Is a 3.1 gpa always a 3.1 gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisj1982

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cumulative is a 3.1. My science GPA is about .4 points higher, not really concerned about that.

What I'm wondering is, are all gpa's considered equal, upward trends notwithstanding. The reason for my low GPA was the result of doing poorly in several of my very basic freshman and sophmore classes - I received a D in health 101, for example. Additionally, these classes were taken over a decade ago.

I eventually got my act together during junior year and experienced a nice upward trend. I recently went back to school to take my pre-reqs and have earned mostly A's and a few B's in these classes.

Over my last 60 credit hours my cumulative is something like a 3.7.

Yes, I still have a 3.1 cumulative, but do you feel schools will overlook this, considering how long ago my poor performance was, and the fact I've done so well in much harder classes since?

Members don't see this ad.

Still a 3.1. Better than a straight B student, but still a 3.1. cGPA is still most important.

I remember some poster on here talking about a few schools looking at your last 60-90 credit hours..I think they referenced a few MD and DO programs. Has anyone else heard of this?

Members don't see this ad :)
We do like upward trends, but you still need something that can get our attention, like a really good MCAT score, or an outstanding story. The problem is that there are just hordes of guys/gals with 3.1 GPAs.

If you can land an interview, you're probably in.

My cumulative is a 3.1. My science GPA is about .4 points higher, not really concerned about that.

What I'm wondering is, are all gpa's considered equal, upward trends notwithstanding. The reason for my low GPA was the result of doing poorly in several of my very basic freshman and sophmore classes - I received a D in health 101, for example. Additionally, these classes were taken over a decade ago.

I eventually got my act together during junior year and experienced a nice upward trend. I recently went back to school to take my pre-reqs and have earned mostly A's and a few B's in these classes.

Over my last 60 credit hours my cumulative is something like a 3.7.

Yes, I still have a 3.1 cumulative, but do you feel schools will overlook this, considering how long ago my poor performance was, and the fact I've done so well in much harder classes since?

Yup! Keep in mind that with a 3.1, you'll probably get lots of interviews too. So what if you don't get into DMU or CCOM?!

3.1 cGPA got me a DMU interview! Although I had other redeeming factors

3.1 cGPA got me a DMU interview! Although I had other redeeming factors

As someone with a 3.1, strong MCAT/ER tech...thank you for singing the song of my people

Yup! Keep in mind that with a 3.1, you'll probably get lots of interviews too. So what if you don't get into DMU or CCOM?!

I graduated towards the top of my class from Stanford law....what, if any, perceived impact will this have on medical school adcomm's?

I graduated towards the top of my class from Stanford law....what, if any, perceived impact will this have on medical school adcomm's?

Provided you're not trolling....

There will be questions regarding your switch to medicine.

Provided you're not trolling....

There will be questions regarding your switch to medicine.

No, I'm not trolling; this is reality.

Of course there will be questions, but I'm wondering if this EC is enough to make up for my 3.1 cGPA.

On a side note, will referencing my LSAT (top .2%) score do me any good with medical adcomm's?

No, I'm not trolling; this is reality.

Of course there will be questions, but I'm wondering if this EC is enough to make up for my 3.1 cGPA.

On a side note, will referencing my LSAT (top .2%) score do me any good with medical adcomm's?

How'd you get into Stanford Law with a 3.1?

I doubt it'll matter. Now, if your MCAT is top .2% (44-45), that would matter.

Last edited:
As someone familiar with the law school app cycle, there is a less than 1% chance you got into Stanford law with a 3.1 cum gpa.

I have a little higher GPA (3.28) cumulative and a science of 3.0 with a current MCAT of 27... I have a lot of medical experience as a paramedic and I'm wondering if I have a shot. I am retaking the MCAT this fall to boost my score. What are my chances? How does the previous medical background play into the whole bit? And is GPA typically less important with my 5 years of medical experience?

I have a little higher GPA (3.28) cumulative and a science of 3.0 with a current MCAT of 27... I have a lot of medical experience as a paramedic and I'm wondering if I have a shot. I am retaking the MCAT this fall to boost my score. What are my chances? How does the previous medical background play into the whole bit? And is GPA typically less important with my 5 years of medical experience?

No, GPA is always most important along with MCAT. Those stats are a bit low for MD. Consider DO as well. AAMC says there is a 24.7% chance of being accepted to MD with your GPA/MCAT. Search function is your friend.

Zero credibility. The median GPA for Stanford law is 3.85. And yeah, the OP reads like from a top Stanford law grad.

So last year you said you had a 3.8x in political science. Where is the 3.1 coming from? Is this the prereq courses you've been taking since you decided to change careers?

So last year you said you had a 3.8x in political science. Where is the 3.1 coming from? Is this the prereq courses you've been taking since you decided to change careers?

I think we all know the answer.. :cool:

Underdog GPA for DO, and yes GPA and MCAT are always most important, but with your ECs and if you interview well you might have a shot if you apply early and broadly (like 20+ DO schools). Your MCAT is not the problem, your sGPA is. I would recommend grade replacement over retaking the MCAT, unless you simply can't afford it. MD is out of the question unless you are a URM with residency in a state with a low-tier state school that has heavy IS bias.