iPhones, iPads, Idon'tgetit.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I get that in many things,

I am in the minority....

I like indie rock that most haven't heard of,
I think you should try not to look like every other interveiwee on the trail, I like black licorice and sambuca and white russians and hate wine.

I get it.

And what I am about to say is no acception. Most people completely disagree with me.

But seriously, I just don't get -

So Apple creates these amazing products. They are engineering marvels, and so well built and constructed. If you have seen the video of how the iphone 4 was made, they BEND the glass....they freaking BEND the glass....that is how great the glass on the screen is. It is scratch resistant and all this other jazz.

And these products feel so great in your hand. I remember holding the first iphone and thought - this is sent straight from heaven.

Anyway, despite all that, people take this awesome product and place it in some crappy, ugly, bulky plastic case. (they do the same with iPads)

I remember with my first iphone, getting this "skin" that you placed on the phone, but that got all gunky and scratched - but the awesome phone never does. It doesn't scratch (within reason), it cleans off really well, etc.

And the truth is, the glass will still break a lot of the time in the case, so you can't use that as an excuse to why you are making your amazingly designed phone look like a piece of sheeit.

Seriously, I just don't get.

I had the orginal iphone until 2 weeks ago. (Seriously, it was probably the very first phone off the production line...it was that old. It cost me $600.) The screen remained unscratched and unscathed for over 4 years. I placed that thing in my pocket next to keys every day. I dropped it over a dozen times. Finally, last month, the concrete finally won and the screen cracked. So I got the new phone. It again is a marvel to hold in my hand.

You all enjoy your plastic though.

Members don't see this ad.

You know what I don't get?? What the whole point of an ipad is... I just don't get it. It's like a giant iPhone, except you can't make calls with it. I'd rather have my laptop any day :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Second the excellent need for an excellent case. This is mine: cover and phone charger in one. The Mophie Juice Pack

//www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-air-iPhone-4-battery-case-p/1145_jpa-ip4-blk.htm

Hands down great device. Never run out of battery.

D712

My iPhone 4 is totally bareback. I went through different cases, but they just got in the way. At work, I keep it in my scrub top pocket. It's easier to take out and put in the pocket with no case on. I've had a couple close calls with falling on the floor, but no scratches so far (18 months).

I realize the innuendo potential for this post is 100% so just go ahead.

My iPhone 4 is totally bareback. I went through different cases, but they just got in the way. At work, I keep it in my scrub top pocket. It's easier to take out and put in the pocket with no case on. I've had a couple close calls with falling on the floor, but no scratches so far (18 months).

I realize the innuendo potential for this post is 100% so just go ahead.

In your end oh...

I ride bareback with my iPhone (3Gs) as well... of course, I've been fixed... and my iPhone has about 4-5 cracks in the plastic.

My sole reasoning for making my beautiful (although functionally questionable) iPad look like a huge plastic brick is that it is often in the handsof my 2 1/2 year old son, aka "The Destroyer of All that is Small and Expensive". I've actually yelled the words "No! We do NOT throw electronics!" in my house.

Enter Otterbox.

You know what I don't get?? What the whole point of an ipad is... I just don't get it. It's like a giant iPhone, except you can't make calls with it. I'd rather have my laptop any day :)

:thumbup:

Yeah - I don't just get it, either.

In what way is the iPad any better than the MacBook Air?

HH

It's lighter and easier to carry around.....unfortunately you are limited as to what you can do with it, unlike a MacBook.

iPads/Tablets will become very powerful it will take a big dent into laptop sales the way laptop sales put a dent into the Desktop market. The iPad is the greatest couch gadget invented since the remote control. I leave the iPhone on the kitchen counter when I get home.

People forget very quickly that laptops used to be 2-3 steps below computing processing power and 3-4 times below the graphics processor power as desktops.

Now the performance are very close together that it makes sense to get the laptop over the desktop.

The same will be true of the tablet vs laptop argument.

Once iOS and Mac OSx merge (Lion is just the beginning of the merging) and once apple gives us a real file system. Quad core ARM processors are just around the corner.

Maybe by the 4th generation tablets people will be seriously consider the tablet over the laptop.

