iPad Pro 10.5 or 12.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blenise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which size iPad Pro do you prefer for taking written notes in school?

I'm looking to treat myself to either the smaller or the larger option and am struggling to make a decision. The portability of the 10.5 and its natural fit in the hand is great. However, the 12.9 screen is closer to the size of a standard piece of paper and may feel more natural for writing notes with the Apple Pencil. Any thoughts?

(Additional info: I'll be using this in conjunction with an older MacBook Pro)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

It don't matter. Just pick one. You've wasted too much of your life contemplating this.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think anybody in my class takes notes on an iPad. Most people type notes on their laptops. Use what you're comfortable with.

Members don't see this ad :)
It don't matter. Just pick one. You've wasted too much of your life contemplating this.

You're right, I have wasted an embarrassing amount of time obsessing over this.

I don't think anybody in my class takes notes on an iPad. Most people type notes on their laptops. Use what you're comfortable with.

It really is as simple as that. Thanks for the input!

Why does everyone on these forums like owning overpriced glamor toys when they're in debt? Android tablets?

Reactions: 1 user
I bought 10.5 yesterday. 12.9 too damn big for taking to lectures. 10.5 is perfect.

Reactions: 1 users
Why does everyone on these forums like owning overpriced glamor toys when they're in debt? Android tablets?

Without a doubt it's an unnecessary luxury item. I personally spent a gap year working full time and putting every paycheck straight into savings. I had planned to treat myself to one splurge item just before school started.

Plus, as much as I respect Android, being trapped in the Apple ecosystem is real!

Without a doubt it's an unnecessary luxury item. I personally spent a gap year working full time and putting every paycheck straight into savings. I had planned to treat myself to one splurge item just before school started.

Plus, as much as I respect Android, being trapped in the Apple ecosystem is real!

If you want to reward yourself for your hard work, you are better off taking that money you would've spent on the iPad and putting it towards a good pair of loupes. You will find that to be a much better use of your money.

If you want to reward yourself for your hard work, you are better off taking that money you would've spent on the iPad and putting it towards a good pair of loupes. You will find that to be a much better use of your money.

I appreciate the advice. I've actually already dedicated a portion to loupes as well.

I appreciate the advice. I've actually already dedicated a portion to loupes as well.

Awesome, good forward thinking. Just make sure you don't get 2.5X. Get a good quality pair that will last you 10 years, not just for Dental School. Don't go lower than 3.5X.

Take advantage of Apple's trade-in program. Trade in your older MacBook pro and use that iPad $ for a new one that will last you 4 years.

Awesome, good forward thinking. Just make sure you don't get 2.5X. Get a good quality pair that will last you 10 years, not just for Dental School. Don't go lower than 3.5X.

Take advantage of Apple's trade-in program. Trade in your older MacBook pro and use that iPad $ for a new one that will last you 4 years.

I'll write that down, thanks.

I also don't know much about the newer Macbook models. In the very least, I'll read up on that trade-in program.

I just bought the last generation iPad Pro 9.7 with 128 gb for a lot cheaper because they all went on sale! Highly recommend and I feel it's plenty big to take notes on.

I know as an incoming D1, all you can see/anticipate right now is the didactic courses. Now that I'm in clinic every day, I realize how little the study materials really mattered. Do what helps you study, and treat yourself it you want to, but an ipad isn't going to make you a better student, so don't get caught up in decisions that aren't going to affect your school experience. This is more of a general ipad question than a dental student forum question.

Here are some things I've purchased instead of a brand new laptop/tablet for dental school that actually made me a better clinician
-Loupes + light
-Safety glasses + light
-Extra high speed handpiece from graduating D4
-Schumacher periotomes and proximator for minimally traumatic extractions, less post-op discomfort and complications.
-Gothic arch tracer, to quickly and accurately find CR and VDO for complete dentures.
-DSLR, ring flash, macro lens for clinical photography.
-Greater curve bands

Reactions: 5 users
I know as an incoming D1, all you can see/anticipate right now is the didactic courses. Now that I'm in clinic every day, I realize how little the study materials really mattered. Do what helps you study, and treat yourself it you want to, but an ipad isn't going to make you a better student, so don't get caught up in decisions that aren't going to affect your school experience. This is more of a general ipad question than a dental student forum question.

Here are some things I've purchased instead of a brand new laptop/tablet for dental school that actually made me a better clinician
-Loupes + light
-Safety glasses + light
-Schumacher periotomes and proximator for minimally traumatic extractions, less post-op discomfort and complications.
-Gothic arch tracer, to quickly and accurately find CR and VDO for complete dentures.
-Greater curve bands
This so the best advice I've seen on here in a while. Thank you.

I have 12.9 and it's great for undergrad. But I really see myself taking notes on laptop especially if the schools is heavy only on PP

-Loupes + light
-Safety glasses + light
-Greater curve bands

I played with the idea of using and iPad or a cheaper tablet to help with patient education and selling treatment. Some dental related apps out there that dozens of interactive models. Have you or your classmates experimented with this? Nothing yet at my school.

Or do you find just verbal communication to be sufficient enough?

I know dentists that use iPads. Look nice and might get the attention of patients better. I would plan on having them

I played with the idea of using and iPad or a cheaper tablet to help with patient education and selling treatment. Some dental related apps out there that dozens of interactive models. Have you or your classmates experimented with this? Nothing yet at my school.

Or do you find just verbal communication to be sufficient enough?
Verbal communication tends to get me at least ~80% of the way there with skeptical patients. Intraoral photos are also very helpful. I just recently ordered one of these patient education typodonts because a classmate of mine has had success with it. It shows examples of bridges, crowns, implants, and different dental diseases - all in one model. Amazon product

We also have a patient education program on our clinic computers that shows 3-d animated procedures, though I have not used it yet.

Verbal communication tends to get me at least ~80% of the way there with skeptical patients. Intraoral photos are also very helpful. I just recently ordered one of these patient education typodonts because a classmate of mine has had success with it. It shows examples of bridges, crowns, implants, and different dental diseases - all in one model. Amazon product

We also have a patient education program on our clinic computers that shows 3-d animated procedures, though I have not used it yet.

know the name of that particular typodont by any chance?

know the name of that particular typodont by any chance?
Tried linking it, but that didn't work. On amazon search "typodont" and the brands available are YueYueZou and MLM (I got MLM). It has a clear base and will include "teaching model" in the title.