Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering exactly what Work really is.
I was under the impression that W was when E was added or taken away from the system.
But consider a ball being dropped from 100m to 1m. The E of the system (T=KE+PE) is identical throughout the system, yet W is being done by gravity on the ball.
So W is being done, although the E of the system remains unchanged.
So what exactly is W?
Is it when E is add/taken away AND when E is changed from KE to PE?
I was under the impression that W was when E was added or taken away from the system.
But consider a ball being dropped from 100m to 1m. The E of the system (T=KE+PE) is identical throughout the system, yet W is being done by gravity on the ball.
So W is being done, although the E of the system remains unchanged.
So what exactly is W?
Is it when E is add/taken away AND when E is changed from KE to PE?
Last edited: