Irish 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldfish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the last major irish thread ("anyone hear from ireland?") was for 2002 applicants that got accepted in sept and was getting a little too long (25 pgs since march!!!) i thought i'd start a thread for those going thru the 2003 intake.

i've just got some news from the irish med school consortium thingy. they sent word about interviewing me in march. specifically ppl from trinity since that was my 1st choice in the application form. i think the iview process is to screen my english proficiency as well. me is from non inglish speeeking country :D . according to my edu counselor if they think i'm proficient enough they'll waive the english requirements.

so anyone else got news from ireland?

Members don't see this ad.

i was wondering if anyone knew the current costs of studying in ireland? the last thread quoted costs that were for 2000-2001 how bout now?

Hey Goldfish - where are you from? I didn't think any of the Irish med schools interviewed international students. Are you being interviewed in Trinity or abroad? I thought they only interviewed EU students not applying with a school-leaving qualification.

As for the cost of living there's some info here:
http://www.ucc.ie/iumc/iumc-insert-0203.htm

Rent in Dublin will be at least 5,000 euros if not more. There is limited accomm on campus in Trinity which is a good bit cheaper - this years rates can be found here:
http://www.tcd.ie/Accommodation/camrate.htm

Best of luck with the interview :)

Members don't see this ad :)
MERRY CHRISTMAS TRIN (wouldya come to chat and tell me if you've got AIM).

That's odd that Trinity would interview, because they haven't done so in the past. The only one I'm aware of that interviews is RCSI, and you'd have to go to the East Coast to interview with them. However, that's not to say that they wouldn't change things - seems the system is in the process of changing.

Tuition for 2002-2003 was around 18,000 euros. I'll try to find the exact figure. However, this may not be indicative of next year if the government proposal to increase third level fees actually does go through (mass student protests have happened, so I don't know the outcome of the situation). International students pay full fees, Irish pay far far less.

Rent: My rent is considerably higher than 5000 per year, but admittedly I'm living in a really nice place and only share the flat with one other person. Living expenses in Dublin are pretty high, but you should be able to find some place decent and cheaper if you know where to search and you get lucky. The best would be to try to get rooms on campus for your first year, and then you can familiarize yourself with the city and good places to live for the following year.

Happy holidays :)

FYI......

Tuition at Trinity this year was 20,500 Euros which is just under 38,000 Canadian Dollars.
The rumor is that it will be 22 thousand Euro next year (2003-2004).

My rent this year is 1100 Euro/month in relatively nice 2 bedroom flat in the heart of city centre.

Merry christmas and happy new year to all.

i'm from malaysia. maybe the interview is specifically for countries that are non english speaking so that they can judge how well the applicant can express themselves in english verbally or they could really be changing the process. just speculation. maybe other ppl planning to go to ireland can say something about this? have u got any iview requests?
and they r coming to malaysia to do the iview.

dang looks like living costs r gonna be a real killer if i do study there. i may be better off doing a twinning program rather than the full 6 there but that'll limit me to UCD and RCSI.

staying on campus 1st sounds like a good idea.

Hey guys :)

Umm, as far as the interviewing stuff goes, AB told me that I should only expect RCSI to interview b/f making a decision --- and I've applied this year, so I'm assuming that if the other schools are changing their policy that it hasn't taken effect yet. RCSI people will apparently come over to like NYC or Boston to chat with you (whether you're Cdn or American I think...), so no transatlantic journeys necessary. Just what I have gleaned thru my research so far...

Plus I guess it seems reasonable that students from non-English countries would be interviewed for language assessment purposes, so maybe that's all that's going on -- anyway, good luck goldfish! you'll do great :)

Cheers to all, and hope you're having happy holidays!!

got an invite via email this morning to interview for rcsi in boston in early feb. anyone have any advise? ie what to expect?

who applied to trinity besides meese?
bridgie? goldfish? jmd? anyone else?

Hey, congrats Bridgie! So excited for you!!

