Ireland vs SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a good question actually, which i have no answer to. If i had to guess though, i'd assume ~295 isn't enough, considering that Canada has one of the most students studying abroad in the world. ~80% students at Saba/MUA are Canadians. Premed101 and reddit threads has posters saying ~1000 Canadian IMG's applied for US FM residencies last year, but i'm not sure where to find actual statistics on this.

All of this only applies to J1 Visa though. If you're able to get the H1B visa then you're good...but that's even harder to get because of the cost associated with it. In any case, things are now more complicated for Canadian IMG's than it used to be.
There were 412 Candian IMGs that entered the match in in total in 2014, so I'm going to go ahead and say that number is bull****. Like, by a long shot bull****.

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
The real issue is students not understanding what a devastating death blow a 10-20% non match rate is.

They see 80-90% and think that's good.

Classic issue with statistics and cognitive bias.

I've never been to a school where I was the bottom 10-20%. I'll be honest, anyone who is reading this and truly cares about their futures is willing to put in that effort and won't be the 10-20% who don't match.

Is it bad? yes. Is it devastating? no.

Members don't see this ad :)
She's a US MD grad, passed the Steps, wants FM in underserved area. Baffling that she failed to match.

I believe she says in the article that she failed a test or two, might have even been Step 1 but in all honesty I was just skimming it.

I believe she says in the article that she failed a test or two, might have even been Step 1 but in all honesty I was just skimming it.

Yeah I believe it was the Step I. Good god though she had such an entitlement complex though, I could feel it permeating through that entire article. I know she's upset but really show some class when writing stuff like this.

I've never been to a school where I was the bottom 10-20%. I'll be honest, anyone who is reading this and truly cares about their futures is willing to put in that effort and won't be the 10-20% who don't match.

Is it bad? yes. Is it devastating? no.

no one intends to be the bottom 10-20%

I don't know exactly how competitive those schools are, but I'm assuming all the students were top college students

you never know what will happen in life.... I know a few AMGs that had cancer and what-not strike during med school, affecting grades and having to take LOAs... all which create red flags they never intended, making the match more difficult. Should that happen as an IMG, well, I use the word devastating because as my earlier post mentioned, not matching can mean not only the end of a clinical career forever before it starts, but also being crushed with debt and poor job propects.

whether that's merely bad vs devastating from one person to the next I do not know

I fully intended to get top grades in med school, and it just didn't happen. I was an above average college student and an average med student. That's life. Nothing can really prepare you for med school it's a totally different ball field. And every person is selected for being an academic badass, and then the curriculum and tests such as USMLE and school exams are purposefully designed to take the top 1% they've recruited and *create* a spread, a bell curve distribution amongst you.

sure, maybe it won't happen to you. it will happen to someone, 10-20% to be exact.

if I handed you a revolver with a bullet in it to play Russian roulette I'm betting you wouldn't play. that's what people are doing with their financial futures when they go Carribbean. If I went Carribbean I would make my app attractive to apply for FM, path, and psych simultaneously to whatever I truly wanted to do, as well as build a resume that might allow me non-clinical pathways more easily. I would want both bench research skills (knowing how to work a centrifuge, purify DNA, and run electrophoresis all good skills to have!) and clinical trial experience.

Reactions: 1 users
no one intends to be the bottom 10-20%

I don't know exactly how competitive those schools are, but I'm assuming all the students were top college students

you never know what will happen in life.... I know a few AMGs that had cancer and what-not strike during med school, affecting grades and having to take LOAs... all which create red flags they never intended, making the match more difficult. Should that happen as an IMG, well, I use the word devastating because as my earlier post mentioned, not matching can mean not only the end of a clinical career forever before it starts, but also being crushed with debt and poor job propects.

whether that's merely bad vs devastating from one person to the next I do not know

I fully intended to get top grades in med school, and it just didn't happen. I was an above average college student and an average med student. That's life. Nothing can really prepare you for med school it's a totally different ball field. And every person is selected for being an academic badass, and then the curriculum and tests such as USMLE and school exams are purposefully designed to take the top 1% they've recruited and *create* a spread, a bell curve distribution amongst you.

sure, maybe it won't happen to you. it will happen to someone, 10-20% to be exact.

if I handed you a revolver with a bullet in it to play Russian roulette I'm betting you wouldn't play. that's what people are doing with their financial futures when they go Carribbean. If I went Carribbean I would make my app attractive to apply for FM, path, and psych simultaneously to whatever I truly wanted to do, as well as build a resume that might allow me non-clinical pathways more easily. I would want both bench research skills (knowing how to work a centrifuge, purify DNA, and run electrophoresis all good skills to have!) and clinical trial experience.

Its different with Ireland, its just a lot of false narrative, if you look at the stats most people match! Its as simple as that i'd be happy with 80% match rate.

And the truth is not everyone is and was a top student in their college before going abroad. There are plenty of people who didn't do so hot, go abroad and continue not doing so great, but these people probably weren't on SDN.