Is 10 interviews enough? Getting exhausted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiltonty997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the charting outcomes and it seems like 9 or 10 should be okay. I'm really just getting very tired of interviewing, it's pretty draining.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, totally enough. Feel free to PM me a list of any and all interviews you are canceling. ;)

Probably. There are horror stories from the most competitive years a few years ago, but these days it is a little less so.

That said, it depends on your credentials and what kind of programs you have been interviewing at.

A star applicant with high step scores and grades? you can stop. Average applicant from an below average medical school? different story
A mix of reach and achievable? 10 is enough. All Cali? Keep going.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The program director at my school said 9 is the magic number. At least historically. Now that Radiology has fallen out of favor, that should be enough.

Actually let me elaborate. He said that studies have been done and after 9 interviews there are diminishing returns. Meaning that if you are going to match, you are ~95% likely to match with that many, and if you are not going to match, there are fewer and fewer chances of you actually matching past a rank list of 9.

If you are interviewing at "top programs" I would think about going for at least 12 IMO.

This thread is depressing to me.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are interviewing at "top programs" I would think about going for at least 12 IMO.

Well, I'm getting nervous then.... I don't think I am interviewing at enough places now. I definitely wont interview at 12 "top programs" I seriously hope I match within my top 5.

SDN neurosis strikes again.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Is this for real? too draining?? dont be such a pus*y

Reactions: 2 users
It gets really tiring this time of year, but it would be even more tiring to have to repeat the process next year. I'd go on as many as possible, you'll have time to rest after you submit your rank list :)

DAmn. senior year must be stressful. What if I don't match??? Right now I haven't done anything to prepare for interviews because I am only starting to figure out that radiology is for me:eek:

DAmn. senior year must be stressful. What if I don't match??? Right now I haven't done anything to prepare for interviews because I am only starting to figure out that radiology is for me:eek:

Senior year was/is the least stressful thing ever. Other than submitting that rank list and then waiting at the mercy of the 'algorithm' somewhere out on cyber space

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Is it pretty much necessary to have some research in order to get into a Rads residency?

Is it pretty much necessary to have some research in order to get into a Rads residency?

In general, no, not at all.

It helps but >50% of people from my school who match into rads don't have substantial research.

For top-tier programs, it helps more and may be 'required' if your step 1 score is lower than the average for that program.

In general, no, not at all.

It helps but >50% of people from my school who match into rads don't have substantial research.

For top-tier programs, it helps more and may be 'required' if your step 1 score is lower than the average for that program.

Okay great, thank you. I don't have any research at all throughout medical school so I was just wondering if it would be a waste of time to even try without it.