I haven't gone thru the interviewing stuff yet, so probably won't be of any help in terms of tips etc., but I'm sure you'll do great.

Just wondering - did you apply through Atlantic Bridge, or directly to RCSI?

THanks! dont really know what to expect. atlantic bridge and, lola, i applied to rcsi, trinity and ucd.

:eek: got an email this aft from RCSI too!!! dear god.....

Well, it now seems that you and I are in the same boat Bridgie -- which interview day are you going to pick? I will have to do some research in the next few days about what to expect...if I turn up anything useful, I will definitely pass it along.

Cheers

Congrats! I am going Sun afternoon in Boston. The Atlantic Bridge guy said it would be 1/2 hour to 45 min 'get to know you' session with 2 profs, the dean of the school and the chair of the ad comm. He said we have made the final round and this was a session to check your comm skills, motivation for medicine and gererally how you handle yourself. Should be a breeze (fingers crossed).

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on RCSI interviews, folks.

I just want to say something so that you know a little bit more about RCSI before choosing a school blindly.

Keep in mind that RCSI is ONLY a medical school. Trinity, UCD, UCC are regular universities with med schools incorporated into them, which means they're bigger colleges with the opportunity to meet a more diverse population. While you do become close with your class, there's a chance to meet irish and international students in courses different from yours, and a lot more events happening at any particular time. RCSI doesn't have this - every person is a med student or health science student (I think they have a vet program and have just incorporated a physiotherapy program).

Also, RCSI is very much comprised of international students (from US, Africa, Australia, Middle East and quite a few from Asia - Malaysia, China, Singapore, etc.) who have all been "geared" for being doctors. Very few Irish ... which is sort of odd considering that the school is IN Ireland.

I'm not trying to be negative or impose a bad view of RCSI - their education and facilities are very good - just wanted to let people know kind of the differences so they can choose a school that's right for them.

Thanks for the comments! It is an improtant perspective. Personally, I have to do alot more research before making a decision so any info is appreciated.

Congratulations Meese and Bridgie. I hope your interviews go well.

I spent the five best years of my life at RCSI. I loved every moment of it. You can't beat the quality of the education, the facilities are excellent and living in Dublin was the most rewarding and unforgettable experience. Five years after graduation I still miss living there. I made life-long friends with people all over the world while I was there and I gained an international perspective which I find my American-trained colleagues do not enjoy. Oh that we on this side of the pond could enjoy life as the Irish do! They can study medicine and have a ball at the same time.

Now, that is not to say that they take their studies lightly. The course is very taxing, the competition is intense and you have to work your buns off. However, you can work hard AND have a good time while you're enrolled at RCSI....or at any of the Irish medical schools for that matter.

You will find that the Irish are very warm, friendly, fun people and the quality of life in Dublin is unsurpassed. RCSI's medical school is, indeed, smaller than the major universities but I found this to be a tremendous advantage to me. There was more one-on-one contact with faculty members and I was able to interact on a personal, daily basis with students from all over the world....something that you would not be able to do in an American or a Canadian medical school. Pretty much everyone in my class was on head-nodding, if not on first name terms. That was a particularly endearing aspect of the school when I first arrived there. Furthermore, it was not uncommon for students to stop by staff members' offices "just to say hello" or to "have a chat and a cup of tea". Now, where else would that happen except in Ireland?

There is a myriad of different clubs you can join, from rugby to square dancing, and the social life is great. If you want to socialize with students who are not studying medicine then there are ample opportunities for you to do so. There are four major colleges in Dublin so the pubs are full of them! There is a friendly rivalry between all of the Dublin colleges and tremendous enjoyment and laughter is derived from the ongoing rivalry between their respective students.

If you are lucky enough to be accepted this year make sure that you do some traveling while you are in Ireland. You will get generous breaks from your studies at Christmas, Easter and during the summer during your first two years so take the time to get out and see Europe. Travel is cheap for students over there and you will find that groups of your classmates will band together, don back packs and trapse all over Europe together during the school breaks. I have visited every one of the EU countries because I went to Ireland to study medicine. That's what I call LIFE EXPERIENCE. Now that I'm a physician I will never have the time to do that again.

