Is a 3.75+ gpa acceptable for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypertrophy95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman in college and after my first semester I've accumulated a gpa of 3.94; I have 20 credits. This semester I am taking general chemistry 2 calculus 1 english and some boring elective. So far I am off to a not so good start. My question is if I get a B+ here or there can I still get into medical school? Like if I get a 3.75 GPA a 32+ on the MCAT become a lisenced EMT and Volunteer at a hospital what are my chances like? :( thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had below a 3.5 GPA and I still got accepted to medical school.
Yes, it was an MD school.
You haven't even finished your first year of college yet - it is very premature to begin panicking.
Ride this train out for the next few years. Your GPA could fall drastically in the next few years. Conversely, you could potentially annihilate your MCAT. There are too many variables at this point that there is no sense in contemplating the likelihood of being accepted to medical school yet. That being said, you look like you're off to a good start. Keep it up!

Stay thirsty my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You for the hopeful responses. Is it okay that I attend a 4 year cuny school? Like instead of a state university of new york it's a city university. That's not looked down upon is it?

I'm a freshman in college and after my first semester I've accumulated a gpa of 3.94; I have 20 credits. This semester I am taking general chemistry 2 calculus 1 english and some boring elective. So far I am off to a not so good start. My question is if I get a B+ here or there can I still get into medical school? Like if I get a 3.75 GPA a 32+ on the MCAT become a lisenced EMT and Volunteer at a hospital what are my chances like? :( thanks.
Good. Your chances would be good. Breathe, and just keep the GPA as high as you can.

Consider D.O. or go Caribbean. :rolleyes:

And to answer your question seriously, the average MD matriculant's GPA is a bit above a 3.6.

You have no chance, sorry. Don't even apply. You should think about nursing school instead.

:bang:

Reactions: 1 users
And OP, if you aren't trolling, RELAX and BREATHE. Work hard, but don't stress. Stress is counterproductive and will actually hurt your performance.

Edited: If you have any difficulties with a course, feel free to PM me and I'll help.

To be perfectly frank, as someone who attended college up in the mountains of central new york, you will have vastly more opportunities to build a competitive medical school application if you attend CUNY and base yourself in NYC. You have a wealth of hospitals you can volunteer at, countless research institutions consistently ranked among the worlds greatest centers of innovation, an abundance of diversity to immerse yourself in and get out of that comfort zone (which medical schools love to see in an applicant.)

Also, @Oso seems alright. Listen to anything they have to say.

SDN is a strange zoo where animals speak wisdom.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love when people just take their scoring a 32+ on the MCAT as a given. I actually delighted in hearing such premeds at my school wailing and heartbroken at their mid-20s scores. It seemed a fitting outcome for arrogance.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't blame him for asking this question when obnoxious McGunners are asking "What are my chances?" with a 3.95 cGPA and 38 MCAT. You know who you are...

Reactions: 3 users
Check out my MDApps, that is very close to my stats (33 MCAT, 3.75 GPA). Got a B- in French (oh la la). Admitted to my IS schools, but also interviewed at Vanderbilt and Mayo Clinic and had a total of 6 interview invites. Apply broadly, and especially at your IS schools. Best of luck

Come back when you're a a senior. These stats are meaningless at your age lolololol

I don't blame him for asking this question when obnoxious McGunners are asking "What are my chances?" with a 3.95 cGPA and 38 MCAT. You know who you are...

:thumbup: For real. Seeing those WAMCs is enough to make anyone, especially a freshman, question his own existence. :shrug:

Come back when you're a a senior. These stats are meaningless at your age lolololol
Meh, not really. For the most part, GPA doesn't change drastically after the first 3 semesters of college unless there is some horrible circumstance, if anything it generally goes up.

Also, let's not be mean and immediately assume troll when the OP was polite and up front with his question. He might be a new member who we could scare away by deriding instantly.

Let he who has not been neurotic on SDN cast the first stone.

Wait, I thought they only let you into Medical School if you had a 3.99+?

:rofl:
Of course not. 1.) Any four year university is fine as long as your maintain a good GPA and do well on the MCAT 2.) CUNY is a very prestigious university system. In fact, there was a time when it was a good deal more prestigious than the SUNY system. (That may or may not still be the case. I'm not really up to date with NY schools.) You're fine.
It ain't the 1970s anymore. CUNY reputation has gone way down since its heyday. It's just another city university system now, nothing special or worse.

Meh, not really. For the most part, GPA doesn't change drastically after the first 3 semesters of college unless there is some horrible circumstance, if anything it generally goes up.
Citation needed.

When you start college at 3.94, the only direction besides flatline there is to go is down. Never assume that freshman classes like gen chem are a good predictor of future academic success.

You can't assume an MCAT of 32+ in a thread like this lol. It's pointless and none of us will have anything productive to add. Take it easy and prep early if you're aiming for that. Chill out and have a beer.