Is a pharmacist allowed to refuse filling a non-controlled substance prescription (e.g., OCP) when the prescription is not yet expired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because the expiration date on the prescription is 1 year later - which is weird. Also, what i read was that it was valid for one year post date written. Please folks, stop taking this personally. This is not an attack to the pharmacy career. We appreciate our pharmacists as physicians. As a patient who had to make another appointment, it was an inconvenience. I bet if they made a lot money on OCP, they would call and verify. People have called to verify toradol prescriptions.
This all boils down to a single issue:

Do you think it increases or decreases patient safety and outcomes when pharmacists are expected to take time away from important tasks to play secretary?

Do you think a pharmacist is more or less likely to catch a 12 day prescription for Toradol written by a dentist for an 88 year old patient with a significant history of ulcers who is on Coumadin because they have to spend 10-30 minutes to call a doctor's office for the sake of convenience only to find out the patient has to make an appointment before a new Rx will be issued?

@wicket made a very good point. It's extremely uncomfortable and a Huge waste of time for a retail RPh to refuse a prescription. That's why we don't believe it's as cut and dry as you're putting it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Where can I find a law to get her to fill my OCP?

Your an attending physician and you can't solve this problem yourself?

If you or your patients have an issue with a pharmacist or pharmacy refusing to fill scripts (happens on occasion), you are owed an explanation as to why. If you don't agree, go somewhere else. When most refuse the problem is not with the pharmacy/pharmacist.

I have seen providers for my own care and they have made decisions that I believe are in their own best interest, not mine. So I find a new provider. In the end its the relationship that matters.

Oh, saying we are just here to bill? Really?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
This thread is amusing.
Very mild compared to the Pharmacist Moms group. I say this in person whenever I have a chance and I will say it again: retail pharmacists, I tip my hat to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can insult with the best of them, but I don't see what it would accomplish here and plenty of people already have that covered. She probably won't read my long ass post anyway, but I just want one less patient (and prescriber) with unrealistic expectations of a pharmacy.

I did read your post. Thank you for being civilize and nice about the situation. I wish your fellow colleagues can learn for this.

I just find it amusing how casually & readily someone is willing to pursue legal action against RPh for simply doing his/her job. This situation has absolutely nothing to do with ethical reasons for refusing to fill & is completely objective. Would like to congratulate unnamed RPh for doing his/her job & dealing with classic case of patient overreacting to the point of pursuing legal action for a simple case of ignorance.

I'm a bit tired of dealing with customers who act like toddlers throwing temper tantrums if things don't go his/her way...or god forbid, he/she have to be responsible/accountable for anything...say waiting 9 months to fill a Rx only to discover state law determining it is expired.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
July has always been my least favorite month in retail because that's when the fresh new crop of residents start writing scripts without having the slightest idea of what the heck they are doing. Some of them, unfortunately, don't bother to learn and remain ignorant of the rules regardless of how long they have been in practice.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a bit tired of dealing with customers who act like toddlers throwing temper tantrums if things don't go his/her way...or god forbid, he/she have to be responsible/accountable for anything...say waiting 9 months to fill a Rx only to discover state law determining it is expired.

That fact the prescribers act like toddlers too when it comes to their own Rx makes it even worse

• Love
A lot of frustrated people on here. Wow.
Are you sure you are not due for a career change? Some of you seem really bitter.
It actually hilarious.
For those who have been helpful, thank you. For the rest, sigh.
I am going to take my leave. But if I do find a law that states otherwise, I will back to rub it in your faces. joke.
You guys need to chill out.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.