Best of luck with the interviews.

Des

Leorl,
What's the word on the tuition increase? Please keep us posted. For me this could be a BIG factor in deciding on Ireland. I would not want to end up over there only to find that I totally can't afford it after a year or two.

As of yet, no further news so tuition looks roughly the same as this year's. I'll keep you posted if anything changes. It is a good bit of money, but it's still cheaper than a lot of US schools, so we all have to try to make ends meet either way. Unless you go to RCSI...then it's loads more, although still about the same price as a good private US med school.

Thanks for the input guys --- it's much appreciated. i still have to do quite a bit of research about the strengths and weaknesses of each of the irish schools, but it's nice to have some different opinions. i'm just so psyched right now about the interview!

p.s. Bridgie, sunday was all full when i called, so i'm doing mine monday afternoon. good luck with all the prep, i hope you do great!

Marisa

Thanks. I have no info on how to prep though so my plan is just to go to a concert the night before. ;) If you have any better ideas, please share.

On interviewfeedback.com there's a few entries with info on people's experiences with the RCSI interviews (it's listed under "Any Other Schools" so you have to do a bit of browsing to get the RCSI ones!). Might be worth looking at them as an indicator of what to expect...

Hmm...it seems interviewfeedback.com doesn't work anymore but all the interview feedback is now on http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/

Help me here. People have second round interviews for RCSI now?! The e-mail sent to me said that they would not start until about June? I called the ABP and was told that applicants were just now being reviewed. What gives? :confused:

i don't think they are second round interviews...

No, they're just first round. The people at AB said the interview is near the end of RCSI's process though, and that we should have a response within a month of sitting it.
Beyond that I have no idea how their admissions work -- if they do only one set of NA interviews or if they do two or three over the span of few months. I suspect it could be the latter if AB told you it can take until June to find out, so never fear!

Cheers

Meese and Bridgie, congrats on your interviews! I have one as well on Feb. 13 in SF. I am nervous because this will be my first medschool interview. Do you know if there's going to be a second round, or is this the last cut? Where are your interviews?

Congrats to you too! I'm sitting mine in Boston (and I think Bridgie is too...) and am not entirely sure about the whole 'last cut' thing. AB told me that ppl interviewing in Feb would get an accept/reject within one month -- so for us I guess it is the final hurdle.
Not sure if the schools do more than one round of interviewing tho, if that's what you're wondering about.

Anyway, got to get to bed --- early morning shift @ work tomorrow....

Cheers + congrats again :D

Hey! the forums were down for so long that i kinda got out of the habit of checking in -- but i've wanted to ask: Bridgie, Berkeleyboy, how did your RCSI interviews go?

Mine was pretty good; i wasn't really nervous (surprisingly), and i had a really nice talk with Peter before i went in. but i kinda felt like the two interviewers were sort of good-cop/bad-copping me, cuz one was asking all the "do you know what you'd be getting yourself into," "med school is lots of sacrifice," "how will you pay for all this" and the other was all like "we think you have a great application," "how do you manage so many extra-curriculars," la la la. it was kinda funny! but oh well, i felt like i expressed myself well :)

so Bridgie, Berkeleyboy (and anyone else who maybe didn't post that they were going), what were your experiences like?

Cheers and happy spring break to those of you who have it,

Marisa

p.s. if anyone on here feels like they would benefit from knowing what questions RCSI asked, please feel free to pm me or post such a request :)

p.p.s. Boston is really pretty! had never been there before, but was really glad i got the chance.

Hey! Thanks for asking. Yeah I thought it was really pleasant. I am kind of in an interesting position, though, in that I have been accepted to three American med schools, I was accepted to Trinity for undergrad and did not go, I am an Irish/American duel citizen and I lived in Dublin for a while... so they were more about 'why would you choose Irealnd over America?' and started talking to me about my life in Ireland....I think I am a different type of applicant but I found them both very nice. I was probably a little too laid back but I have not had an interview since Nov and my friend was in town so I was just chillin...

