Is a 3.9879 Rounded up to 4.0 on AMCAAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a 3.9879 GPA Rounded up to 4.0 on AMCAAS?
What about a 3.9987 ?

Members don't see this ad.

troll much?

this is NOT a troll.
What is with SDN'ers thinking every unusual question is a troll?
I am asking an honest question which I think should have a pretty simple answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does it matter?

FWIW I would think the first would not be but the second would be.

Why does it matter?

FWIW I would think the first would not be but the second would be.

It matters because a 4.0 looks better than a 3.9XXX and I was wondering whether ADCOMS will see the former or the latter

It matters because a 4.0 looks better than a 3.9XXX and I was wondering whether ADCOMS will see the former or the latter

I agree, a 3.9XXX is gonna be a tough sell. You should've worked harder to get that 4.0.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, a 3.9XXX is gonna be a tough sell. You should've worked harder to get that 4.0.
Woah. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He has a 3.987. I would feel obligated not to omit this and would feel terrible if I didn't mention the downward trend you obviuosly entailed in your undergraduate coursework. Adcoms frown upon that and don't round up to 6 significant digits. if your school only has 4 or 5, then the last digit is assumed a value of 0 - which can single you out and would lead to a rejection vs someone who got a 3.98791. Sorry :thumbdown:

4.0 SOUNDS better than a 3.9xxx, but think about this for a second.

How many adcoms are going to meet, discuss your app, then decline you because:

"This kid has a 3.99, I don't think he is smart enough. Everyone in our class must have a 4.00"

or

"This kid can't handle our courseload because he has 1 A-. There's no way we can accept him, his GPA is just too low."

There is probably zero difference between a 3.99 and a 4.0, adcoms look at the entire package. They require a high GPA, high MCAT, good ECs. The difference between .01 will probably never make or break an app, especially between a 3.99 and 4.00.

4.0 SOUNDS better than a 3.9xxx, but think about this for a second.

How many adcoms are going to meet, discuss your app, then decline you because:

"This kid has a 3.99, I don't think he is smart enough. Everyone in our class must have a 4.00"

or

"This kid can't handle our courseload because he has 1 A-. There's no way we can accept him, his GPA is just too low."

There is probably zero difference between a 3.99 and a 4.0, adcoms look at the entire package. They require a high GPA, high MCAT, good ECs. The difference between .01 will probably never make or break an app, especially between a 3.99 and 4.00.

party pooper.

I'm sorry, but a 3.9 and you're still this...dumb?

Damn, I don't have a 3.9 OR a 4.0 and I can round. :mad:

Woah. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He has a 3.987. I would feel obligated not to omit this and would feel terrible if I didn't mention the downward trend you obviuosly entailed in your undergraduate coursework. Adcoms frown upon that and don't round up to 6 significant digits. if your school only has 4 or 5, then the last digit is assumed a value of 0 - which can single you out and would lead to a rejection vs someone who got a 3.98791. Sorry :thumbdown:

My bad! You're right, he's screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why in God's good name is this actually a thread?

To give the OP the benefit of the doubt, maybe his real question was "To many places after the decimal point does AMCAS round GPAs?" and the two GPAs mentioned in his posts were merely hypothetical examples to help us visualize the question concretely.

My GPA is actually perfect... if you just use one significant figure.

AMCAS uses three significant figures*, so admissions committee members will see a 3.99 GPA in the original poster's case.

*edit: when I download my AMCAS application for printing, it shows three significant figures.

Last edited:
It depends on how many decimal points they round to. I'm not sure, but it's either two or three. So,

3.9879 --> 3.988 or 3.99
3.9987 --> 3.999 or 4.00

I believe it is three decimal places.

Oh, and OP, acting concerned about 3.9xx GPA is not going to make you any friends around here.

everyone in the past said amcas rounds to 2 decimals.
you'll have a 3.99. HAHAHAAHA sucks for you. there's a bio major in my class today that has a 4.0 EXACTLY. i bet you wish you were her, don't you? are you jealous of her? awww

this is NOT a troll.
What is with SDN'ers thinking every unusual question is a troll?
I am asking an honest question which I think should have a pretty simple answer.

