Technology iPhone Medical Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omniatlas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be good to list out all the medical-relevant apps available for medical students and physicians. Please add an app to the list!

MIM iPhone Application
The MIM iPhone Application provides multi-planar reconstruction of data sets from modalities including CT, PET, MRI and SPECT, as well as multi-modality image fusion. Using the multi-touch interface, users can change image sets and planes; adjust zoom, fusion blending, and window/level; and measure dimensions and SUV.

iphonemimvista.jpg

Cost: FREE!
--
EPOCRATES RX
The free Epocrates Rx software for iPhone OS puts continually updated peer-reviewed drug information at your fingertips. Epocrates information has been shown to:

Improve patient care and safety
Save time
Reduce administrative burden
Enable confident clinical decisions

screen-iphone-overview.png

Cost: Free

--
Netter's Anatomy
Using outstanding anatomical illustrations from Netter's hugely popular Atlas of Human Anatomy (4th Edition), Netter's Anatomy allows you to carry the bestselling reference for human anatomy on your iPhone or iPod touch. Navigate through images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to test your knowledge of muscles, bones, vessels, viscera and the joints. Use study mode to explore images at your own pace and quiz mode to test yourself on what you know.

The concise text reviews areas of origin, insertion, action, innervation, and anatomical relevance. The notes also include clinical correlations, where appropriate. A regional organization parallels Netter's atlas as well as most of today's anatomy courses.

netter_anat.png

Cost: $39.99

--

Netter's Neuroscience
Enhance your understand of key neuroscience conceptis with Netter's Neuroscience Flash Cards for iPhone and iPod touch. Consisting of 225 individual illustrations taken directly from Netter's Atlas of Human Neuroscience, these full color images offer exquisite detail and helpful identifications of each annotated structure. Navigate through images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to test your knowlodge of muscles, bones, vessles, viscera and the joints. Use study mode to explore images at your own page and quiz mode to test yourself on what you know.

Netter's Neuroscience was designed and adapted for the Phone and iPod touch by professional medical educators to maximize pedagogical efficacy. In addition to the illustrations, added text offers explanatory comments about images to provide additional clinical insight and perspective.

netter_neuro.png

---
Netter's Musculoskeletal Flash Cards

Master the musculoskeletal anatomy and pathology you need to know. These 210 flash cards use outstanding illustrations created by, and in the style of, master medical illustrator Frank H. Netter, MD to help you test your knowledge of bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. Netter illustrations are supplemented with clinical, radiographic, and arthroscopic images depicting the most common musculoskeletal pathologies. Navigate through images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to test your knowledge of muscles, bones, vessels, viscera and the joints. Use study mode to explore images at your own pace and quiz mode to test yourself on what you know.

Netter's Musculoskeletal was designed and adapted for the iPhone and iPod touch by professional medical educators to maximize pedagogical efficacy. In addition to the illustrations, added text offers explanatory comments about images to provide additional clinical insight and perspective.

netter_musculo.png

Modality Inc. actually has a bunch of medical apps coming that if they ever let their numbers go public, will certainly spurn more developers to make useful apps for us!

Link: http://www.modalitylearning.com/medical-students.asp
--
MacPractice
header_iphone.jpg

The iPhone Interface to MacPractice makes it possible to do all these things from your iPhone:

* View patient appointments
* Search for a patient
* View patient contact information
* Tap to email a patient
* Tap to call a patient
* Review patient Rx history

http://www.macpractice.com/mp/iphone/

--
IMG_0001.jpg

iSilo App Store Link
--
Mediquations
Mediquations for the iPhone brings over 40 common medical calculations and scoring tools to your fingertips with the simplicity and elegance you expect out of an iPhone application. If you're a health professional, Mediquations is quite possibly the most important companion for your iPhone!
171311-med_220.png

--
Medical Calculator (free)
iphone_medical_calculator.jpg

http://doctorcalc.com/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MIM iPhone Application
The MIM iPhone Application provides multi-planar reconstruction of data sets from modalities including CT, PET, MRI and SPECT, as well as multi-modality image fusion. Using the multi-touch interface, users can change image sets and planes; adjust zoom, fusion blending, and window/level; and measure dimensions and SUV.

iphonemimvista.jpg

Cost: FREE!
--
EPOCRATES RX
The free Epocrates Rx software for iPhone OS puts continually updated peer-reviewed drug information at your fingertips. Epocrates information has been shown to:

Improve patient care and safety
Save time
Reduce administrative burden
Enable confident clinical decisions

screen-iphone-overview.png

Cost: Free

--
Netter's Anatomy
Using outstanding anatomical illustrations from Netter's hugely popular Atlas of Human Anatomy (4th Edition), Netter's Anatomy allows you to carry the bestselling reference for human anatomy on your iPhone or iPod touch. Navigate through images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to test your knowledge of muscles, bones, vessels, viscera and the joints. Use study mode to explore images at your own pace and quiz mode to test yourself on what you know.