I live in Boston so I am glad you liked it. A little like Dublin in some parts....dont' you think? God know there are enough Irish here!

What do you think about Thank you cards?

I forgot to say, I had 7 American interviews and RCSI was the first interview that complimented my CV, academic background, overall accomplishments. Such a different menatlity to America! I have had several American interviews ask,"so tell me your worst grade and why you got it" WTF? and I sit down for RCSI and they are like "outstanding application, you should be congratualted!" if that is anyindication of QOL i would have as an irish student, bring it on.

unless they've changed things since last year, you'll only have one interview. and if they give you an offer, you'll have two weeks (or some similiarly short time period) to accept or decline the offer. if you accept, it's a pretty hefty non-refundable deposit (three or four thousand bucks? can't remember exactly). so be prepared to make the decision!

i'm not exactly sure about the june interviews, i think they're either for the six year program, or if they still have spots from the first round.

good luck!

Hi All! This is Berkeleyboy, although I should actually be Berkeleygirl, because I'm signed in as my brother's name. Berkeleyboy (my brother) just started his first term this past January at St. George's.
I just had the RCSI interview last Thursday...I agree with Bridgie/Meese that it was a pleasant experience...very chill and relaxing for sure, kind of comedic at times too...I love those Irish accents but man they speak mighty quickly! They really just asked "getting to know you" questions and of course the "do you know what you're getting into" stuff. I was nervous at first too, but after a few minutes I was quite at ease.
AB people say that there is a 2nd round of interviews...I'm not sure if this is for us 5 year students or if it's only for the 6 year kids.
Dude RCSI tuition is hella steep...but it's nice because they have connections with a few hospitals in the US for us to do our clinical electives...does anyone know if UCD or Trinity or Cork has these US affiliations? It seems that UCD does not "spoonfeed" us into these programs that will ease our establishing a US residency...but I don't have much info yet on this.
What happens if we hear from RCSI before we hear from other Ireland schools? It seems that the two weeks notice time to accept will be a hard decision if we don't know our status with the other schools. Anyone else foresee this dilemma, any thoughts?

Question for those of you applying Irish...

Understanding the admission to med school is a very subjective process based on many factors... I was wondering if any of you would know (or give me a general idea) what type of mcat scores would be considered competitive? I have 10's in all subjects and an R on the writing, was just curious how this would be viewed.

thanks in advance

Hi Meese, Bridgie, just found out today that I got into RCSI :clap:

I'd have to say, it took a lot of prayers to get here.

Wow.....I'm really happy.

I sincerely hope that Meese and Bridgie hear good news too.

And a note to Mr. Z = you definitely have competitive MCAT scores, 10's all around, why that's competitive anywhere in the world you want to study. Good job dude.

Does anyone know the pros of going to RCSI over let's say UCD?

The things I can think of are RSCI's affiliated US schools to do our clinical electives, and the 100% US residency match....is this statistic true for all schools under AB?

Congrats, berkelyboy/girl :)

Mr. Z, that's decent enough :). Just like in the US, you'd be competing with people who got slightly higher or lower scores, so yours sits in the middle. Also, some people haven't even taken the MCAT, so no worries. They don't really look at scores so much, as wanting applicants with a diverse array of experiences.

Don't let connections with schools be too much of an influence, because while there may not be formal connections, the name of UCD and Trinity and probably UCC too will get you a decent residency spot if you have the scores and cv. RCSI might provide a connection, but tons of North Americans from UCD and TCD arrange their own electives, no problem. I'm not sure what connections UCD has, but I think Trinity has one with Columbia. But I know UCD grads have gone on to places in Boston, so I'm sure getting a Boston elective isn't a problem either.

I think the statistic is general to AB, keeping in mind that not all students choose to go through the match. Some are Canadians who do Canadian boards or choose to remain in Ireland and do their internship here. Also, some land programs outside the Match, although this option may be cut down in the future. So that would decrease the pool of students from which AB takes that statistic.

