IR after DR for 2019 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashar008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just matched DR for this current match cycle. I am very interested in pursuing IR as a long term career goal. My DR does not have ESIR built in, but has had alumni match IR afterwards. I was wondering in my case what can I do to prepare from day one for IR as a potential fellowship choice. Also, how is the future for DR's trying to match IR programs vs all these new integrated IR programs popping up. I know this is a question with a potentially long answer. But I was just wondering all of your inputs. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would start first and foremost by entertaining the option that IR may NOT be for you. I say this with sincerity, not to diminish any interest you have.

The fellowship and residency match rates have an enormous discrepancy, which is indicative of either 1) the residents and med students have vast differences in interest of 2) the more likely one, the residents know something the med students do not.

If you want to do well for an IR match down the road, get involved with your programs department and do research. But my suspicion is quite a few IR hopefuls will be happy they didn’t match once they rotate through it and realize it isn’t “surgery with a lifestyle,” which is what draws quite a lot of people towards it, ironically enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree that this is not surgery light and I have noticed many IR students with buyer's remorse once they go into radiology and see their diagnostic counterparts take less frequent call, have lunch time off, get done at 5 pm and have many weekends off. The lifestyle of IR is very similar to surgery and now there are more and more consults for emergent procedures that occur after hours and on weekends. Pulmonary embolus, GI bleed, acute limb ischemia, hemoptysis, abscess drainage, renal pyonephrosis, DVT needing IVC filtration, stroke etc.

The successful IR practices have morning rounds, inpatient consultation service and outpatient longitudinal clinic. All of these involve extensive patient interactions and management of ill patients with cardiac, pulmonary, and renal comorbidities.

If you are certain you want to pursue interventional training, I encourage you to pursue a surgical internship (this showcases to IR program directors ) your commitment to surgical disciplines. During your diagnostic radiology training it is important that you do a fair amount of IR and clinical rotations such as vascular surgery, surgical oncology, transplant surgery, cardiology etc. You also want to have a solid experience in the outpatient clinic and feel comfortable with inpatient admissions.

IR research is also something that you should start doing as soon as possible and would look for projects even during internship. I would go to as many IR conferences (SIR etc) as you can go to and start networking with the IR program directors . Getting involved in your local IR symposium is another great way to network and showcase your enthusiasm for the specialty. Finally get involved in the SIR at the resident level. Interventional is an amazing and expanding field for those who are willing to put in the time and effort. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users