Dental schools asking about other interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrinGenius

Reaction score
Why do dental schools ask about your other interviews and which schools you applied to. Would you recommend listing all other interviews if they ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do dental schools ask about your other interviews and which schools you applied to. Would you recommend listing all other interviews if they ask?
While I have tried for years to discourage my faculty from asking this question, many faculty ask for curiosity or to gauge your genuine interest in the school.

Remember that dentistry is a really small world, and most faculty know peers at other dental schools who work within their specialty. The faculty won't chat to their peers at the other school (though I can't control anything if they do), but they want to get a sense if you consider their school a "safety" or as a "target."

For the most part I would stay with general terms that you have received other invitations to interview, but you don't want to jinx your chances. It would be like saying the "name that should not be mentioned." :)

If you're really smart with your school choice strategy, you can pivot the conversation to a "why our school?" answer: while you have other interviews at some top notch schools, I really want to attend (your) school because... . Rather than focus on other schools, keep the spotlight on the place where you are.

It would be going out on a date and telling the other person about all the other people you've gone out with or will go out with. Focus on the person (school) you are with... even if that last date was a hottie.

Reactions: 1 users
While I have tried for years to discourage my faculty from asking this question, many faculty ask for curiosity or to gauge your genuine interest in the school.

Remember that dentistry is a really small world, and most faculty know peers at other dental schools who work within their specialty. The faculty won't chat to their peers at the other school (though I can't control anything if they do), but they want to get a sense if you consider their school a "safety" or as a "target."

For the most part I would stay with general terms that you have received other invitations to interview, but you don't want to jinx your chances. It would be like saying the "name that should not be mentioned." :)

If you're really smart with your school choice strategy, you can pivot the conversation to a "why our school?" answer: while you have other interviews at some top notch schools, I really want to attend (your) school because... . Rather than focus on other schools, keep the spotlight on the place where you are.

It would be going out on a date and telling the other person about all the other people you've gone out with or will go out with. Focus on the person (school) you are with... even if that last date was a hottie.
This is great advice and I really appreciate your answer, especially the humor! This is great strategy and what I thought the reason behind the question. What about when they send you an additional post-interview questionnaire that has the exact same question asking what other schools you have interviews at?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is great advice and I really appreciate your answer, especially the humor! This is great strategy and what I thought the reason behind the question. What about when they send you an additional post-interview questionnaire that has the exact same question asking what other schools you have interviews at?
It's a trap. Unless you want to use the space as a LOI declaration, it's okay to leave us guessing or feeling like we are your top choice.

It's a trap. Unless you want to use the space as a LOI declaration, it's okay to leave us guessing or feeling like we are your top choice.
So if I have multiple other interviews and they ask that question in the form, is it okay to say prefer not to share or should I just list a few schools?

So if I have multiple other interviews and they ask that question in the form, is it okay to say prefer not to share or should I just list a few schools?
You should say that you would prefer not to disclose any schools where you may have already received interviews. (Otherwise you'd fret if you had to update this answer if you got more II's after you submitted.)

Faculty don't disclose to their peers if they are interviewing for dental school dean positions unless they wind up making it to the final round (by public law) or wind up getting the job. It's professional to not disclose this information if you don't want to.

It’s annoying, but it’s a way for schools to gauge how serious you are about their school. Would recommend treading lightly and try to address it using some tips given above

Reactions: 1 users
I was told it depends on the school that’s asking. The school I’m attending asked how many schools I applied to and I told them 13, but they wanted to know how serious I was about actually going to dental school. However, I did send a letter of intent setting I was committed to attending their school and that it’s my number one choice.

You should say that you would prefer not to disclose any schools where you may have already received interviews. (Otherwise you'd fret if you had to update this answer if you got more II's after you submitted.)

Faculty don't disclose to their peers if they are interviewing for dental school dean positions unless they wind up making it to the final round (by public law) or wind up getting the job. It's professional to not disclose this information if you don't want to.
Can you perhaps explain the interview invite order process? Some people that applied later than me with the same or less competitive stats have gotten interviews at schools while I haven't. My extracurriculars are not bad either so I'm confused on the order. For example, someone got verified and a week later they got an interview invite, while I who applied earlier didn't. It doesn't really make sense that they got to his application in under a week unless they used a filter of some sort.

Read "staircase analogy" from LizzyM

Mission fit is just as important as your stats, so it could be the impression your profile leaves with those screening your application. This is not a logical or meritocratic process.

Last edited:
Can you perhaps explain the interview invite order process? Some people that applied later than me with the same or less competitive stats have gotten interviews at schools while I haven't. My extracurriculars are not bad either so I'm confused on the order. For example, someone got verified and a week later they got an interview invite, while I who applied earlier didn't. It doesn't really make sense that they got to his application in under a week unless they used a filter of some sort.
You gotta try to stop comparing yourself to others. It will eat you alive. Focus on you, if you have to get off SDN I would suggest you try. It can be frustrating feeling like you did something wrong or maybe there’s something in your app preventing you from getting interviews, but your app is fine. Admissions can be weird for what they look for. It’s not all about stats, but it certainly does help.

Take a deep breath, it’s only august. There’s still time.

Reactions: 3 users
trust the process...

Tell them Harvard and Columbia. It can either work really well for you because the interviewer may see you as a hot commodity. or shoot yourself in the foot if it’s an “average school,” like why are you interviewing here?