Cons of RCSI: the cost is a major one. It's nearly $10,000 more expensive than the other schools. Also, it's primarily a med school, meaning every other student there is in health sciences with the same background and aspirations as you, versus a "normal" university. There's very few Irish people, the schools is mainly comprised of internationals (good or bad depending on your viewpoint). The school is rather small, meaning you see the same people 24/7.

Pros of RCSI: Great facilities, progressive teaching modules. Their use of technology is good (i.e. ethernet connection in residence halls for downloading webnotes, powerpoint lectures, etc. The only problem is that it's blocked by firewall). Very close to convenience things like a grocery store (there's a shopping center across from the residence halls).

it all depends what you're looking for. No Irish school really offers any more than another, or better teaching, etc - it's all pretty standard, and they're all looking to change curriculum as appropriate with advancement in medicine. The difference is in atmosphere and location.

yeah - the deposit thing is Definitely an annoyance, but it's their way of trying to grab you, I guess. It's always a problem for people who've been accepted to more than one school, especially if you're trying to time American acceptances with Irish or Aussie acceptances. What I did was kinda stupid - I put down the $3,000 deposit for Trinity by the deadline, still not sure if I was going to go there. So if I'd decided not to go there, I would have wasted $3,000. Fortunately for me, I ended up there :). But pretty much when it comes down to it, you're going to have to make a quick choice. If you're accepted to one before the other, I'd call AB because usually they might have advanced knowledge about these things. But usually you're meant to make a first choice, and if you don't get that first choice, then they notify your of acceptances to other schools. I don't know though, hopefully you'll receive notice all around the same time.

Congrats berkelygirl!

I posted this link in the other Irish thread last year but I'll repost it again as it makes some interesting reading for those of you trying to decide between different med schools in Ireland:

http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/reviewmedsch.htm

The Irish Medical Council (who regulate the medical profession in Ireland) produced this review of all the medical schools in Ireland in 2001 following visits to the various institutions... I'd completely agree with Leorl, the standard of education and future prospects for graduates of any of the Irish med schools are all equally comparable...the big difference is the ethos and atmosphere of the different med schools. Before you commit you should come over and visit...walk around the campuses, talk to current med students etc..

Good luck to you guys still waiting on decisions!!! :)

Thank you very much Leorl and Trinners for the good info. I checked out that website, very informative indeed. I emailed AB to find out if I can get a residency match list from any of the schools. Does anyone know if there's one posted on-line anywhere?
In the meantime, goodluck to everyone else waiting for decisions : ) I love this forum! :D Drinks all around!

Hi Des,

I just got accepted to RCSI...I'm really considering going there, I only applied to Ireland schools. I was wondering, when you come back to the States, do you get to have the MD degree at the end of your name? Because I know that we graduate w/ three degrees, one in medicine, surgery, and obstetrics. Also, do you know where I can get a hold of the US residency match lists from any of the Ireland schools? Where did you do your residency, and in what specialty? I'm pretty convinced of Ireland's excellent medical education, these are just a few of my last questions. I truly appreciate any information you may have. Thank you very much !

The whole MD/MB, BCh, BAO thing has been discussed before and as far as I know when you return to the US, for reasons of simplicity you use MD after your name. I'm sure there are circumstances when for legal reasons you have to declare your proper qualifications etc...

FYI, when you graduate from RCSI you also get LRCP & SI (Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicans & Surgeons in Ireland). It's just a historical qualification now...since 1978 RCSI graduates have also been awarded MB, BCh, BAO from the National University of Ireland as RCSI can't actually award degrees. Just some useless trivia... :)

Pfff, you Irish. You like having gazillions of letters after your names eh? :)

Here's a normal irish graduation diploma: somethingunprounceable mcsomethingelseunpronounceable BMBChBAO, MICSP, IDUNNOHOWMANYDEGREESI'VEGOT

hehe ;). Ah, we love you :).

