Is a 504 MCAT bad for DO schools?

Started by DrThanos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrThanos

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep hovering around that score for my practice exams.

FL 1 = 502 (124, 126, 124, 128)
FL 2 = 504 (126, 128, 124, 126)
FL 3 = 504 (124, 127, 127, 126)

I haven't taken FL 4 yet but I will here in the next few days, I test next week and will most likely end up with a 504 I feel like. Is having a section at 124 lethal?
 
I keep hovering around that score for my practice exams.

FL 1 = 502 (124, 126, 124, 128)
FL 2 = 504 (126, 128, 124, 126)
FL 3 = 504 (124, 127, 127, 126)

I haven't taken FL 4 yet but I will here in the next few days, I test next week and will most likely end up with a 504 I feel like. Is having a section at 124 lethal?
You're fine
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on GPA I would imagine?

A 504 is fine for any DO school any way you twist it, unless there's a huge difference between your highest and lowest section score. You're scoring consistently on all your sections based on practice exams, so just continue doing what you're doing and you'll be fine.
 
A 504 is fine for any DO school any way you twist it, unless there's a huge difference between your highest and lowest section score. You're scoring consistently on all your sections based on practice exams, so just continue doing what you're doing and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't say it's fine for any DO school. Some schools have MCAT averages of 507+. Off the top of my head... Western (both campuses), Touro-CA, KCU-KC, DMU, UNT, and CCOM. For most DO schools, a 504 should suffice, though.
 
I wouldn't say it's fine for any DO school. Some schools have MCAT averages of 507+. Off the top of my head... Western (both campuses), Touro-CA, KCU-KC, DMU, UNT, and CCOM. For most DO schools, a 504 should suffice, though.

Sorry I should have used better terminology, what I meant by "fine" was that a 504 is in the realm of competitive for DO. Obviously below average at those schools, but not out of the question provided the applicant has a solid application otherwise.
 
UPDATE: I received a 503. Slightly disappointed but it is the average of my FLs. Breakdown was (124,124,127,128) I don't know how I did that bad in CARS. Is this still good enough to continue with my application? What schools shouldn't I apply to with this score?
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: I received a 503. Slightly disappointed but it is the average of my FLs. (124,124,127,128) I don't know how I did that bad in CARS. Is this still good enough to continue with my application? What schools shouldn't I apply to with this score?
What are your cGPA and sGPA ? What are your ECs ? State of residence ?
 
What are your cGPA and sGPA ? What are your ECs ? State of residence ?
From Indiana. I have around 55 hours of shadowing. Lots of nonclinical volunteering at a children's museum and at the ronald McDonald house. For clinical experience I have around 68 hours combined in between being a language interpreter and volunteering in the ED at a hospital. Was supposed to have well over 100 hours but haven't been able to volunteer or do interpreting since the pandemic started. I also ran a business in college and am currently a realtor. Copy/pasting from the underdogs thread:
  • DrThanos: cGPA 3.31 / sGPA 3.24 / 503 MCAT / Verified 8/14 / 0 Interviews / 0 Acceptances / Last 120 credit hours are at 3.49 and last 3 semesters (50 credit hours) at a 3.66.
 
Last edited:
Which schools have you already applied to ?
I've applied to these ones.
1602607772979.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a 124 for CARS and interviewed at both MD schools I applied to in state. WL at one, rejected at the other. 503 overall.
Its not lethal for MD but its not helping either. I had good letters and my extracurriculars were above what I think most apply with so I think that helped with interviews at the MD schools.
Honestly if you aren't going to get into the MD school ultimately its better to not get the interview (though you don't get the choice) but when you get interviews and WL at them it plants the seeds of doubt and makes you consider waiting out another year, which I didn't do thankfully.

Apply with a 504, youll get plenty of interviews at DO schools so long as the rest of your app is there.

I see you applied to ACOM, shoot me a message if you have any questions