Pros of tablets in the future over laptops
1. Portability
2. Battery life
3. Instant on (MBA with flash drives are instant on also)

I have had all the i gadgets (27 inch iMac core I7, MBA, iPad , iPhones ) in addition to all types of android phones (galaxy s, Atrix, original G1).

:thumbup:

Yeah - I don't just get it, either.

In what way is the iPad any better than the MacBook Air?

HH

I own both MBA and iPad. The iPad gets more use than the MBA. That's just me. I use it to surf the web. Write quick emails. Read magazines. I also download PDFs into Goodreader. And play quick sports games like Fifa, Maddens, NBA Jam.

Guess it depend on what other gadgets you have around. For real work I got my 27 inch iMac core i7.

I assume most of you residents use your laptop as your primary computing device. That's why you favor the MBA (which is the best selling laptop in the USA).

I am in the minority....

I like indie rock that most haven't heard of,
I think you should try not to look like every other interveiwee on the trail, I like black licorice and sambuca and white russians and hate wine.

I get it.

And what I am about to say is no acception. Most people completely disagree with me.

So Apple creates these amazing products. They are engineering marvels, and so well built and constructed. If you have seen the video of how the iphone 4 was made, they BEND the glass....they freaking BEND the glass....that is how great the glass on the screen is. It is scratch resistant and all this other jazz.

And these products feel so great in your hand. I remember holding the first iphone and thought - this is sent straight from heaven.

Anyway, despite all that, people take this awesome product and place it in some crappy, ugly, bulky plastic case. (they do the same with iPads)

I remember with my first iphone, getting this "skin" that you placed on the phone, but that got all gunky and scratched - but the awesome phone never does. It doesn't scratch (within reason), it cleans off really well, etc.

And the truth is, the glass will still break a lot of the time in the case, so you can't use that as an excuse to why you are making your amazingly designed phone look like a piece of sheeit.

I had the orginal iphone until 2 weeks ago. (Seriously, it was probably the very first phone off the production line...it was that old. It cost me $600.) The screen remained unscratched and unscathed for over 4 years. I placed that thing in my pocket next to keys every day. I dropped it over a dozen times. Finally, last month, the concrete finally won and the screen cracked. So I got the new phone. It again is a marvel to hold in my hand.

Agreed. Apple makes sleek beautiful products. Just ordered the iPhone 4S. Put it in a bulky case? No thanks.

Last edited:

I used to think that, until I bought one. It truly is quite convenient for a great many things..

To epidural, I have a case on my iPhone simply because I find it a bit too small and slippery to comfortably hold. No screen protector. I have a "case" on my iPad that doubles as a stand, which is really the primary purpose of that case, again no screen protection..

My Magpul iPhone case http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/125
My iPad stand/case http://www.target.com/p/Belkin-Leather-Folio-Case-with-Stand-for-iPad-Black-F8N613ttC00/-/A-13401952

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a MBA and an iPad. I am too lazy to hold the iPad up while lazing on the couch. I can set the MBA on my lap and cruise. Now my iPad is just for my children to play with.

Of course, I am typing this message on my iPhone. For me, the perfect mix is iPhone and MBA.

oh and I ride bareback too. Replaced the glass on my 3GS once about 3 months ago shortly before running over it with the law mower. Wonder if the Otterbox would have saved it, but glad I had an excuse to Upgrayedd (spelled thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of his pimping)

-pod

I have a MBA and an iPad. I am too lazy to hold the iPad up while lazing on the couch. I can set the MBA on my lap and cruise. Now my iPad is just for my children to play with.

Of course, I am typing this message on my iPhone. For me, the perfect mix is iPhone and MBA.

oh and I ride bareback too. Replaced the glass on my 3GS once about 3 months ago shortly before running over it with the law mower. Wonder if the Otterbox would have saved it, but glad I had an excuse to Upgrayedd (spelled thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of his pimping)

-pod

Was that an idiocracy quote? Awesome-horrible movie

Man that movie is bad as a movie. But the concept and idea when you think about it isn't even brilliant it's simply the truth, and you don't realize it in full until you see all your fellow med student/law student/doctor/lawyer friends having 1-2 kids tops in their thirties and your doing OB seeing 16 year olds on their 2nd kid or crack ****** on their 5th

Just got my first iphone, a 4S, on release day. Love it. Fast, does lots. Wish the battery was better.

