Is unpaid summer research worth doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joey jake

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to do research in the lab of a well-respected physician PI. However, it is unpaid.

Is this a scam? I will have to pay for travel and accommodation so it will be quite expensive. Is it worth doing?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

probably worth doing if you can afford it and are interested in more competitive fields that like research.

Reactions: 1 user
probably worth doing if you can afford it and are interested in more competitive fields that like research.

Thank you. However, is this common? From my previous experiences, they were all paid, even if just a very small amount.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. However, is this common? From my previous experiences, they were all paid, even if just a very small amount.
I did unpaid summer research and got three pubs out of it. I think that was worth more than the minimum wage you'd otherwise get.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to do research in the lab of a well-respected physician PI. However, it is unpaid.

Is this a scam? I will have to pay for travel and accommodation so it will be quite expensive. Is it worth doing?

Thank you
Depends. If you get a pub out of it, then it’ll be worth it. If nothing really comes of it then I would consider it a waste of time/money. Kinda depends on what you want/working towards.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's criminal to work what is potentially full time during your summer and not get paid. I understand some students have the ability to do so, which probably why it's so prevalent, but it's still criminal.

There are plenty of labs that can and do get funding and I'd personally try and find one that does. I did summer research and was given a 5k stipend, I could not have spend my summer doing unpaid work unfortunately and had to supplement that stipend with tutoring even.

To your actual question:

Is it worth it? If you have the means and it's a productive lab and you're entering a research heavy specialty or love research - sure. Otherwise no.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much to everyone. I think I will do it. I should have applied for paid summer positions, but I didn't, so this is the only option I have. I'll try to get my name on a paper.

Thank you again.

You should have the discussion with the PI about publishing beforehand since it’s unpaid

Reactions: 1 users
Your school may be able to give you a work-study grant to fund your position. Talk to your financial aid office.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it really that well respected if the PI is so cheap/broke that he cant spare 3k out of his grants to pay for full time labor for a few months?