Technology iPhone Medical Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ad-CaseLogs5.jpg

You gotta check this one out!
http://www.caselogs.org

Lexi-comp has finally arrived for the iPhone. All of their suites have become available including a spanish pediatrics version.

Just search for Lexi-comp in the iTunes store. As of right now there are no student discounts, but I was told by a Lexi-comp rep that they are working on something and should have an answer by the first of december.

Found this in the app store, might be helpful for some.

http://clinicalcliffs.com/applications.html

General History is a concise and thorough outline developed by a doctor to methodically assist nurses, medical students, and practicing physicians with taking a General Patient History. It includes succinct notes to which one can immediately refer while working on the Hospital Wards. These notes are highly relevant for medical students training for the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills Exam.

General History on iTunes App Store

I'm still waiting for Steadman to show up! Thats the only killer-app I need right now.

Check out medpod101 in iTunes a free podcast that presents you with a clinical scenario with presenthing symptoms, signs, DD, imaging modalities and treatment options.

Hey would any of these apps actually help me as an incoming MS-1? I'm starting in August and if they'll actually be beneficial than I wouldn't mind spending the cash for good study tools.

Does anyone have experience using a specific app as a tool for learning, not necessarily just reference?

Hey would any of these apps actually help me as an incoming MS-1? I'm starting in August and if they'll actually be beneficial than I wouldn't mind spending the cash for good study tools.

Does anyone have experience using a specific app as a tool for learning, not necessarily just reference?

If you have a mac and are a flashcard person the most useful would probably be the mental case flashcard program. It works very similar to itunes in the sense that it lets you synchronize flash card sets from your computer to your iphone/ipod touch (but you can do it wirelessly). You can also use it to download from the thousands of pre-made med school/USMLE sets directly from flashcardexchange.com to your handheld. This is all in addition to being the easiest program to make your own flashcards.

Members don't see this ad :)

Probably not... Just get your books and use those.

The netter anatomy flashcards would probably be the most relevant app and the Eponym app always comes in handy.

The netter anatomy flashcards would probably be the most relevant app and the Eponym app always comes in handy.
I used the netter flash cards and wished that I didn't waste my money on them, not as helpful as you think. IMHO just get the regular flash cards or I can sell you mine from last year which I no longer need

Any word when "Pocket Companion to Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease" will be available for the iPhone?

InstantECG1.jpg

Check out this new iPhone App... you can actually watch full screen electrocardiogram movies with Instant ECG.

The ECG Guide for the iPhone, available on the app store now!

- Clear description of both common and complex ECG findings
- Over 100 sample ECGs for easy reference and visual learning, indexed by topic
- Quiz feature for studying and review
- All ECGs are high resolution images

iphonewithecgguide.jpg

Learn more at http://www.qxmd.com/the-ecg-guide-for-iPhone/

Last edited:
I bought the other EKG app because I liked how it had the other names for heart blocks on the main list so that when the doc tells me what WPW looks like, I can see it immediately. The videos are nice - but as a med student, I can say they're useless unless you're trying to pull up a convo with an intern / resident. If you guys had the full names on the main list, I would have totally bought yours.

I got free access to epocrates essentials for iphone through my school, IT'S FANTASTIC and is a native program (no need for wifi or 3G/Edge connection). truly great addition!

I got free access to epocrates essentials for iphone through my school, IT'S FANTASTIC and is a native program (no need for wifi or 3G/Edge connection). truly great addition!

Lucky you. Can I go to your school? There are a lot of coupon codes for 50% off but free beats that.

Epocrates Essentials now available for the iPhone

One year $149 two years $249. Now all Apple needs to do is update the iPhone some time before July.

Wow, this must have just been released. Been doing a bunch of research the past couple weeks on phone/PDAs and was looking at what was supported on each model. Was already leaning towards the iPhone (vs. Blackberry bold) but this just may do it for me.

We don't have subscription to epocrates through school, but do have access to Dynamed and they have PDA versions for multiple platforms, including iPhone. May be worth checking to see if your school has subscription, if so you just request a serial number and download the program.

CMASTU0506 or
APA95014STU
Epocrates 50% off

Because I love you guys.

And yes it was just released. I posted that the day it was released.

thanks for the codes! my school does not have free versions for the med students... :D you saved me a bunch! ;)

Why stand alone apps? Why not just pay for G3 data and access Up To Date or Harrisons or eMedicine via the web?

Thinking about jumping into the iPhone thing, but figured I'd just use web-based stuff so I don't have to always be updating 20 apps all the time.

