Is a caregiver job at an assisted living facility clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovetoDance007

Reaction score
Hi! I was recently offered a caregiving job at an assisted living facility. The job description includes things such as: helping your residents bathe and helping with personal hygiene, having them participate and helping in various activities offered throughout the day, ensuring that they eat, attend to their individual care needs, plan their individualized service plans (care plans), and overall provide companionship. I would think this would be clinical due to the hands-on care you are offering and the ability to be the main part of the care team, but I would love a secondary opinion!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the person a patient or are they a "resident"? Is being a nanny for toddlers clinical? Why would it be different for someone who is aged or who is living with a physical or mental disability.

Better to call it non-clinical than to be called out by someone who things that you are trying to claim clinical experience when they don't see it that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the person a patient or are they a "resident"? Is being a nanny for toddlers clinical? Why would it be different for someone who is aged or who is living with a physical or mental disability.

Better to call it non-clinical than to be called out by someone who things that you are trying to claim clinical experience when they don't see it that way.
Thank you! Would a memory care facility be more in line? I guess I’m trying to differentiate this with hospice a bit since I know a big thing they emphasized during the interview was also helping with end of life care

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you seeking a job or are you seeking a clinical experience? Or are you trying to get a job that will count as clinical experience? Do you have any training or credential?

Could you consider a job providing personal care services to older adults (non-clinical role) and find a volunteer position in a undisputable clinical setting (emergency department, neonatal intensive care) for a few hours per week? Or get a job as a patient care technician in a hospital setting where the work may be similar and the people being cared for an indisputably "patients".

Home hospice and hospice services delivered in a hospice facility do get counted as clinical although much of what volunteers do is respite for a family member who needs a break for an hour or two. But the person in hospice is in the role of "patient" whereas a person who has a physical disability or who has a cognitive deficit can go on living their lives in their homes or in residential facilities for years and years and they are not "patients", they are just people who are living their lives. Not to infantilize them but if they no longer know how to do things they are somewhat similar to people who have not yet learned how to do things or who lack the judgment, or strength and coordination to do them. We don't consider nannies to be doing clinical care when they assist with bathing, dressing, and feeding so why is it different if the person is an adult?

Thank you! Would a memory care facility be more in line? I guess I’m trying to differentiate this with hospice a bit since I know a big thing they emphasized during the interview was also helping with end of life care
Hospice is frankly completely different from an assisted living facility or a memory care facility. In hospice care there is direct oversight at all time by a hospice physician who is actively treating dying patients. Assisted living facilities provide necessary assistance, but the assistance isn't really medical.