is a 55-60 resting heartrate normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDNer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've realized that I have a slow heart rate (averages around 55-60bpm) after reading up some cardio stuff for physiology. I'm like 5'8" 160lb...don't exercise that regularly (i.e. atheletes have been known to have low heart rates). What's strange is that my last physical 9 months ago, my heart rate was around 80 bpm/cholrestrol 140. I did have a mild episode of pain (kinda like a little muscular spasm/cramping/tingling sensation for about 20 minutes) slightly below my xiphoid process towards the left side a month or so ago and saw a NP a week later who couldn't find anything wrong w/ my hearbeat. Should I get another checkup?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by SDNer
Recently, I've realized that I have a slow heart rate (averages around 55-60bpm) after reading up some cardio stuff for physiology. I'm like 5'8" 160lb...don't exercise that regularly (i.e. atheletes have been known to have low heart rates). What's strange is that my last physical 9 months ago, my heart rate was around 80 bpm/cholrestrol 140. I did have a mild episode of pain (kinda like a little muscular spasm/cramping/tingling sensation for about 20 minutes) slightly below my xiphoid process towards the left side a month or so ago and saw a NP a week later who couldn't find anything wrong w/ my hearbeat. Should I get another checkup?

55-60 can be normal for women, and athletes who have lots of vagal tone. The change in your resting heartbeat since your last appointment may simply reflect environmental changes - perhaps it was measured shortly after you climbed a flight of stairs, maybe you had caffeine that morning, maybe you were just nervous. It's tough to say how the pain might fit in. The fact that it lasted 20 minutes concerns me. I would definitely go back to see a doctor (not an NP), and get an EKG.

Hi.

The HR measured at the doctor's office wasn't your RHR. RHR is usually measured right after you get up in the morning or even with a HR monitor in your sleep.

You probably had a rate of 55-60 the whole time but didn't realize it till you started reading up on it.

My RHR is around 40 on a good day, by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BellKicker
Hi.

The HR measured at the doctor's office wasn't your RHR. RHR is usually measured right after you get up in the morning or even with a HR monitor in your sleep.

You probably had a rate of 55-60 the whole time but didn't realize it till you started reading up on it.

My RHR is around 40 on a good day, by the way.

Doesn't that worry you at all?

A low RHR (40-60) is actually associated with an overall, pretty substantial decrease in mortality compared to us rapid resting heart raters. Remember that the "normal" heart rate values are meaningless in terms of physiology; I vaguely recall someone telling me that they have some sort of very arbitrary story behind them. They may be based on population studies of what is "normal" in the general population, I'm not certain. I have a RHR of ~80-110. One day in morning report, while discussing a case, our department chair said that a resting heart rate of 100 in a 25 yr old should raise red flags in any physician's mind which I thought was funny because my resting heart rate while sitting there was around 100 too.

Asymptomatic bradycardia is not a problem (if you want to take a neurologist's word on that -- if not, ask your friendly neighborhood cardiologist). It only matters if your heart rate recurrently slows to the point that you hypoperfuse and pass out. At that point you buy a pacer.