I'd go with Chad's straightforward answer to your straightforward question. But come on, did you really think you wouldn't get any crap here on SDN where so many people seem to think they have the right to decide for everyone else what and what not to care about?

Someone asking your question is undoubtedly a show-off troll who isn't being sensitive enough while someone who asks the exact same question with different numbers, like say if a 3.48 rounds up to 3.5, is obviously just another applicant with a justifiable worry.

Sure, it probably doesn't matter, but as you said, it's just a simple question.

What about a 3.9987 ?

It is not rounded to 4. But if you are truly focused on 3rd and 4th decimal points, you are not spending your time wisely. Some dude with a 3.7 who spent his excess time doing significant and unique ECs will take your spot every time.

lets gang up and insult someone that we've never met and don't even know, that seems like the cool thing to do

lets gang up and insult someone that we've never met and don't even know, that seems like the cool thing to do

What's really funny is that their PS probably reeks of some bs about how compassionate and empathetic they are :D

If you are going to ask a question you have to be able to handle the answers. Too many premeds worry about minutiae and miss the big picture.

"what time is it?"

"**** you"

"why did you say that to me?"

"If you can't handle the answer don't ask the question"

Also, yeah, I'd be much more impressed with someone that appeared perfect than someone who just appeared to have a very high GPA. 4.0, psychologically, does seem much greater than 3.98. This is why prices for things in the store end in 99 cents, because if you round up that extra cent the price seems much higher.

"what time is it?"

"**** you"

Also, yeah, I'd be much more impressed with someone that appeared perfect than someone who just appeared to have a very high GPA. 4.0, psychologically, does seem much greater than 3.98. This is why prices for things in the store end in 99 cents, because if you round up that extra cent the price seems much higher.

Bear in mind though that the top med schools could totally populate their classes with folks with 4.0/40s. But they don't. The averages at these schools tend to be in the 3.8 range. Why? Because after a certain point, the GPA is not going to carry the day, and someone with more balance, a good GPA PLUS other strengths is deemed a better applicant. So you'd rather be the 3.8 with awesome ECs than the 4.0 with average ones. Which is why someone fretting about a third decimal point is kind of sad.

AMCAS rounds to the hundreths place. I had a 3.939 and was rounded to a 3.94. Yours will probably be rounded to 3.99. Not quite perfection but close enough :thumbup:

Even if your GPA did round up to a 4.0 won't they see that A- on your transcript anyway?

"what time is it?"

"**** you"

The difference is, however, that "what time is it?" is not a stupid question about some minute detail that won't matter on the OP's application.

The difference is, however, that "what time is it?" is not a stupid question about some minute detail that won't matter on the OP's application.

Yeah, the question is more like "What time is it to the second? And does anyone care what that time is?"

Bear in mind though that the top med schools could totally populate their classes with folks with 4.0/40s. But they don't. The averages at these schools tend to be in the 3.8 range. Why? Because after a certain point, the GPA is not going to carry the day, and someone with more balance, a good GPA PLUS other strengths is deemed a better applicant. So you'd rather be the 3.8 with awesome ECs than the 4.0 with average ones. Which is why someone fretting about a third decimal point is kind of sad.
The top schools couldn't fill their classes with 4.0/40s. Last year, .3-.5% of the 68000 people who took the MCAT scored 40 or above. That means at MOST there were 350 people last year who managed a 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, OR 45. Thats enough to fill the class at Harvard and Wash U, and maybe 2/3rds of the class at Johns Hopkins. Not nearly enough for "all the top schools" to fill their classes with people that have 40+. Especially considering that some of those 40+ people don't WANT to go to Harvard or Wash U.

Now, GPAwise, theres probably enough 4.00s flowing around, especially if they look at all possible undergrad institutions, but saying that the high level schools don't put much stock in numbers is ridiculous. But yeah, I do agree that other things are important, and .001 GPA points don't matter in the slightest.

"what time is it?"

