Is 1/2 portuguese considered other or hispanic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joeybag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone w/ any knowledge on this topic. My mother is 100% Portuguese, actually born in Madeira, a Portuguese island (not sure if that matters). Father is 1/4 greek, 1/4 german, 1/2 irish-basically your stereotypic mutt but "white" by all means. Anyway, was raised bilingually (born and raised in US) though Portuguese gradually faded as parents wanted me to do well in school, so mainly can understand but can't speak much. I don't feel wholly white, though I rarely make this a issue as NC is a rather conservative white region. My mom says she selects other, but I've heard various opinions saying hispanic includes portuguese. Anyone know what category I fall in (ive heard its whatever you choose basically) and/or if schools would take this into consideration.
Thanks for any advice or input.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Hispanic usually refers to people from latin america of spanish and native american decent. What do you hope to accomplish by determining whether you should be classified as hispanic? Do you feel especially connected with the latino community?

I think the general consensus is that if you are of 100% european decent that you would be considered white for any sort of census survey.

According to dictionary.com hispanic refers to one of the following.

1.Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
2.Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.
3. A Spanish-speaking person.
4. A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.

You dont qualify under any of these definitions.

Joeybag said:
Anyone w/ any knowledge on this topic. My mother is 100% Portuguese, actually born in Madeira, a Portuguese island (not sure if that matters). Father is 1/4 greek, 1/4 german, 1/2 irish-basically your stereotypic mutt but "white" by all means. Anyway, was raised bilingually (born and raised in US) though Portuguese gradually faded as parents wanted me to do well in school, so mainly can understand but can't speak much. I don't feel wholly white, though I rarely make this a issue as NC is a rather conservative white region. My mom says she selects other, but I've heard various opinions saying hispanic includes portuguese. Anyone know what category I fall in (ive heard its whatever you choose basically) and/or if schools would take this into consideration.
Thanks for any advice or input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eu acho que voce' nao e' a hispanico, entao escolhe outro quando voce' preenche sua aplicacao. :D

souperman said:
Eu acho que voce' nao e' a hispanico, entao escolhe outro quando voce' preenche sua aplicacao. :D

Obrigado Souperman, I didn't mean to step on anyone elses toes in terms claiming hispanic, but I have heard that from some fairly reputable sources. My thoughts were the same in that hispanic doens't include spain itself and therefore would not include portugal. So no I dont feel connected to latino culture and that is not my attempt, so Im not trying to claim anything I am not, but rather get things correct.