The concise text reviews areas of origin, insertion, action, innervation, and anatomical relevance. The notes also include clinical correlations, where appropriate. A regional organization parallels Netter's atlas as well as most of today's anatomy courses.

netter_anat.png

--
Netter's Neuroscience
Enhance your understand of key neuroscience conceptis with Netter's Neuroscience Flash Cards for iPhone and iPod touch. Consisting of 225 individual illustrations taken directly from Netter's Atlas of Human Neuroscience, these full color images offer exquisite detail and helpful identifications of each annotated structure. Navigate through images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to test your knowlodge of muscles, bones, vessles, viscera and the joints. Use study mode to explore images at your own page and quiz mode to test yourself on what you know.

Netter's Neuroscience was designed and adapted for the Phone and iPod touch by professional medical educators to maximize pedagogical efficacy. In addition to the illustrations, added text offers explanatory comments about images to provide additional clinical insight and perspective.

netter_neuro.png

Modality Inc. actually has a bunch of medical apps coming that if they ever let their numbers go public, will certainly spurn more developers to make useful apps for us!

Link: http://www.modalitylearning.com/medical-students.asp

anyone know any differential diagnosis programs for the iPhone?

Members don't see this ad :)
there's an app on the app store called filemagnet.
it lets you keep your documents on you iphone instead of needing a net connection.
i now have my lecture notes and some pdf texts on my iPhone:D

this is an awesome app, only downside i dont think it's searchable -- yet

link
http://www.magnetismstudios.com/filemagnet/#faq

Last edited by a moderator:
Modality Inc. just added a new set of flash cards: musculoskeletal.

Netter's Musculoskeletal Flash Cards

Master the musculoskeletal anatomy and pathology you need to know. These 210 flash cards use outstanding illustrations created by, and in the style of, master medical illustrator Frank H. Netter, MD to help you test your knowledge of bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. Netter illustrations are supplemented with clinical, radiographic, and arthroscopic images depicting the most common musculoskeletal pathologies. Navigate through images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to test your knowledge of muscles, bones, vessels, viscera and the joints. Use study mode to explore images at your own pace and quiz mode to test yourself on what you know.

Netter's Musculoskeletal was designed and adapted for the iPhone and iPod touch by professional medical educators to maximize pedagogical efficacy. In addition to the illustrations, added text offers explanatory comments about images to provide additional clinical insight and perspective.

netter_musculo.png

I got bored and emailed Pocket Medicine asking about whether they were planning on developing anything for the iPhone. The response I got was:

Dear *****,

There will be. We're working on it. Not yet ready.

Lew

So hopefully it'll be ready by mid-semester when our ClinMed class really picks up.

I don't believe someone is charging $15 for a pregnancy calender in the App Store.

I think I'm going to learn some iphone programing in my free time so I can get some free apps going.

Members don't see this ad :)
iSilo for the iPhone should be hitting pretty soon. I've got quite a number of books in that format. Accessing Robbins on the iphone would be Godsend.

TablesLongAndWide.gif

isilo is on the app store :)

You are so right!

This is going to be the best $10 spent...:cool:

---

Looks like a pretty difficult job transferring files; you need to setup a web server. I think a Jailbroken iphone should simplify the process.

For someone that is completely computer illiterate (but is trying to learn...especially since I just got my iPhone today), can someone please explain a couple things to me?

1) What is iSilo used for?

2) What the heck is all this talk about MobileMe?!

For someone that is completely computer illiterate (but is trying to learn...especially since I just got my iPhone today), can someone please explain a couple things to me?

1) What is iSilo used for?

--

There are hundreds of medical books in the iSilo format; its kind of like a pdf reader but for books and formatted for the small screen.

You can read more about iSilo at their website: http://www.isilo.com/index.htm

For medical books, heres a place to start: Medical iSilo Depot

Oh...thanks! So then I have to buy separate books specifically for iSilo? Sounds like a great way for them to make some money...haha!

Can't wait for more native programs...starting...to...get...impatient!

Does anyone know if there's a patch for skyscape that's gonna come out? :D

Thanks!

Oh...thanks! So then I have to buy separate books specifically for iSilo? Sounds like a great way for them to make some money...haha!

Can't wait for more native programs...starting...to...get...impatient!

There are certain isilo medical files that are rips from the studentconsult.com website; I don't know the legitimacy of using these files, but I'm assuming if you bought the book, and you have access to studentconsult and the content, then you should no problem 'offline' browsing. I suppose you know of a certain 'bay' website where you can find these ebooks.

What do you mean by a "patch?"

I think certain palm programs are also formated in *.pdb -- not too sure if this is readable by isilo but perhaps someone could give them a go.

I think certain palm programs are also formated in *.pdb -- not too sure if this is readable by isilo but perhaps someone could give them a go.

The Palm OS recognizes only two native file types. *.prc files are executable programs. *.pdb is a generic Palm OS data file type. There's a hidden attribute known as the "creator ID" that identifies which program it goes with or can be read by, but you'll need a third-party utility like FileMan to view this. Applications like iSilo will automatically identify and open compatible files.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hearing mixed reviews about the iSilo for the iPhone. Apparently it's a great idea, but just really annoying to use. Can someone here give me a brief review of what they think about it and if it's worth my $10?