"**** you"

Wow.The quality of matriculant's has certainly exceeded my expectations. You're completely right, someone asking a question like the OP is in the same category of annoying as asking what time it is. Lighten up. Remember;

INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS

The top schools couldn't fill their classes with 4.0/40s. Last year, .3-.5% of the 68000 people who took the MCAT scored 40 or above. That means at MOST there were 350 people last year who managed a 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, OR 45. Thats enough to fill the class at Harvard and Wash U, and maybe 2/3rds of the class at Johns Hopkins. Not nearly enough for "all the top schools" to fill their classes with people that have 40+. Especially considering that some of those 40+ people don't WANT to go to Harvard or Wash U.

Now, GPAwise, theres probably enough 4.00s flowing around, especially if they look at all possible undergrad institutions, but saying that the high level schools don't put much stock in numbers is ridiculous. But yeah, I do agree that other things are important, and .001 GPA points don't matter in the slightest.

OK fine, 4.0/38-40+. You get my point. The top two schools don't have exclusively the top stats, and that is by choice, not because they are getting rejected by those students. There are simply other, non-numeric factors that weigh in, sometimes significantly. If you want to go to a top school you have to be the whole package, not just the GPA. Schools are looking for that dynamic person who aced things but also can wow them with non-academic experiences and successes.

It is not rounded to 4. But if you are truly focused on 3rd and 4th decimal points, you are not spending your time wisely. Some dude with a 3.7 who spent his excess time doing significant and unique ECs will take your spot every time.

Seriously the OP is probably just curious.

Why do we all have to jump and judge him? Let's just take questions at face-value.

To answer your question, OP, call AMCAS and ask them yourself?

AMCAS rounds to the hundreths place. I had a 3.939 and was rounded to a 3.94. Yours will probably be rounded to 3.99. Not quite perfection but close enough :thumbup:

Ya, I agree. Come to think of it. They did round my average to the hundreths place.

So OP, you got your answer.

Now please tell everyone that you really have a 3.45 so that they stop being so darn ridiculous, anal and jealous. Oh wait, that's 99% of SDN's members. And before someone says it, yes, I fit the bill. :rolleyes:

is this a serious question?

Last edited:
OK fine, 4.0/38-40+. You get my point. The top two schools don't have exclusively the top stats, and that is by choice, not because they are getting rejected by those students. There are simply other, non-numeric factors that weigh in, sometimes significantly. If you want to go to a top school you have to be the whole package, not just the GPA. Schools are looking for that dynamic person who aced things but also can wow them with non-academic experiences and successes.

the thing is, have u ever read mdapps? have u ever talked to your premed friends about their ECs? everybody is saving the world! the volunteering, the reasearch, the ECs, that is the easy part. youre doing something you enjoy and doing it alot. its like a job. maybe you dont even enjoy it. but u can still do it if you try. some people on this forum will try as hard as they can and will never have a 3.8+ gpa. even more ppl, a significant amount more, will study their arse off, but will never get a 35+ mcat score. fact is, most ppl asking these, though undoubtedly mundane and redundant, questions (i mean it IS an ANONYMOUS forum where ppl can and should feel free to ask whatever the fuk they want!) probably have their fare share of ECs under their belt. i dont think he needs advice on his ECs and im sure he knows that med schools want the total package. im sure his resume, as with most, is inflated and filled with cliches that talk of his compassion for others and insatiable intellecutual appetite that is evidenced by his stratospheric, though not *heavenly*, gpa. the hard part is getting the numbers. end of story. and we all know med schools like numbers. so stop hatin'!

Its funny how almost none of these comments make an attempt at answering the OP's question.

Its funny how almost none of these comments make an attempt at answering the OP's question.