Opinions helpful.

Why stand alone apps? Why not just pay for G3 data and access Up To Date or Harrisons or eMedicine via the web?

Thinking about jumping into the iPhone thing, but figured I'd just use web-based stuff so I don't have to always be updating 20 apps all the time.

Opinions helpful.
If you are in the hospital and you are within a dead zone then you won't be able to access the web like you need. Also having the info on your device and not on the web makes it easier and faster to get answers.

Because stand-alone apps can do a lot more than reference texts can. If you have an iPhone and would like to try out an example, I'm beta testing STAT GrowthCharts for iPhone (PM me your iPhone UDID, Google it). Sure, you can download the CDC Growth Charts from the web, too. But the CDC Growth Charts don't allow you to input birth date, height and weight, sex, head circ and immediately get your weight percentile, height percentile, BMI percentile, etc.

Because stand-alone apps can do a lot more than reference texts can. If you have an iPhone and would like to try out an example, I'm beta testing STAT GrowthCharts for iPhone (PM me your iPhone UDID, Google it). Sure, you can download the CDC Growth Charts from the web, too. But the CDC Growth Charts don't allow you to input birth date, height and weight, sex, head circ and immediately get your weight percentile, height percentile, BMI percentile, etc.
Actually there are allot of iPhone apps that allow you to actually input data and get the results Take a look

http://ax.search.itunes.apple.com/W...tware&media=all&submit=seeAllLockups&term=BMI

Edit:

Opps sorry I read the original post wrong.

FYI after posting the coupon codes I realized that my med school does give away epocrates essentials for free and a few other programs. So everyone make sure to check your PDA support site before buying.

Opinions helpful.

Like what was said above, if your hospital doesn't have wireless and you can't get a cell signal (or no 3G service there) then you can't get online or at most have very slow access. Just nice to be able to look up a drug or something without having to go on-line.

Anyone using Dynamed on their iPhone?

Currently playing around with dynamed on my old iPaq (windows mobile) as our school has a subscription to it, but saw that they have an iphone version as well.

Hi All,

We just released a new iPhone app simply named "Visual Acuity" for measuring near visual acuity (http://iphone.kybervision.com/visualacuity/). Rather than using the flawed Snellen chart, this app displays Landolt C and Tumbling E optotypes of varying size using an adaptive procedure. If anyone is interested to try it, provide feedback and possibly post a review on the AppStore, let us know ([email protected]) and we will send you a promotional code to get the app for free (available ONLY to those with an Apple account at US AppStore!). Of course, you can also buy it if you think it's worth the price...

Thanks!
Best Regards,

William Beaudot
KyberVision Consulting, R&D
http://www.kybervision.com

Hi All,

Just wanted everyone to know we released two applications for the iphone that can be useful on the wards. Both programs are designed and programmed by two Hospitalists so we tried to make both easy and quick to use on rounds or on call.

Acid Plus - ABG calculator for the iphone
- Already over 3000 users!

acidplus_app_image.png

Lytes - quick electrolyte review and management

lytes_app_image.png

Check out our website for more information
www.freeradicalsoft.com

We always appreciate suggestions so go ahead and drop us an email with any comments etc at support(at)freeradicalsoft.com

thanks
Prasanth
freeradicalsoft.com

Last edited:
so i'm thinking of getting an I phone in the relatively near future, but would really like some sort of program that interfaces well b/t the mac computer and the i phone and allows me to create nice flash cards, that are sharable, and picture 'insertable'. Any thoughts? anyone know of something like this ? or better yet has actually used something like this and could recommend it? Thanks a buch!

so i'm thinking of getting an I phone in the relatively near future, but would really like some sort of program that interfaces well b/t the mac computer and the i phone and allows me to create nice flash cards, that are sharable, and picture 'insertable'. Any thoughts? anyone know of something like this ? or better yet has actually used something like this and could recommend it? Thanks a buch!
heck out mental case... just google it. should come up

iPhone 3.0 software update was announced the other day. Should be out this summer and adds push, copy/paste, MMS, and a ton of new APIs for developers among other things, so hopefully we'll see some new/cool features coming up in future programs.

Medical Drug Pronunciations

Has audio drug pronunciations of just about any drug you can think of. Pretty useful for med students, nursing students, etc.

There's a free Lite version too if you want to test it out.

Main.png
Pic1.png
pic2.png
pic3.png

Interesting. I always thought it was funny during 3rd and 4th year when some of my classmates would completely butcher the pronounciation of medical terms because they absolutely never went to lecture during the first two years - just studied the note service and books.