is $200 the new minimum in psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For these 2-220 an hour locums positions within these large metros, can you reasonably find enough hours to cover 40-50 hours a week 10-11 months a year?

For these 2-220 an hour locums positions within these large metros, can you reasonably find enough hours to cover 40-50 hours a week 10-11 months a year?
Yes.
mslprsctice is almost always included. The higher the pay the less likely travel expenses etc would be reimbursed since that’s taken into account but always good to ask and negotiate what you can

Yes.
mslprsctice is almost always included. The higher the pay the less likely travel expenses etc would be reimbursed since that’s taken into account but always good to ask and negotiate what you can

Wow, that's great to hear. I imagined you'd either have to drive 45+ min outside a big city to find these kind of rates or only be able to find spotty, inconsistent work.

Here is an idea for all you "what is the salary" question people... Respond to the job ad's and find out. In three days here is what I found

3 Jobs in California-->hourly wages 185, 200, 195
1 Job in South Dakota-->hourly wage $260
1 Job in Wyoming--->hourly wage $290
1 Job in Michigan---> Hourly wage $210
1 Job in Denver--->hourly wage 190

As you can see there is quite a spectrum. These are all locums gigs.

If you are a real trooper there is a gig waaay up in rural AK that pays something obscene ~700k/year. Special training in bear induced PTSD required.
Should have never chanced my applications to anesthesia.

I am doing $220/hr at an FQHC in Houston. I work one day a week. There are more openings, either PT or FT. Currently providing telepsychiatry. PM me if anyone is interested.

Can that telepsych job be done from out of state, or do you have to go to a local call center?

Can that telepsych job be done from out of state, or do you have to go to a local call center?

I think they have a preference for those in the area. Pre-covid it was in-person and ? "post-covid" it will be in-person. Many of the patients have HIV and other high-risk medical conditions so remote care is very obviously the better option. PM me for more.

Reactions: 1 user
Moonlighting standard (ER shifts, inpt coverage) in Boston are $200 minimum. We tend to tell friends "if they ain't paying you 200 then walk"
Is this external moonlighting? I don't think any of our internal jobs paid that much (except maybe in an "ideal" circumstance.)
Interesting! I heard Boston is a low-paying market, but things must be different for moonlighting rates?
This number is actually 1-2 years out of date. Friends who are starting at BWH and BI as newly minted attendings next year are 200-210k. Even academia is now bumping up to 200k to stay competitive.
Surprising, I don't think I've heard similarly. Are those folks doing 100% clinical roles?

Yes.

Does this typically include tail coverage or does it vary a lot.

Does this typically include tail coverage or does it vary a lot.
If it is a locum position from a locum company.... Than yes it should and must include tail. I got a job lined up this summer for 210 currently in the credentialing process. The jobs are out there... You just have to be willing to travel.

Reactions: 1 users
I am doing $220/hr at an FQHC in Houston. I work one day a week. There are more openings, either PT or FT. Currently providing telepsychiatry. PM me if anyone is interested.

How's market in Houston and other major cities in Texas? Still space for PP?
Tired of the high taxes and high COL in California...

If it is a locum position from a locum company.... Than yes it should and must include tail. I got a job lined up this summer for 210 currently in the credentialing process. The jobs are out there... You just have to be willing to travel.

Just curious, how long does the credentialing process take?

I live in the north east and I keep hearing that $200 is the going rate here. I see some people posting rates as $250 up to $290 per hour in the midwest! I want to know what is the trend now days?

if you're reading postings you're already filtering for the low hanging fruit

decent inpatient gigs not posted and you're minimum goes up considerably

Last edited:
How's market in Houston and other major cities in Texas? Still space for PP?
Tired of the high taxes and high COL in California...

This is very easy a transition for psychiatrists (as opposed to say for tech people who might have to face a substantially lower salary when they move). The more relevant question is how would you like to work (i.e. locum, facility, set up a practice, in person or tele, VA/academic/govt vs. private facility, inpatient vs. outpatient, general vs. specialty, a combination thereof, etc).

Reactions: 1 user