I beg to differ. Look below.

it's a shame that i know how to ROUND but i don't have that GPA

the thing is, have u ever read mdapps? have u ever talked to your premed friends about their ECs? everybody is saving the world! the volunteering, the reasearch, the ECs, that is the easy part. youre doing something you enjoy and doing it alot. its like a job. maybe you dont even enjoy it. but u can still do it if you try. some people on this forum will try as hard as they can and will never have a 3.8+ gpa. even more ppl, a significant amount more, will study their arse off, but will never get a 35+ mcat score. fact is, most ppl asking these, though undoubtedly mundane and redundant, questions (i mean it IS an ANONYMOUS forum where ppl can and should feel free to ask whatever the fuk they want!) probably have their fare share of ECs under their belt. i dont think he needs advice on his ECs and im sure he knows that med schools want the total package. im sure his resume, as with most, is inflated and filled with cliches that talk of his compassion for others and insatiable intellecutual appetite that is evidenced by his stratospheric, though not *heavenly*, gpa. the hard part is getting the numbers. end of story. and we all know med schools like numbers. so stop hatin'!

MDApps is full of fake posts and is not a representative sampling of applicants. And nobody puts stock in folks "saving the world" claims. Talk is cheap. Everybody these days has some minimal level of clinical volunteering and shadowing. The top schools seek folks who go beyond this. Sure they want numbers, but they want something more. you don't see that many people who have top grades, a run of the mill ER volunteer job getting into the top schools these days. The truly unique, interesting applicants have objective, verifiable things that others don't. I'm talking years of extensive community service, military service, prior careers and professions, significant publications and research, peace corps, varsity sports, teaching english in foreign countries, Rhodes and Fullbright scholarships, and the like. You will meet these types. They exist. And they are the ones who get sought, even if their GPA is a 3.8. Because they found a smarter use of their time than worrying about that remaining 0.2. that's the way it is. So you stop hatin'.

What about a 3.9987 ?

You should pm that high school kid, who was bragging about his 4.0 high school gpa yesterday. Equally impressive. My knees get weak when I read about these gpa's. Sure, you can be a 4.0 in your own mind.

Here's your answer:

AMCAS will recalculate your GPA anyway and put it however they want. It makes no difference what you put. For your secondaries I would put 3.99. 2 decimal points is standard. If you put 4.0 schools will see the difference between the AMCAS GPA and your value and it will look dishonest. No one is going to laugh at your 3.99. It shows that you are human ... barely.

MDApps is full of fake posts and is not a representative sampling of applicants. And nobody puts stock in folks "saving the world" claims. Talk is cheap. Everybody these days has some minimal level of clinical volunteering and shadowing. The top schools seek folks who go beyond this. Sure they want numbers, but they want something more. you don't see that many people who have top grades, a run of the mill ER volunteer job getting into the top schools these days. The truly unique, interesting applicants have objective, verifiable things that others don't. I'm talking years of extensive community service, military service, prior careers and professions, significant publications and research, peace corps, varsity sports, teaching english in foreign countries, Rhodes and Fullbright scholarships, and the like. You will meet these types. They exist. And they are the ones who get sought, even if their GPA is a 3.8. Because they found a smarter use of their time than worrying about that remaining 0.2. that's the way it is. So you stop hatin'.

all fine and dandy...i cannot disagree with what you said, for the most part. yes, these "perfect" rhodes scholar having, 3.85 gpa, 34 mcat ppl do exist. but very, very, very few of them exist...the ppl i know who have gotten into top notch programs are basically the 3.9+ 35+ run of the mill ER volunteering job, run of the mill volunteer job, but do a good job of bs'ing their commitment to these things..in fact, the one rhodes scholar i know, with whom i went to high school is like this too! ha...maybe im being cynical because until i started getting money thrown at me in my final year of hs for my super high SAT score (lol, black male, ya dig, high numbers = money!) i thought all those ppl who got into harvard, yale, princetone were these super humans who were just perfect...the picture that you have basically painted...but there are some of us who do these "run of the mill" things, do them well, do them passonately...manage to get good grades and get really high test scores and get into those top notch schools....

in regads to answering the guys post...i think the consensus is that youll get a 3.99..but even you got the 4.0...as someone else noted....med schools will see that A- anyway

btw...i wonder if med skools will hate me for my 3.94?

hardee har har har:smuggrin:

Thread title should be changed to "look you guys, I nearly have a 4.0 LOLzzz...."

This is ridiculous. I ask a simple question and get bombarded with insulting and pointless diatribe. Take it easy, please.