Ireland and prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterJH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all the med schools in Ireland have prereqs like bio and org chem?!? I found on the websites that RCSI does, but I can't really find anything about UCC?!? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

PeterJH said:
Do all the med schools in Ireland have prereqs like bio and org chem?!? I found on the websites that RCSI does, but I can't really find anything about UCC?!? Thanks so much.

Traditionally, those who have fulfilled normal pre-med requirements and gotten a science degree can apply for the 5-yr. programs. Those who have not received a science degree can apply for the 6 yr. programs. Those who have not received a science degree but have done "pre-med" requirements, may be eligible for exemptions depending on what course-work was covered, but this is on an individual basis and at the discretion of the heads of departments/schools.

However, general policy may be changing, with the advent of proposed changes to the medical curriculum, including more graduate entry into medicine and the shortening of all courses to 5 years (supposed to be implemented for 2007). I'd email atlantic bridge or UCC directly to see if they have any recommendations set at this time.

I emailed UCC admissions, and they sent me what seemed to be an automated response telling me to email Atlantic Bridge. So i emailed them, and they again sent me an automated response telling me to fill out their application form.

In any case, I am graduating from Biological Engineering and do not have biology and org chem. Am I right to assume I'd have to apply for the 6 year program? (am I even allowed to apply for it considering I already have a degree?)

Also with regards to all med schools worldwide, does anyone know if schools look at courses if you've taken them twice? I'm thinking about doing another year of school to do the bio and organic chem and apply to US schools, and I would have to redo chemistry and physics to get better marks. Will some schools take the better mark, or would most just average them? I doubt anyone will know, but maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks so much.

I'm turning 24 in May, anyone wanna give me some suggestions. Think I should take the extra year (end up being 2 years with application process) and apply to US, or just go to Europe/Australia?!? I think i want to end up in the US, but I'm scared I'll have wasted 2 years if i don't get into the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity...how do you get a biological engineering degree without taking biology and chemistry? is it the same thing as biomedical engineering? I'm not quite sure whether you'd be a 5 or 6 year candidate without seeing your list of courses, but then again, whoever's in charge of admissions could be strict and disagree with what we think would be ok qualifications.

Anyway, I think schools should look at the complete transcript. In the US, medical schools take the better of the two grades...they might see that you've taken the course twice, but they'll take the top one. This kind of thing doesn't happen in Europe, really...students don't re-take just one or two classes. So I'm not quite sure exactly how they'd consider it, but I'd imagine they'd also take the top mark.

It's always safer to apply to school and be educated in the place where you want to end up practicing. So in that regard, it might be better to stay in the US. Now, obviously this "advice" is tongue-in-cheek because those of us on here obviously didn't follow it, for whatever reason. But don't go abroad just because you're concerned about the age factor. Just make sure that if you stay in the US, you do the work necessary to make you a strong candidate to get into a US school.

PeterJH said:
I emailed UCC admissions, and they sent me what seemed to be an automated response telling me to email Atlantic Bridge. So i emailed them, and they again sent me an automated response telling me to fill out their application form.

In any case, I am graduating from Biological Engineering and do not have biology and org chem. Am I right to assume I'd have to apply for the 6 year program? (am I even allowed to apply for it considering I already have a degree?)

Also with regards to all med schools worldwide, does anyone know if schools look at courses if you've taken them twice? I'm thinking about doing another year of school to do the bio and organic chem and apply to US schools, and I would have to redo chemistry and physics to get better marks. Will some schools take the better mark, or would most just average them? I doubt anyone will know, but maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks so much.

I'm turning 24 in May, anyone wanna give me some suggestions. Think I should take the extra year (end up being 2 years with application process) and apply to US, or just go to Europe/Australia?!? I think i want to end up in the US, but I'm scared I'll have wasted 2 years if i don't get into the US.

Hi PeterJH,
If MEDICINE is the ONE thing that you really wanted to do...Age shouldn't be a factor. Further more, you are just a puppy (age wise)...come on...I'm 2 yrs or more older than you...and I'm just about to start my 1st yr this coming OCT. So, don't give up & Good Luck!