Mar 24, 2010
Status
Hi. I just matched into an EM program and am hoping some of the residents on this forum could give me advice regarding whether I should get an iPhone or iTouch. I have a TMobile plan right now and I have been a customer with them for so long I really hate to switch to AT&T -- however it seems like most everyone has the iPhone. Does the iTouch have the same capabilities as the iPhone? Does anyone here have both a phone and iTouch? Can you text to a phone from the iTouch? I apologize if these questions have already been answered somewhere on this Forum.

Thanks!

Entgegen

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi. I just matched into an EM program and am hoping some of the residents on this forum could give me advice regarding whether I should get an iPhone or iTouch. I have a TMobile plan right now and I have been a customer with them for so long I really hate to switch to AT&T -- however it seems like most everyone has the iPhone. Does the iTouch have the same capabilities as the iPhone? Does anyone here have both a phone and iTouch? Can you text to a phone from the iTouch? I apologize if these questions have already been answered somewhere on this Forum.

Thanks!
I'm not in EM nor do I plan to be, but I do have a phone (with Verizon) and an iPod Touch. It really comes down to what you're looking for and whether or not you want to carry around 2 devices or just one. You can't text to another phone with the iPod Touch since it doesn't have any sort of cellular network. It does have WiFi capability though, so if you have WiFi in the hospital, you can still access the internet/email. Other than that, it's pretty much identical to the iPhone, except for some apps that may require cellular coverage or a camera or something.

Smackey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why don't you get the nexus one on t-mobile? I have the droid and most of my iphone friends like the droid better when they use it. The Droid and nexus one are almost identical.

/didn't answer your question. =)

HIJay

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
NYC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you can text to other phone on the itouch using wifi on apps like "ping" if the other user also have the same app

katiecornflakes

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm not in EM nor do I plan to be, but I do have a phone (with Verizon) and an iPod Touch. It really comes down to what you're looking for and whether or not you want to carry around 2 devices or just one. You can't text to another phone with the iPod Touch since it doesn't have any sort of cellular network. It does have WiFi capability though, so if you have WiFi in the hospital, you can still access the internet/email. Other than that, it's pretty much identical to the iPhone, except for some apps that may require cellular coverage or a camera or something.

I had an iPod Touch and just carried both and finally went to the iPhone. I agree that it does mostly depend on how much you want to carry around with you. Also it can be annoying if you are in a place with spotty or no wireless that the Touch basically becomes useless. Shouldn't be an issue in most hospitals, though.

There is an app (Textfree lite) that allows you to send and recieve texts to/from phones for free as long as you have wireless access. I used that a lot.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
you can text to other phone on the itouch using wifi on apps like "ping" if the other user also have the same app
Which is to say that you can text to like 4 other people on the planet.

doctorFred

intensive carer
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
, location, location!
Status
Attending Physician
i had an itouch and a cheap phone from verizon for a long time - i finally caved (like the above poster) and switched to the iphone, and have never looked back. it's so much easier not to carry around two devices, and really, the iphone does more than either of them ever did combined. att has a reputation for poor reception but i haven't had any issues so far. would totally recommend the switch.

takotsubo

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2007
Washington
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i have an iphone with tmobile.

just get an iphone off ebay... it's easy to unlock or you can buy one that is unlocked (which usually costs more because people dont know how easy it is).

thorg12

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
droid does...seriously best phone i ever had. the itouch with internet is ok but you need a phone.