Epidural man must know that I have a lame case. I bought one on amazon for under $2.00 including shipping. Its already saved me one drop on the concrete, and it was cheaper than an otter box case :) I do like the look of my iphone bareback, but I'm not not in a hurry to get my second one. Although, I wish I would have gotten a 32 gig instead of a 16. Oh well, in two years.

The morning after I watched that movie I had to go to work the next morning. I hit a gas station for some coffee on my way to work and got stuck behind 2 people straight out of that movie. They were a match made in heaven...

IN THE BLUE CORNER...
with a combined weight of 725 lbs...
sporting his and hers mullets, and 18 teeth between the two of them...

DUMB AND DUMBER!!!!

It was beautiful. They each had their 196oz jugs of pop/soda/cola/coke/whatever the hell you people call it, they each had a box of donuts, and they each picked up a carton of cigs. They exited stage right while I was paying for my coffee... but the epic-osity (yeah, I made it up) continued in the parking lot. As I walked out of the gas station, headed towards my car, I noticed twiddle-dee and twiddle-******* standing outside of their white ford explorer (with sagging suspension). What follows is the dialogue that occurred as closely as I can recall it:

IQ60(driver)- "Why ain't ya getting in the car?" (as she was walking around the front of the car)
IQ50 - "It's locked..."
IQ60 - "Why the hell'd you lock it? My purse is in there"
IQ50 - "So?"
IQ60 - "My keys is in it"
IQ50 - "HOW the hell was I's supposed to know that?"
IQ60 - "Well NOW what's we supposed to do?"

I got in my car and drove off while they stared at their car with dumbfounded looks on their faces.

The entire way to work I could only think "It's happening..."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man that movie is bad as a movie. But the concept and idea when you think about it isn't even brilliant it's simply the truth, and you don't realize it in full until you see all your fellow med student/law student/doctor/lawyer friends having 1-2 kids tops in their thirties and your doing OB seeing 16 year olds on their 2nd kid or crack ****** on their 5th

It's great, isn't it? One of my friends was griping about doing 2 AM epidurals for these high achieving self-pay (no-pay) moms, and how he hated getting out of bed to do their free 100% elective procedure that ACOG/ASA et al have enshrined as the birthright of all laboring women.

I told him not to sweat it, that writing off the epidural was nothing compared to what she and her herd of kids were going to cost us over the next 50+ years, but it didn't cheer him up.

Then an eavesdropping nurse told me I lacked compassion. I don't think she wrote me up though.

It's great, isn't it? One of my friends was griping about doing 2 AM epidurals for these high achieving self-pay (no-pay) moms, and how he hated getting out of bed to do their free 100% elective procedure that ACOG/ASA et al have enshrined as the birthright of all laboring women.

I told him not to sweat it, that writing off the epidural was nothing compared to what she and her herd of kids were going to cost us over the next 50+ years, but it didn't cheer him up.

Then an eavesdropping nurse told me I lacked compassion. I don't think she wrote me up though.

You left out the part about how they have a BMI>50 and complain that the epidural is taking too long.

My L&D experiences were worth it for the graphic lower back tattoos I saw.

:laugh::laugh: so true...

You left out the part about how they have a BMI>50 and complain that the epidural is taking too long.

Yeah, at least the teenage moms usually aren't morbidly obese.

My L&D experiences were worth it for the graphic lower back tattoos I saw.

This one isn't graphic but it's one of my favorites ... pre-emptive forgiveness for 3+ attempts. :)

nobody-perfect.jpg

I've actually yelled the words "No! We do NOT throw electronics!" in my house.

And a related rule in our house: "We do not flush electronics down the toilet."

Part B. "I know the guinea pig is not an electonic ... but we don't flush him down the toilet either."

The morning after I watched that movie I had to go to work the next morning. I hit a gas station for some coffee on my way to work and got stuck behind 2 people straight out of that movie. They were a match made in heaven...

IN THE BLUE CORNER...
with a combined weight of 725 lbs...
sporting his and hers mullets, and 18 teeth between the two of them...

DUMB AND DUMBER!!!!

