Is a 3.6 post-bacc GPA acceptable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tarheel101

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I'm a pre-med student who graduated from college with a 3.0 GPA. I am currently doing a DIY post bacc in upper level biology courses. I was wondering what GPA I should be aiming for. Of course, I know I should be aiming for all A's, but what is the minimum GPA I should maintain during the post-bacc? I want to know if I will be in troubled waters if I have a 3.5 or 3.6 GPA.
I do plan on applying after I complete 30 credit hours (so next cycle), and I will plan on completing a one year masters while I complete my first round of medical school applications. Therefore, if I do, for some reason end up with a 3.5 or 3.6 GPA during my post-bacc, I will still have my masters grades to plump up my application.
Thanks in advance!
 
A postbac for the purposes of grade repair should be atleast a 3.7. The average postbac GPA for matriculant DO applicants was 3.7. Keep in mind that not all of those students with postbac were doing it for grade repair, some had a great GPA and just needed the prereqs. If just looking at postbacs from matriculant students that needed grade repair, that postbac GPA is probably a bit higher.

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...riculant-profile-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=10

Also, why are you working towards a masters while applying? I don't see how that would help your chances. Focus on stringing together a few semesters of As, don't worry about a masters unless you are doing a SMP.
 
Thanks for that!
I'm *hope* to do a SMP. My adviser (and I agree with her) believes that since my undergrad GPA is low, I need to do a post-bacc to do GPA repair and the SMP will further solidify that I can handle intense courses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whatever floats your boat. Most of the adcoms on this site say that GPA repair is more about sustaining excellent grades for a significant period of time, rather than the overall GPA you end up with.
 
I will still have my masters grades to plump up my application.
Don't count on this. This is a huge misconception among people applying. Having an advanced degree is not a good metric on which to judge applicants, and the GPA won't factor in to your cGPA or sGPA - it's listed separately. Think of a grad degree as a cool EC and not much more. There's rampant grade inflation in many grad programs and can't be used as a consistent metric, so don't overestimate the "plump up" it will give you.
 
For MD, it's not. Median matriculant has a 3.7 sGPA

About a third of the premed courses are either very fair or down right inflating. 3/5 of the remaining are reasonable. A handful are buttholes. A 3.6 in this kind of environment says what?
 
Hi everyone! I'm a pre-med student who graduated from college with a 3.0 GPA. I am currently doing a DIY post bacc in upper level biology courses. I was wondering what GPA I should be aiming for. Of course, I know I should be aiming for all A's, but what is the minimum GPA I should maintain during the post-bacc? I want to know if I will be in troubled waters if I have a 3.5 or 3.6 GPA.
I do plan on applying after I complete 30 credit hours (so next cycle), and I will plan on completing a one year masters while I complete my first round of medical school applications. Therefore, if I do, for some reason end up with a 3.5 or 3.6 GPA during my post-bacc, I will still have my masters grades to plump up my application.
Thanks in advance!
Maybe for your state MD school, and definite;y for DO schools, but successful SDNers who share with with me thier stories about reinvention for MD schools generally have 3.7+ GPAs form post-bac or SMP.
 
My post bacc GPA is currently 3.9/3.98 over 30+ credits. How many credits does everyone think is necessary for a post-bacc to be considered "sustained" long enough? What if it is spread out over a few years with a class, occasionally two, accompanied by working full time?
 
Thanks for all of the replies everyone, I appreciate it! I am trying for all A's, I just wanted to know at what point will I be in troubled waters if I don't earn straight A's.
Also, I have a similar question to Blitz1817.....how many credit hours is considered enough for post-bacc? I know UNC-CH says to have at least 30 credit hours, and Wayne State recommends 20+ hours.