Is a Grade Appeal Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earthbound

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essentially, I earned a score that was 0.2 below my school's honors cut-off for preclinical "doctoring." Our school's grading scheme was repeatedly revised throughout the course of this semester due to COVID-19, which necessitated canceled clinical experiences. The point weight for the final exam was doubled to account for these changes. I performed relatively poorly. I looked into my school's appeals process and a grade appeal might be valid if I can show that the grading was not based on "established guidelines."

They announced the grade distribution changes mid-semester. Should I formally pursue this? It's the difference between H/HP. I'm not sure if playing the "COVID card" holds any weight here. In a normal year I would have been way over the threshold. I could have easily earned the extra 0.2 needed if I had just gotten one additional question correct somewhere, so I'm pretty frustrated with myself. I don't know if PD's down the line would give a preclinical HP a second glance, but I'm hoping to go to an academic program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am also just a medical student, but the thought that comes to my mind:
1)Is this course important for you? Why? Is it a deal breaker for something?
2) What is the general attitude of your school to students to appeal things? I am not saying that you should worry about it, but i personally would be concerned about developing a specific reputation.. Because dont forget, these are the people who will write you recommendation letters later for residencies.

On the other hand, if you strongly feel that you were wronged, you should advocate for yourself, or it will eat you alive. Is there maybe a faculty member you trust that you could ask for advice? they would know internal politics of your school, and it might be easier for them to help you decide on what impact that would have on everything.

Reactions: 1 user
The "getting a reputation" thing was probably my biggest concern. I don't know if an HP (as opposed to honors) would negatively affect my chances down the line at some residencies, I really have no idea how much weight to place on it.

I am also just a medical student, but the thought that comes to my mind:
1)Is this course important for you? Why? Is it a deal breaker for something?
2) What is the general attitude of your school to students to appeal things? I am not saying that you should worry about it, but i personally would be concerned about developing a specific reputation.. Because dont forget, these are the people who will write you recommendation letters later for residencies.

On the other hand, if you strongly feel that you were wronged, you should advocate for yourself, or it will eat you alive. Is there maybe a faculty member you trust that you could ask for advice? they would know internal politics of your school, and it might be easier for them to help you decide on what impact that would have on everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
1590783937330.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Essentially, I earned a score that was 0.2 below my school's honors cut-off for preclinical "doctoring." Our school's grading scheme was repeatedly revised throughout the course of this semester due to COVID-19, which necessitated canceled clinical experiences. The point weight for the final exam was doubled to account for these changes. I performed relatively poorly. I looked into my school's appeals process and a grade appeal might be valid if I can show that the grading was not based on "established guidelines."

They announced the grade distribution changes mid-semester. Should I formally pursue this? It's the difference between H/HP. I'm not sure if playing the "COVID card" holds any weight here. I could have easily earned the extra 0.2 needed if I had just gotten one additional question correct somewhere, so I'm pretty frustrated with myself.
At my school this would not fly. They would probably be mad. :rolleyes: I was 0.05% below a cutoff in a clinical grade for a specialty I will be applying to - surgery. Did email the course director, they didn't change it. I was definitely closer than 0.2% on some of my preclinical honors cutoff and I personally didn't request it then because a) preclinical has little worth b)school is strict on it...

It won't affect your residency chances. Live a little!

Reactions: 1 users
Unless you are mistreated that leads to a lower score than your performance, a set point to honor is set as stone. Don’t bother. I showed up 30 mins before clinical and stayed an hour after and still only scored 85% on an clinical eval portion basically graded based on whether I showed up to clinical. I tried to argue with no luck. What did I have to do to score 100%? Move in the office and sleep there? So yes unless you were mistreated, you have no ground to appeal.

This will ruin you. Appeal immediately.

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

They announced the grade distribution changes mid-semester. Should I formally pursue this? It's the difference between H/HP. I'm not sure if playing the "COVID card" holds any weight here. In a normal year I would have been way over the threshold. I could have easily earned the extra 0.2 needed if I had just gotten one additional question correct somewhere, so I'm pretty frustrated with myself. I don't know if PD's down the line would give a preclinical HP a second glance, but I'm hoping to go to an academic program.
You're not a premed anymore. PDs don't care about preclinical grades

Reactions: 1 users
You're not a premed anymore. PDs don't care about preclinical grades
They do ONLY if you get AOA...that is the only consistent compliment I get when people look at my resume.