Also, if/when they update iSilo, does the update become free? Sorry, I'm new to all this pda stuff!

Here are some screenshots I took of Robbins running on iSilo.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

worth my $10?

Also, if/when they update iSilo, does the update become free? Sorry, I'm new to all this pda stuff!

Yes, its worth it; updates are free and are managed directly through the itunes store.

You might want to wait for a more stable release -- it doesn't read all isilo files correctly and its a little slow in scrolling. I don't know if they'll up the price; right now $10.00 is a steal.

i think if you've got pdb files you want on your iphone it's great. given the choice i'd rather get native apps, but i have a large collection of pdbs so it's great to be able to access them.

scrolling is a little slow and jerky.

some larger images in some pdb documents dont let you move them around on the screen so you cant see the entire image.

hopefully things will improve with an update.

file transfer is tricky to get started, much less elegant than filemagnet

it's pretty cheap.

Emailed skyscape and they said all off their apps should be available in a month or two. This means I can finally leave the Palm at home...

You can add Mediquations to the list.

http://mediquations.com

Thanks tscottturner for mentioning my app.

If you all are looking for a medical calculator, check out my app, Mediquations. It was posted only a week ago on the app store, and it's done very well so far. An update is coming out in the next day or two that will give Mediquations nearly 70 equations.

I am currently a third year medical student at UTMB and a former Apple software engineer, so this program is naturally close to my heart. If you have any suggestions, feel free to PM me! Thanks!

I am currently a third year medical student at UTMB and a former Apple software engineer, so this program is naturally close to my heart. If you have any suggestions, feel free to PM me! Thanks!

Awesome zkmusa, I've updated your app to the top of the list. Is/was Steve Jobs as ruthless as many have made him out to be? :cool:

Does anyone know if the Netter's Anatomy flash cards show muscle, like the musculoskeletal flash cards? If so, which would be better as a resource for Gross?

Thanks tscottturner for mentioning my app.

If you all are looking for a medical calculator, check out my app, Mediquations. It was posted only a week ago on the app store, and it's done very well so far. An update is coming out in the next day or two that will give Mediquations nearly 70 equations.

No problem. I really like the improvements in 1.0.2. It's pretty impressive how far its come in such a short time. You must be on a family medicine or psych rotation right now...

I know the free Medcalc has been mentioned in this thread, but if you're looking for a more featureful and complete medical calculator you should check out my program MediMath. It has a bunch of calculators Medcalc doesn't, lets you search and set up favorites, has a much faster interface for entering values, and gives you interpretations of results as well as information you might need if you're pimped on the calculator, such as the actual formula used and literature references for it.

I'm a 4th year med student at Emory. Please message know if you run into anything MediMath is missing - I'll be happy to add features to fit my fellow med students' needs :)

I am (4th year MS) curious if anyone knows of a pending release of a Differential Diagnosis program for iPhone that doesn't require internet access (like epocrates). I have epocrates, medical calc, eponyms, Netters... all good except Netter's isn't as detailed as one would like, you can only see what the pins show.

I want a non-internet DDx program, and have started making an iPhone version with my brother (he's a computer genuis)... but wanted to throw a feeler out to see what demand is like for this, or if anyone else is making one with the SDK.

It would be based on the pocket ddx books out there- it would be an all text program with indexing like epocrates and an alphabet along the side for quick tap index... nothing special but we would charge $10-20 for it. It's a drop in the bucket compared to my loan debt! And having the info on hand without need for internet access or several books on my person is invaluable. (yeah yeah- I know you all want it free)

Thoughts? Ideas?:thumbdown:?:thumbup:?

-dadonk

I talked to the skyscape people and they said they are working on some stand alone apps. Why they choose to web based is beyond me....

anything for psych?

differential/DSM/dosings/medications/etc?

Ok, some blatant advertising from an MS3:

My buddy and I are putting together some medical apps for the iPhone. Our first one -- EyeChart -- came out today. It's a 100% free Snellen Eye Chart. For those of you with iPhone or iPod Touches, it'd be really cool if you could download it, try it out, and let me know what you think. There's karmic bonus points if you try it out at Free Clinic too
smilewink.gif
. And double bonus for 5-star reviews on the app store. Triple points are for telling friends at other med schools. And quadruple points for just being your special selves. Yes, yes. Plenty of karma for all!

Our other app -- MedCards -- will be coming out soon. Check out our website for details:
http://www.dokcompany.com

End of blatant ad.

I'm a fan of EyeChart! Many physical forms request documentation of visual acuity. The problem is having to stop the exam, get everyone out of the room and go to the eye chart. There aren't a lot of 20 foot unobstructed hallways that are devoid of patients and staff in my offices these days. If I really have some questions about someone's visual acuity, I will do a formal screening but this should work just fine from 4 feet away. Sure, you can have a nurse or staff do it but, in private practice, you will quickly find that keeping your nurse from having to do as many tedious tasks as possible makes things run much more smoothly.