Is a "C" the required minimum grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalapp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that for some dental schools, at least based on their web sites, state that "a C or better is expected on all prerequites."

So let's take organic chem for example. I received a B+ on both organic I/II ( 4 credits each ). I'm trying to complete organic lab I/II ( 1 credits each ) as of now and I'm trying to apply to dental schools at the same time.

I'm in danger of getting a C- or a D on the labs.

How will I be viewed?

Also, if I do get accepted, would I be automatically withdrawn for the C- or a D on the labs?

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't think a C- or D is the end of the world. I have a D in one of my classes and have done well thus far. I even applied and interviewed at a school that stated that you have to have a C or better in all the required classes. I knew going in to it that my choices were going to be more limited - like that I couldn't apply to UAB or NOVA - but it hasn't hurt me too bad yet. I know that some schools give out a conditional acceptance where if they like everything about you but one thing you are accepted if you agree to retake a class or the DAT or whatever it is that they want before you enter.

This is what happened. I took Organic Chem Lectures I and II last year, each being 4 credits, and I received a B+ on both.

I did not, however, take organic lab I and II ( 1 credit each) last year. I'm taking those right now and I'm in the process of waiting for acceptances/denials from dental schools at the moment.

I'm doing so horribly in orgo lab that I'm expecting a C-, D, or maybe even an E by the end of this semester. The final grades for the lab would appear at around Christmas.

But by then, I might have gotten accepted to a dental school and then afterwards the C-, D, or E would show up.

Upon these 1 credit lab grades ( despite my B+ grades on one year of orgo), would those dental schools cancel my acceptance?

Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
No they won't but they might make you retake it.

In all likelyhood, you could just get the lab waived. That is, if the schools aren't happy with your grade in it, then just ask them if you can matriculate without retaking the class. This is common for Organic labs and physics labs -- schools don't really care if you've taken the classes or not. I'm saving my physics/organic labs for my final semester, just so I can get them waived before matriculating.

I don't think a D is a bad thing. I was told by a dean that even though I had a D in Ochem, it was ok and would be overlooked because I had plenty of other courses to make up for it and I also recieved a high score on the OChem section of the DAT.
So when schools say you have to have a C or whatever, it's not completly true...Don't worry!!