General Admissions & OTCAS Is a masters respected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ottobe15682

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive been feeling pretty down as I have close friends who were all accepted to doctoral programs with similar stats as me, that I was rejected from. I was accepted at a masters program, but I can’t help to feel worried that my MOT is less respected or not viewed as as much of an accomplishment. Does anyone else feel this way in this climate of the OTD mandate? I’m still really proud of myself and excited to start my journey in this field to ultimately help people, but was curious if anyone else felt similar.

Members don't see this ad.

Same salary, same job opportunities, and they'll have more debt. Doesn't bother me.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when you get out working you'll be the only one who cares- it's a personal thing

Nah, it shouldn't matter. I've seen rehab directors in both PT and OT with master's still, and I've shadowed OTs with bachelor's degree before when that was the standard. It doesn't matter, unless you want to teach in academia or in a public school (where in most, degree is tied to salary, although it's not a huge difference). And I say this as someone in an OTD program. My program has both options for entry, and there are definitely brilliant, hard-working people in the master's, as there are in the OTD.

I also want to say that getting into schools is partially luck. I got rejected at much lower ranked/less reputable programs and accepted at higher-ranked ones, and vice-versa. Schools are looking for different things, and it's about fit. Just remember that.

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words! Means a lot!

At the end of the day, you will be an occupational therapist. Also, if you wanted to be a professor at a university someday, realize those with an entry-level OTD would have to get a post-professional doctorate in addition.

Both are great accomplishments. In my case, the doctorate program is only 4 months longer than the master's programs I was accepted into, so I decided the doctorate would be better in the long run. Either way, it's a personal decision, and a master's degree is most definitely respected.

Reactions: 1 user