Is a 3.70 GPA good enough???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NFkappaB

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A student of mine has a dilemma. She is planning on graduating in Winter of this upcoming academic year with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. However, she is comtemplating whether or not its worth it to spend another 12,000$ to delay graduation and take another semester of courses to make her GPA potentially as high as 3.76 cGPA, and 3.63 sGPA. So, what do you all think?? Leave the 3.7 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA as it is and then go do some other ECs to boost her application (she is applying next year) or go get that GPA higher to 3.76/3.63.

She has a 32 MCAT.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

A student of mine has a dilemma. She is planning on graduating in Winter of this upcoming academic year with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. However, she is comtemplating whether or not its worth it to spend another 12,000$ to delay graduation and take another semester of courses to make her GPA potentially as high as 3.76 cGPA, and 3.63 sGPA. So, what do you all think?? Leave the 3.7 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA as it is and then go do some other ECs to boost her application (she is applying next year) or go get that GPA higher to 3.76/3.63.

She has a 32 MCAT.

Thanks.

It's not worth the $12,000. I'd say graduate, and work on the ECs and a higher MCAT. That's probably more valuable at this point if their GPA will not improve significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

She has a 32 MCAT.

Thanks.
3.7??? no way you can get in!! You need AT LEAST a 3.99gpa , 4.0sgpa and 44 mcat. Sorry tell her (you) to drop out now.:smuggrin:

It's not worth the $12,000. I'd say graduate, and work on the ECs and a higher MCAT. That's probably more valuable at this point if their GPA will not improve significantly.

I agree that there is no way she should worry about her gpa. She is already above the average matriculant gpa. As for the advice about a higher mcat, a 32 is a good score. There is no need to go through studying again unless she's dead-set on going to a top 20 school. If she can see herself at anything lower than a top 20 school, her score is fine. As for ECs, definitely tell her to make this a priority along with shadowing, research, leadership, and community service (medical and non-medical). If she applies broadly and gets rejected everywhere, it won't be because of her gpa and mcat, it will be because of the other aspects of her application.

I agree that there is no way she should worry about her gpa. She is already above the average matriculant gpa. As for the advice about a higher mcat, a 32 is a good score. There is no need to go through studying again unless she's dead-set on going to a top 20 school. If she can see herself at anything lower than a top 20 school, her score is fine. As for ECs, definitely tell her to make this a priority along with shadowing, research, leadership, and community service (medical and non-medical). If she applies broadly and gets rejected everywhere, it won't be because of her gpa and mcat, it will be because of the other aspects of her application.
Are you guys acutally answering this dumb question?:confused: Its clearly a troll.

Are you guys acutally answering this dumb question?:confused: Its clearly a troll.

I feel the question is quite reasonable.

Is there a difference between 3.76/3.63 vs a 3.7/3.6, and if YES there is a difference big enough to impact her aplication, is it worth spending 12 grand to stay at her school for another semester?

i feel the question is quite reasonable.

Is there a difference between 3.76/3.63 vs a 3.7/3.6, and if yes there is a difference big enough to impact her aplication, is it worth spending 12 grand to stay at her school for another semester?
no.

I feel the question is quite reasonable.

Is there a difference between 3.76/3.63 vs a 3.7/3.6, and if YES there is a difference big enough to impact her aplication, is it worth spending 12 grand to stay at her school for another semester?
Only way I believe this is a real question is if "your friend" dosnt know anything about medical school admissions and didnt do any research what so ever. I mean how can you go through your entire undergrad and not know what the median cutoff is? If it was a freshman OK I understand but a senior? I thought just about all premeds just about know that a 3.7 is good I mean really?come on... So yeah your a troll or looking for a ego stroke. Join the other "Is my 3.9/45 good enough?" threads...:cool:

Only way I believe this is a real question is if "your friend" dosnt know anything about medical school admissions and didnt do any research what so ever. I mean how can you go through your entire undergrad and not know what the median cutoff is? If it was a freshman OK I understand but a senior? I thought just about all premeds just about know that a 3.7 is good I mean really?come on... So yeah your a troll or looking for a ego stroke. Join the other "Is my 3.9/45 good enough?" threads...:cool:

There are so many neurotic pre-meds out there, so I find this question to be very realistic. There are people who have a 3.9 and wonder whether it's going to hurt them since they got that one A- in orgo 2.

There are so many neurotic pre-meds out there, so I find this question to be very realistic. There are people who have a 3.9 and wonder whether it's going to hurt them since they got that one A- in orgo 2.
3.9 and worried = Bull The only way I believe these questions are when they dont have any or little ec, weak Lor or low mcats or something. But when it a 3.9,42T, solid everything and they post a thread saying how their terrified, I dont buy it.

As long as the above student applies broadly and his/her other parts of application outside of GPA and MCAT are in good condition, she'll get into a medical school.:)

Doctor34583534850345 - you are obviously completely oblivious to the pre-med scene. We are pretty obsessed with grades and question our competency constantly.

Doctor34583534850345 - you are obviously completely oblivious to the pre-med scene. We are pretty obsessed with grades and question our competency constantly.

That's why I never hung out with pre-meds in college and didn't declare myself one until Senior year right before graduation.

not "WE" Im not. If you have a 3.9 and worried about if its too low I personally think your an idoit. I care very much about my grades too but if its that high I would be pretty confident about that area of my app. and would not post on sdn " Is this gpa good enough" knowing dam well its over the 3.6 benchmark..... give me a break

not "WE" Im not. If you have a 3.9 and worried about if its too low I personally think your an idoit. I care very much about my grades too but if its that high I would be pretty confident about that area of my app. and would not post on sdn " Is this gpa good enough" knowing dam well its over the 3.6 benchmark..... give me a break

I agree with you in that all pre-meds aren't like that, because I am not either. The reason I answered the question is because there are so many pre-meds like that and that's just who they are. I'm not gonna be able to change their views to align with mine about grades, so it's easier to just answer the question and move on.

I agree with you in that all pre-meds aren't like that, because I am not either. The reason I answered the question is because there are so many pre-meds like that and that's just who they are. I'm not gonna be able to change their views to align with mine about grades, so it's easier to just answer the question and move on.
:thumbup: I agree you right. Idk I just really got that "troll vibe" from this one. :rolleyes:

Seriously?

Hi all,

She has a 32 MCAT.

Thanks.