Is a SUB-I necesary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much difference doing a sub-i in ICU or MED looks on your app. Is it basically a standard? I am doing away rotations etc but those are not sub-i per se, just rotations, right? As of yet I do not have a actual sub-i scheduled for 4th year, will this hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year currently doing a medicine sub-I...only because it is a requirement for graduation at my school. I would only do a sub-I if you are interested in learning more floor medicine. Otherwise, it has little if any effect on your residency application. What is important is your third year clinical rotations and your EM rotations. By the time ERAS is submitted you will have only done about 3 rotations, two which are probably EM.

After your ERAS application is submitted, the rotations you choose should be those you are interested in because they will not factor into the residency match equation.

jaz said:
I was wondering how much difference doing a sub-i in ICU or MED looks on your app. Is it basically a standard? I am doing away rotations etc but those are not sub-i per se, just rotations, right? As of yet I do not have a actual sub-i scheduled for 4th year, will this hurt me?
See this previous posting for a listing of the factors that EM program directors use to select applicants.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
atsai3 said:
See this previous posting for a listing of the factors that EM program directors use to select applicants.

-AT.

Remember that studies on what programs use to decide on applicants are self-reported surveys, usually, and often have little bearing on reality. I've heard from a few program directors that priority #1 is making sure you're not a tool, however, I haven't seen that mentioned in any study.

mike

mikecwru said:
Remember that studies on what programs use to decide on applicants are self-reported surveys, usually, and often have little bearing on reality. I've heard from a few program directors that priority #1 is making sure you're not a tool, however, I haven't seen that mentioned in any study.

mike
My guess is that would be why the PDs ranked the interview as the #2 factor.

Cheers
-AT.

I was told by my emergency medicine advisor that PDs like to see an ICU rotation on your schedule if you are planning on applying to EM. I was often asked what I had been doing during my 4th year during interviews so I tend to believe that it was a positive. I have to do a Sub-I medicine month but no one seemed to ask me about that during interviews.

I think that you should probably do a month of ICU but it doesn't have to be a "Sub I" month.

considering that I am currently sitting around waiting for the next admission while on my Medicine sub-I, it's a requirement at my school of course, I'd say that a Medicine Sub-I is absolute torture of the worst kind and at this stage in the game in fourth year a complete and utter execrcise in futility......unfortunately at my school a MICU month does not suffice for the requirement.....god this sucks...as will the countelss hours of rounding and then the conferences post call...