It was beautiful. They each had their 196oz jugs of pop/soda/cola/coke/whatever the hell you people call it, they each had a box of donuts, and they each picked up a carton of cigs. They exited stage right while I was paying for my coffee... but the epic-osity (yeah, I made it up) continued in the parking lot. As I walked out of the gas station, headed towards my car, I noticed twiddle-dee and twiddle-******* standing outside of their white ford explorer (with sagging suspension). What follows is the dialogue that occurred as closely as I can recall it:

IQ60(driver)- "Why ain't ya getting in the car?" (as she was walking around the front of the car)
IQ50 - "It's locked..."
IQ60 - "Why the hell'd you lock it? My purse is in there"
IQ50 - "So?"
IQ60 - "My keys is in it"
IQ50 - "HOW the hell was I's supposed to know that?"
IQ60 - "Well NOW what's we supposed to do?"

I got in my car and drove off while they stared at their car with dumbfounded looks on their faces.

The entire way to work I could only think "It's happening..."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That, my friend, is one hilarious post! :thumbup:

Yeah, at least the teenage moms usually aren't morbidly obese.

This one isn't graphic but it's one of my favorites ... pre-emptive forgiveness for 3+ attempts. :)

nobody-perfect.jpg

Awesome pic! How did you sneak that without her knowing?

:lol:

agree completely )))) I remember the feel of Motorola Razor when it just appeared and how different was it in an ugly leather cover :mad:

I leave my phones and gadgets without covers - and enjoy them as they are. So far the best feel has ipod touch.

I put them in my inner pocket of the scrub's shirt, though )))))

If not for my otterbox, I'd be on at LEAST my 4th iphone by now.

Make that 5 ...

Dropped it today, and tried to grab it as it fell, but ended up swatting it earthward and accelerating its descent to the concrete floor of my garage. Saved again by the otterbox.

(That's actually how I broke my first Palm Pilot years ago. Onlookers thought I threw it to the floor in a fit of rage, but it was just a klutzy attempt to catch it. No otterboxes in those days.)

Tried my iPhone 4 for a few weeks without a case, and it was just too slippery, especially in my scrub pocket. Found what I think is about the slimmest case on the market, basically a bumper with a slim back and optional screen protector.

Best way to describe the back of it is that it feels like parchment paper. Adds maybe 5-6 mm to the profile. Feels nice in the palm. (add punchline here).

matte-base.jpg

Tried my iPhone 4 for a few weeks without a case, and it was just too slippery, especially in my scrub pocket. Found what I think is about the slimmest case on the market, basically a bumper with a slim back and optional screen protector.

Best way to describe the back of it is that it feels like parchment paper. Adds maybe 5-6 mm to the profile. Feels nice in the palm. (add punchline here).

matte-base.jpg

Too easy, Bert, too easy.

Make that 5 ...

Dropped it today, and tried to grab it as it fell, but ended up swatting it earthward and accelerating its descent to the concrete floor of my garage. Saved again by the otterbox.

(That's actually how I broke my first Palm Pilot years ago. Onlookers thought I threw it to the floor in a fit of rage, but it was just a klutzy attempt to catch it. No otterboxes in those days.)

:laugh: I seem to have the propensity to do the same. The quick reflexive save attempt seems to only worsen situation.

Agreed. Apple makes sleek beautiful products. Just ordered the iPhone 4S. Put it in a bulky case? No thanks.

Well friends, I'm now a hypocrite. I bought an Otterbox Defender for the phone. My rationale went something like this... I don't drop my phone much, but it happens (and see above post). I really like the iPhone, but it is made of very breakable glass. I cannot afford to buy a replacement or the expensive insurance. If I break it, I will no longer be able to have an iPhone... better get a case. Aesthetics took a back seat to actually being able to continue to use an iPhone.

I guess the more appropriate statement for me would have been, if money were not an issue, I would not put it in a case.

Just keep in mind that if you're under Applecare warranty, most of the time they'll switch your phone out for free. I dropped mine until one of the speakers went out. They gave me a new one. I dropped it and something else happened. They gave me another one.

I bought the iPhone 4s and call it a case of butter fingers but yea.. I dropped it. Luckily I had one of those clear incase cases on it but in general I don't like cases.

Those otterbox things scare me. I think they'd be great for self defense or say...if you stepped on a land mine and blew your legs off, at least you could have a functioning phone to call for help.