or somewhere in early October), and haven't heard yet.

I interviewed Oct 6 OOS and have not heard back.

Early Oct. interview for me too...and no word yet. I remember the admissions folks saying that our files might not get reviewed until mid-November...so maybe word for some of us is close!

:luck:

I interviewed on 10/13, OOS, and I haven't heard anything either.

There will also be a delay because they only send results by snail mail. Hopefully next week :luck:

I interviewed on 10/20 and still have not heard any word either.

Has Iowa not accepted anyone since mid-late October? G'luck to you guys.

I interviewd on October 11 and haven't heard anything yet. I assumed this meant I was put in the "final pool" that gets reviewd in Feb-Mar. However, since noone else has heard anything either, maybe this is not the case. I'll call them tomorrow.

I interviewd on October 11 and haven't heard anything yet. I assumed this meant I was put in the "final pool" that gets reviewd in Feb-Mar. However, since noone else has heard anything either, maybe this is not the case. I'll call them tomorrow.

They clearly indicated that they would be making another round of decisions in Mid-November. They have not issued any news since the group that was notified in mid October. Thanks for calling and let us know what you find out!

End up calling to see what's up? Has anyone heard anything from them recently?

I interviewed on October 11th and they told us at that time to expect a desicion by Thanksgiving.

I just called the office to inquire about my personal status and the very nice lady informed me that my file has not even been reviewed yet. She also said that the committee meets once a week, but she could not give me a time-frame in which my file would be reviewed.

So this pretty much means that the committee has been going much slower than expected. This gives new hope to all of us that assumed that no news was bad news!!!

Thanks for calling. It seems odd that if they meet every week that no one on SDN or in MD apps has gotten any news since the first bunch that was snail-mailed out in mid-october. You would think that someone would have gotten in from all the October interviews. Anybody with local knowledge help us out with this one? Hawkeye's please report!

Keep an eye on your mailboxes!!! I interviewed right before thanksgiving and received my acceptance today. Now, I live in Southern MN so folks from farther away--they are coming!

Keep an eye on your mailboxes!!! I interviewed right before thanksgiving and received my acceptance today. Now, I live in Southern MN so folks from farther away--they are coming!

Congratulations:thumbup: Weird that you heard before folks that interviewed several weeks earlier but it is good to know that things are moving! Are you in-state?

damn, that sucks for me...

I don't know if the lady lied to me... or if my app. got stuck at the bottom of the pile or what!

I live like 5 blocks from the office, and haven't heard a peep!

Darnit Iowa, just accept me already!

Does anybody know if Iowa sends a letter that indicates you have been held for the final decision pool in Feb/March or are you just supposed to assume that based on silence from the admissions office?

I am an OOS...and Iowa had told our interview group that if we weren't immediately accepted we would not hear anything from them until March...so I assumed I would not hear anything until March. Iowa is amazingly fast, some schools are still just sending me secondaries and Iowa has already completed the entire process. For the people that are waiting maybe they just didn't meet for a long time (they don't meet very often was the impression I'd gotten) and you'll be hearing from them soon. Good luck!:luck:

Especially OOS ... still nada for me.

Anyone know why Iowa's so slow this year?

Yeah, seriously....What is the deal? I just looked at the official acceptances thread and the last one entered is 10/25.

I think some ppl. (such as msurodeo above) just haven't had the chance to post in the acceptance link. :(

I was just hoping that they were slow, but this doesn't seem to be the case!

I'll let you know when/what I hear.

I'll let you know when/what I hear.

I just do not believe that there have not been more acceptances. If you look at last years acceptance thread there was the first wave at Iowa in mid-October followed by another wave in Mid-November. This year is quite different. I also know some folks with really good applications were interviewed in October and early November so I cannot buy that only one of those folks got in....

I honestly don't think I have a really good grasp of how their application process works, which is what bothers me most really (and the reason why I finally broke down and e-mailed them). This is my understanding of it and correct me if I'm wrong:

They told us that they have both a rolling pool and a final pool and that following your interview your file is reviewed and you're placed in one pool or the other. Basically no one gets straight out rejected post-interview before March and 2/3 are taken out of rolling and 1/3 out of final.

Well, when I e-mailed them about a month and a half ago, I got a response to a "which pool am I in" question along the lines of "Neither ... your file is still in the running to get a review from the committee." That really confused me, as I interviewed Sept. 20 (the first day) and if they haven't reviewed my file yet, why not? ... just because it was in so early.

Anyway, if anyone has more/better insight, please share it and I'll basically post the response to the inquiry I sent when I get it.

Kiehl,

I got the same impression as you when I called. They said I could still be reviewed. I don't know how their process is working.

Let us all know if you find out anything more!

From what I understand from an advisor on the ground here in Iowa, CCOM is accepting fewer students this year on the rolling basis. Why? It's hard to say.

Any theories?

Kiehl,

I got the same impression as you when I called. They said I could still be reviewed. I don't know how the hell they are working.

Let us all know if you find out anything more!

Still haven't heard back via e-mail, but when I do I'll be sure to paste the response here.