Is a research year during med school the norm?

Started by Sandy4321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sandy4321

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an incoming MS1 interested in dermatology. I was wondering, is doing a research year during medical school almost an expectation if I want to be competitive for derm? Also, when should I start getting involved in research and/or any other extracurricular activities that will make me a competitive applicant?
 
I'm an incoming MS1 interested in dermatology. I was wondering, is doing a research year during medical school almost an expectation if I want to be competitive for derm? Also, when should I start getting involved in research and/or any other extracurricular activities that will make me a competitive applicant?

It isn't, it's a nice thing to have but by no means required.

I would start during the summer in between your MS1 and MS2 year. If you think you can handle the MS1 course load, then get started earlier. But the worst thing you can do is take on too much at one time, have your MS1 grades suffer, and then have to back out of a research commitment. Master med school first, there is plenty of time to get involved with research when you are ready.

Extracurriculars aren't as big a part of the derm application process, I would get involved with things you feel passionate about rather than getting involved as a way to put it on your application.