Anyway, yeah usually Irish grads in North America just use the same MD title, and it's legal. I'm sure if you used BMBChBAO your patients would be like "say what?"

Congrats berkeleyboy/girl!!!! That's awesome! :clap:

hey evey1!

ok i am in a lil of a frenzy ... I NEED HELP...

I am originally an ontario high school graduate with a 92.5 % average,, english brought me down .. without it ,, i would be i would have like 95% average.

I applied to various programs for science in canada,, i got in,, but ended up going... to egypt for medical school...BIG MISTAKE! as i found out later,, now i am looking for a way out,,, i am scared after i finish i'll be looked down on b/c i graduated from the middle east, so i won't get residency and less work opportunities ( I wanna do surgery)

So neways, I applied to the carribean for med school (windsor univ) and was accepted to the premed-MD program.
(2 yrs on the island and 2 years in the states) . I also applied to ireland... RCSI, UDB, and trinity... i applied late.. actually my application was forwarded a cpl of days ago... louis got on my case about the letters of recommendation being confidential... first i asked my references to type the letters and email them to me so i could fedex it to AB... (didnlt want to wait long,, and didn;t want to cost my references anything).. she told me that they were non- confidential,.. so i contacted my references again and asked them to print out the letter of recommendation, sign them , include their contact info and mail them... after a long time, they finally reached her office,, then she said that the letters are no good. because i have seen,, i got fed up,, and told her to just forward the application anyways,, I dunno,,, how the admission comittee's are gonna look at it.... she is saying that i am not willing to follow admission procesudres, and getting all pissy about it.... has anyone ever been thru anything similar? please let me know...

The more important question is I can;t decide whether to study in the caribean (shorter/cheaper ...5000 USD/term) or Ireland (longer/ more respected/ more expensive ) or stay in egypt.. or try my luck in canada.. I have been racking my mind for almost a year and i can;t seem to be able to chooose,,,, ANY INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Are you graduating med school in Egypt? If so, I don't see why you've only been accepted to the pre-med/MD program at Windsor. I don't see why you don't come back to Canada or the US and take some post-bacc classes and get in more of a mainstream path. Also, if you are referring to Louis Keenan, the AB administrator, then Louis is a HE, not a she. Your comments about the recommendation problem seem valid, maybe you could ask other people to write a recommendation for you (which would then be confidential). Plus, you seem you like really need to make a change from Egypt now. Why not just come home, regroup, take some science classes, and then apply to other med schools. Windsor does not have a very good reputation whatsoever in the Caribbean, so I would advise you not to go there, because you might find yourself in the same exact mess that you are in in Egypt. Why not apply to other, more established/reputable schools in the Carib such as St. George's, Ross, or AUC. Or perhaps AUG in Mexico. Windsor doesn't even require organic chemistry to apply, that can't be a good sign. Its only one man's opinion, but I say relax, take a deep breath, examine all of your options, and realize that if you want it bad enough then it will eventually happen...maybe not next year, or even the year after, but at some point you will be a doctor. Good luck.

hi,

i am hopin i won;t have to graduate from egypt.. and u are rite i am really frustrated rite now, because i really feel like time is passing me by and i am not doing anything with it.....

As for the AB process,, i didn;t want to waste any more time,,, i guess i could contact other references and get letters of references,,, but wouldn;t that be too late by then,, that;s my main concern,,, i mean does it really matter whether i have seen the letters of recommendation or not,, i mean obviously the ppl i asked for a reference will not give me a bad recommendation..
neways,,do u think i should contact references and have them send new letters to AB?

I still dunno myself if going overseas is really what i wanna do.. i mean i would stay domestic,, but if I HAVE to go overseas i will.. i didn;t really go into undergraduate work,, so i dunno what university work-load is like (i know it;s tough though).. this is why i am having such a hard time with this decision.... i am soo inexperienced,, yah, i have talked to loads of ppl.... but it;s not the same,,
I also don;t want to waste any more time,,, i am sooo confused....