is aamc 8 the hardest? getting a bit depressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorade848

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made 32 on aamc 7 and lots of mistakes were stupid careless mistakes; checking the answers I definitely couldve gotten 4 points higher had I been more careful. I admit I was kinda burnout so for the past week I just relaxed more than usual and today I just took aamc 8 and got 28...:(

my real thing is on the 20th and I am getting a bit depressed. Is #8 just a really harder than usual and I should just forget about it or is my low score a warning that I slacked off too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I made 32 on aamc 7 and lots of mistakes were stupid careless mistakes; checking the answers I definitely couldve gotten 4 points higher had I been more careful. I admit I was kinda burnout so for the past week I just relaxed more than usual and today I just took aamc 8 and got 28...:(

my real thing is on the 20th and I am getting a bit depressed. Is #8 just a really harder than usual and I should just forget about it or is my low score a warning that I slacked off too much?

I think it is......

I thought 4 was the hardest...but I guess it depends on which topics you know really well and which ones you don't.

Members don't see this ad :)

You have answered your own question in the first paragraph. If you always focus on your stupid mistakes, you will be more apt to convince yourself into making... stupid mistakes. If you have already been scoring well on the AAMC's, you know enough content to do just fine on the test.

Take a day or two off from studying and get your mind together. Do not think about the MCAT. You are currently psyching yourself out of the game.

You have answered your own question in the first paragraph. If you always focus on your stupid mistakes, you will be more apt to convince yourself into making... stupid mistakes. If you have already been scoring well on the AAMC's, you know enough content to do just fine on the test.

Take a day or two off from studying and get your mind together. Do not think about the MCAT. You are currently psyching yourself out of the game.

? I focused on my mistakes because I didnt want to make the same kind of mistake again, how come that is making it worse? lol

after I got the 32 I kinda just took it easy for a week so I dunno

? I focused on my mistakes because I didnt want to make the same kind of mistake again, how come that is making it worse? lol

after I got the 32 I kinda just took it easy for a week so I dunno

I don't know how much anyone can actually help you here. You know infinitely more information about your own situation than anyone else does, and you should be able to make your own calls. You said you were burnt out and depressed, so I went with that as the reason. I did not originally understand that being depressed was the effect, and not the cause. If you instead were comfortable with your 32 and subsequently stopped working hard, that is quite obviously the reason why you got a 28. When you lose focus, your score will go down, independent of any other factors. You don't need anyone to tell you that... Good luck.

I don't know how much anyone can actually help you here. You know infinitely more information about your own situation than anyone else does, and you should be able to make your own calls. You said you were burnt out and depressed, so I went with that as the reason. I did not originally understand that being depressed was the effect, and not the cause. If you instead were comfortable with your 32 and subsequently stopped working hard, that is quite obviously the reason why you got a 28. When you lose focus, your score will go down, independent of any other factors. You don't need anyone to tell you that... Good luck.

I probably slacked off too much then lol... vast majority of mistakes I made on aamc 7 were not content just careless so I thought taking it easy would clear my mind and make me concentrate better, apparently it had the opposite effect.

I did study last week but it was less than usual... now all mcat till the 20th :cool:

I got my second highest score on AAMC8: 10PS, 6VR (decreased from 9), and 12 BS. Highest so far was 29, where I ran out of time on several q's in PS.

I really thought I was being pranked about it being hard when I was almost done with it. But anyways, was VR especially hard in this?

Seriously, I suspect that thinking it is hard might be the placebo effect causing it to be hard?

Also, what others are hard?

I got my second highest score on AAMC8: 10PS, 6VR (decreased from 9), and 12 BS. Highest so far was 29, where I ran out of time on several q's in PS.

I really thought I was being pranked about it being hard when I was almost done with it. But anyways, was VR especially hard in this?

Seriously, I suspect that thinking it is hard might be the placebo effect causing it to be hard?

Also, what others are hard?

5 was the hardest for me. 8 was fine. 10 felt hard, but ended up being one of my highest scores.

If there is one thing about the difficulties of the AAMCs I have learned after reading every post, in every archive about them on this site - it is that every person will have a different opinion about which test is hardest.

People will say 8 is easy, I got a 27 or 28 on it, people will say 10 is hard, I got a 34 on it. Every person will say something different, there is no easy test and there is no hard test.

9 was the easiest and 10 was the hardest for me. All the others except 11 were about same difficulty.

No test is harder than the others. if you're coming here trying to find some validation for your lower score, you wont - atleast not from the serious MCATers. You're just trying to force some kind of excuse for it - don't.. You did bad plain and simple.

Review it like hell, make sure you NEVER make those mistakes again, and do better on the next one. Thats a much better way to spend your time.

Moral of the post: You YOURSELF should be irritated by this -
Is #8 just a really harder than usual and I should just forget about it...?

I know Gatorade probably took this test already but I see that many people are discussing which tests are particularly hard. I understand that discussing them can be fun and interesting, but it can be potentially harmful if you dismiss a low score on a particular test because it was extra difficult. The AAMC's are all about the same difficulty. If you found AAMC 8 hard, it was because you were weak in the topics that it covered. Make sure to identify those topics and review them until you know them cold. Find relevant practice questions to get more exposure. A test that you struggle with is one of the most powerful MCAT learning tools because it can reveal to you several weaknesses that you may have.

Also, don't dismiss any question as a "silly mistake." Every single question you answer wrong is a new opportunity to find out how you can improve before test day. Even if your mistake was misreading the question, note it. Then, make a goal to eliminate all instances of misreadings.

If you are rushing through questions, take a step back and reconsider your time management during the exam. Are you forced to rush because you are having trouble finishing sections? Or are you rushing because you just want to get the section over as soon as possible?

I know it's discouraging to score poorly on a practice test, but remaining positive is crucial to doing well on the exam. Don't lose sight of the fact that practice tests are there for you to make mistakes so you don't make them again on the real thing.

Last edited: